Author Topic: The Hobbit!!!!!  (Read 7190 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
The Hobbit!!!!!
« on: December 18, 2007, 08:23:01 PM »
Hey all. I just saw this, and I can't express how excited I am. Peter Jackson and New Line have kissed and made up, and things are on for two more LOTR films. The first will be the Hobbit, the second will be a bridge between the Hobbit and Fellowship. Jackson's going to at the very least executive produce. No word on if he'll direct as well or not. But still--I think this is awesome news.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35108

http://community.thehobbitsite.com

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »
I think I'm happy about this. The second movie they propose has be both intrigued and worried. I'm okay with Tolkien's world moving beyond what he originally created. I think it has generally gotten bigger than him. I do have hope for the Hobbit translating well to screen. It really isn't a bad story, all a lot of what happens will work better told visually than in writing.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:45:26 PM »
The idea of a second movie strikes me as bizarre. Not sure what it could cover. Balin's trip back to Moria?

Very cool to get a new Hobbit movie, though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »
I agree with Mokfather.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »
Hoooooray! More hobbitses. I'm extra excited about this, although I can't figure out either what the second movie woudl be about. Hmmm.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 08:05:44 PM »
I'm not sure what they would do as a second movie for the Hobbit.  What story would they tell, unless the break the Hobbit in two.

Also, I'm not sure Peter Jackson is the right person for this movie.  Granted, I am not a Hobbit fan, the overall tone of The Hobbit is far different than Lord of the Rings.  It's more of a children story as opposed to a story for adults.   I don't know if PJ has the ability to direct something like that.  It's got to be more than just special effects and action scenes.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 08:45:40 PM »
I can't wait for the Hobbit to be made! I've been hoping for this kind of announcement for ages!
 Why are they going to bridge the two? Why not spend some of that energy and film some of the stories in the Silmarillion?? There are some really excellent things in there that rarely see the light of day. :(
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 05:52:29 AM »
Peter Jackson will be producing, not directing (he's busy directing other things for the next coupld years). They're still looking for a director.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 09:00:55 AM »
Because it's never too early to have a blog about the movie.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Jhaeli

• Level 3
  • Oh the weather outside is frightful...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 03:25:32 PM »
I'd like to see what they're going to do for The Hobbit - and I'm curious to know what the second movie will be about. I think the two books managed to transition themselves just fine, I don't see the need for another one.

Here's hoping they don't turn into just another cruddy moneymaking POS, like they did with the sequels to Pirates of the Carribean, the Matrix, etc. My apologies if anyone is a fan of the sequels of either of those movies, but I disliked the second sequels for both and have yet to see the third.

EDIT: As a final note, I'm a bigger fan of the books than I am the movies, despite having read the books second. They took out so much, which is understandable from a filmmaker's point of view, but was disappointing as a fan, even with the special edition versions.
"My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word to make you hear, to make you feel - it is, before all, to make you see." - Joseph Conrad

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 07:46:02 PM »
I am eager to see what they do with The Hobbit. I love the book, as I did the others. I am not sure about a middle movie though, but will probably see it, if for no other reason than to see what they made it about.

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 01:28:35 AM »
Has anyone else seen this link? It reminds me of why I truly loathe MTV....

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1577524/20071221/story.jhtml?rsspartner=rssYahooNewscrawler

I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry when they suggested David Bowie for the role of Thranduil.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 01:57:15 PM »
David Bowie as anythign would rock.

David Bowie > you.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 09:32:05 PM »
I must respectfully disagree.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 06:40:05 AM »
David Bowie as anythign would rock.

David Bowie > you.

You've seen David Bowie, right? :o
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift