Author Topic: Mistborn 2 Question (spoiler possible) and Thanks! :)  (Read 1496 times)

Shekotka

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn 2 Question (spoiler possible) and Thanks! :)
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:33:20 AM »
First, I'd like to say congratulations to Brandon for being selected to write AMOL, and second, I'd like to say Thank You! for having such a prolific presence online, both with your website and blog(s) and here in this wonderful forum that I have discovered entirely due to your mention of it on your livejournal.

I'm absolutely thrilled you were chosen for AMOL, because I'm sad to say I hadn't heard of your books before, and after reading  the announcement on dragonmount.com, as well as your interview, I was treated to the pleasure of reading the first few chapters of Mistborn1 on your website.

I've since devoured that book, all the annotations (brilliant idea, doing those, btw! ), and I'm about a third of the way through Mistborn 2. Needless to say, I have full faith in your ability to do AMOL justice, and I look forward to finishing your wonderful MB series and reading Warbreaker and Elantris (as soon as it arrives in the mail), and anything and everything new you have to offer in the future. 

I also hope you'll finish the annotations for Mistborn 2 in the relatively near future, but I can understand you have quite a bit on your plate at the moment, so here is my question in the mean-time (whenever you have a moment to answer, or if anyone else can answer this, I'd be grateful)...

In the beginning of Chapter 24, Vin is sitting on the roof of Keep Venture, contemplating Mist spirits, Alendi's logbook, and the "strange thumping" she hears while burning Bronze. It's stated that

"She had asked Clubs to burn bronze, and he had claimed to hear nothing from the north. Either he was the kandra, lying to her about his ability to burn bronze, or Vin could hear a rhythm that nobody else could."

I thought Clubs was a Smoker, and could therefore only burn copper? Mistings can only burn one metal can't they? I just read Mistborn 1, and my memory can't be that bad, plus in the Ars Arcanum it does say that Mistings can only burn one metal and that Clubs is a Smoker and Smokers burn copper, so was this intended to be someone else? I could totally just be confused or have missed something here?

Also, wouldn't Vin be able to tell he was burning a metal, since she can always tell, even through a coppercloud, if someone is burning a metal? 

Thanks again for your attention, and for gifting us with your captivating stories and characters! I'm sure the exposure from AMOL will gain you many new fans, and I'm so glad, because your work is really quite exceptional, and truly deserves it. I'm very excited to have been introduced to your writing, and as I said, you've earned yourself a permanent fan (who may occasionally ask crazy questions, hope you don't mind ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:37:36 AM by Shekotka »

VegasDev

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 2 Question (spoiler possible) and Thanks! :)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 02:02:30 AM »
Per EUOL in a Mistborn 2 Error thread:

Sigh.  I explained this one to Ookla when we had dinner the other night, but I should explain it here too.

This one got introduced late in the editing process as I was shuffling around several plots.  In the original, way back planning stages of the series, Clubs was going to be a Seeker and Marsh a Smoker.  I swapped that, but I've NEVER been able to shake it from my subconscious.  Kind of like the way that Tin used to be Silver.  (I worry about getting that one mixed up in places too.)

Nice catch, and sorry for the error.  We'll get it removed for the second printing.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Shekotka

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 2 Question (spoiler possible) and Thanks! :)
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:41:44 AM »
Ah, I see :). Glad to know I'm not crazy ;). Thanks!