Author Topic: The Hobbit!!!!!  (Read 7189 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: The Hobbit!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »
yes. many times. In many roles. I still say David Bowie > You

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 06:29:47 PM »
David Bowie is a god among men, the likes of which only Billy Idol can compare too.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »
Billy Idol,

AND HIS DAD!:

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 08:38:40 PM »
Oh dear me.....David Bowie frightens me......I was fine with the Laberynth until HE showed up.....

Please, nobodies are best for this kind of movie with the exception of a certain select few (like Ian McKellan)

George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 06:18:04 AM »
Wow... some people like David Bowie...

This is a revelation to me... is there a movie or something he's been in that I could watch and understand possibly why people aren't as freaked out by him as I am?
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »
it seems to me that if you were fine until Bowie showed up, you couldn't have been fine for very long. Doesn't he appear like, 5 minutes in?

You guys *do* realize that Bowie is not primarily a movie star, right? He's released around thirty albums as a musician and performer. He's one of the great music geniuses of popular music. In all seriousness, he belongs in the same category as Bob Dylan and the Beatles.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 05:46:50 PM »
I can see how someone could be freaked out by David Bowie. That being said, I am afraid that I agree with SE, he is a genius, as a showman and a singer/songwriter. I love his music, have since I was a child, and I loved Labyrinth more because of his role in it. I don't see that it would have been nearly as good with someone else in that role. Just my two cents.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 11:14:44 PM »
it seems to me that if you were fine until Bowie showed up, you couldn't have been fine for very long. Doesn't he appear like, 5 minutes in?

You guys *do* realize that Bowie is not primarily a movie star, right? He's released around thirty albums as a musician and performer. He's one of the great music geniuses of popular music. In all seriousness, he belongs in the same category as Bob Dylan and the Beatles.

Right... and that's what makes him scary as an actor. I'm having a hard time thinking of a musician who has made a non-scary transition to film...

But it's all just speculation. :)
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 05:38:52 PM »
I agree that most musicians are aweful in film.

However, I can't say that about David Bowie. He does a good job in Labyrinth despite how cheesy the movie is and gives an incredible performance in The Prestige. Not to mention he has several voice acting credits.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »
He was great in The Prestige. Completely transparent.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »
honestly, I like Will Smith. For someone who started his career rapping with DJ Jazzy Jeff he makes a decent action star. Hardly the best actor out there, but he could hardly be called "scary." And let's face it, Phil Collin's 30 seconds in Hook weren't horrible (however, the rest of his movie career helps your case). Oh, and Ice Cube. He hasn't been all bad either.

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 03:19:50 PM »
Y'know, those are some good examples.

I'm not a J-Lo fan, but I will admit I did like the movie that was almost like a remake of the Julia Roberts one... gimme a moment... Enough. That's it. She actually did a decent job in that one. I'm not really sure if she's an actress turned singer or singer turned actress though.

As a sidenote, I loved Labyrinth as a kid. It's been a while, but I'd love to see it again - I'd stick it beside my copy of The Dark Crystal. Hehe. Wasn't Bowie's character supposed to really eccentric and a bit creepy? I'm pretty sure the feeling it gives you was intentional, that's how they made the character.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 05:17:06 PM »
As a sidenote, I loved Labyrinth as a kid. It's been a while, but I'd love to see it again - I'd stick it beside my copy of The Dark Crystal. Hehe. Wasn't Bowie's character supposed to really eccentric and a bit creepy? I'm pretty sure the feeling it gives you was intentional, that's how they made the character.

Very eccentric and really creepy.  Good role casting!!  ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262