Author Topic: Publication schedule...  (Read 3375 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Publication schedule...
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »
So, I know that I've seen a few pre-MoL publications schedules for you Brandon, but I was curious what kind of changes were going to occur to it now that you have the Wheel of Time deal going.  I'm guessing that Mistborn 3 release won't be affected much, just curious about everything else.  Are you putting most of it aside until the "biggie" is done?  What can we expect?
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Publication schedule...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 04:56:43 AM »
Yes, I've been wondering that too...
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:06:20 AM »
Brandon talked about this in his blog this week:
3) The "Current Projects" list on my website.  It, obviously, needs to be switched up.   Here's what's happening book-by-book.

Mistborn Three:  Copyedit done, turned in.  All that is left is a quick proofread, which I'll probably have my wife/friends do so that I can focus on A Memory of Light.  I took the bar down.

Alcatraz Two: I have the copyedit left to do on that one, and it's due on Monday.  I've left the bar up for now, since I can get it done before January, which is when I'll start on A Memory of Light.

Alcatraz Three:  Rough draft done, this one doesn't need to be looked at again until September, by which time I hope to have the rough draft of A Memory of Light done and in Harriet's hands.  I should have a month's time then to revise other projects.  Bar taken down until then.

Warbreaker:  I REALLY need to get 4.0 of this done before I start on A memory of Light, and so I've left the bar up.  I'll be working on this as soon as I get the Alcatraz Two copyedit done.  Bar left up for now.

Dark One:  This was an 'on spec' novel I was working on.  That means it had no contract, and I was fiddling with it in my spare time, with the hope of one day finding a home for it.  'Spare time' is no longer something I have.  Bar removed.

Scribbler:  Same as Dark One.  Bar removed.

Warbreaker Two:  Not sure right now if I want to do Warbreaker 2 immediately.  You see, it would come out the year after A Memory of Light.  I'm leaning toward doing something big that year--launch of a new epic--rather than doing the second book of a two-book series.  Warbreaker Two will get written someday, but the first book is a stand-alone, and it doesn't demand an immediate sequel.  We'll see, but for now, this bar is gone.

In addition to all of that, I've added a bar relating to A Memory of Light.  Step one is to do a complete read-through of all eleven books, making notes on speech patterns, thought patterns, and the narrative personalities of all the main characters.  That'll probably take me through January, but we shall see. 

Only Alcatraz books and Mistborn 3 were scheduled (unless Warbreaker had a release date already), and those will stay the same. It doesn't take long for Brandon to write Alcatraz books, so he should have no problem writing Alcatraz 4 after AMoL is done. I'm itching for more Scribbler, but it hasn't even been shopped around yet, since Scholastic has dibs on Brandon's next kids' book, and I heard Scholastic may not be the best fit for Scribbler. (I hope he can sell it to HarperCollins, since we have a manga copublishing deal with them, and it would make an awesome manga...)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:14:05 AM by Mokfather »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 05:19:32 PM »
Sweet. Thanks, Ookla. I was going to hop over to his blog sometime. Just hadn't had the chance yet. I'm glad MB3 and Alcatraz won't be affected. I haven't read Scribbler, though I am very curious. So I guess I can't miss what I haven't read. Speaking of what I haven't read... I'm debating whether to tackle the WoT or not. I've had my reasons to stay away, but darn it, I'm really excited to see what EUOL does with the final book.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 11:44:36 PM »
Now that is good information to know.. I am glad AMoL wont hold up MB3 as I have been waiting for AMoL and so waiting a bit longer wont matter, but MB & MB2 are still fresh for me so I want to read MB3 ASAP.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:57:25 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I know I was wondering about that.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 02:01:08 AM »
Brandon puts lots of useful info on his blog, which is available on his website, or livejournal, or facebook, or maybe even a few other mirrors.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 02:15:24 AM »
I guess I am going to have to start reading it.. I dunno.. I just have this thing about blogs... like I never read them.. yet I will sit on forums for hours.. I am odd

**goes off to contemplate why he is biased against blogs**
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »
don't worry Daarian, you're not the only one. I even have a long list of bookmarks of friends' blogs that I tried reading regularly a while back.

I'm sorry friends, but you couldn't hook me into coming back.

Yet I will visit a comic site after it stops updating without an announcement... just in case.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »
For me it depends on the blog.

I don't like personal blogs much at all, but I read sites like Engadget and Joystiq quite often and I see Brandon's site being more like those two (tho with less updates) then I do personal blogs.  Ya Brandon mentions some personal stuff but he tries to keep his more to the writer aspect of his life.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 11:43:22 PM »
Yeah.. but I would only check RJs blog like.. every couple weeks.. if I remembered.. blogs just arent interactive enough for me

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 12:53:13 AM »
They're not ment to be (which is probably why you don't like them) they're just ways to quickly get out information with less oversite that a news site or other website would have.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 10:17:53 PM »
Found this  on his website, under Articles.  It's not dated, but it seems to have been written no later than early summer 2007.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/50/Upcoming-Books-by-Brandon-(And-Warbreaker-deal-news)

So, for those of you who have asked, here is my upcoming book schedule:
July 2007, Mistborn 1 paperback
August 2007, Mistborn 2 hardback
October 2007, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians Hardback
May 2008 (tentative) Mistborn 3 hardback
Fall 2008 Alcatraz 2
May 2009 Warbreaker
Fall 2009 Alcatraz 3
January 2010 Warbreaker 2
August 2010 Liar of Partinel (Dragonsteel 1)
Fall 2010 Alcatraz 4
May 2011 Dragonsteel 2

It's been a year, and the schedule has been pushed around a bit.  So, what have we got?  I know Mistborn 3 just finished the proofreading process and then went to the publishers.  So is that on track to come out in May 2008?  I don't know enough about the publishing business to say. 

And Memory of Light should go in here somewhere, right?  Anyone know what the estimated release date is on that?

Then we have everything else, and I don't know a thing about those.

So, who knows something?  What's the new schedule?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 11:02:37 PM »
The Alcatraz books' schedule stays the same, but I think everything else (after MB3 in Oct. 2008) is delayed—Warbreaker is the most complete, so it might be the least delayed.

The first draft of MoL should be done by the end of this year, with publication projected for Fall 2009.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »
Thanks, Ookla.