Author Topic: Both grateful and a little bitter...  (Read 1414 times)

Seradan

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Both grateful and a little bitter...
« on: December 24, 2007, 10:02:36 PM »
As someone who has been poking around ideas for the last ten years or so in hopes of coming up with something solid enough to eventually make into a novel, I am both frustrated and enthused after having discovered your writing. In a way, you've told the story, at least in part, that I've always wanted to tell. This sucks in the same way that realizing that Darth Vader's fall from grace made him even more similar to the repentent villain of my imaginings.

I suppose, to put it objectively, that I am bitter that you've already tread the path that I had been seeking for so long, and yet grateful to know that another author felt the same way about the genre as a whole. Someone else was tired of the cliches and hang ups that the genre suffers so much from, and took a drastically different direction for their musings. I'm also grateful because you have shown that one need not follow The Heros Journey in order to make their work palatable to a general readership.

I do not know if I will ever finish or publish a novel at this point. But I do know that if I don't, you have walked the path and shown me some semblance of a dream realized. It is vicarious, I'll admit, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

I assure you that if you screw up IMOL, my verbal stoning will be at least slightly hesitant for that which you have gotten right :D