Author Topic: What books did you grow up on?  (Read 14036 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What books did you grow up on?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 12:11:54 AM »
You read Heinlein as a 12-year old? My brain exploded during some of his stuff when I read it in college. Were you some sort of CIA Youth League Operative Ninja?

I think we're on to her....

Really though I don't think all of his stories are complicated at all. He wrote...Red Planet, right? What about Tunnel in the Sky?  Or am I thinking of Asimov...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2008, 12:18:51 AM »
I am thinking more of his short stories I guess. All you zombies, And He Built a Crooked House, and They were some of the stuff I started with. I read Stranger in a Strangeland...and I honestly want the three months of my life that I spent reading that book back.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2008, 01:12:35 AM »
I read The Number of the Beast and Time Enough for Love when I was in 6th grade.  But I missed a lot, like all the sex.  I just read what my Dad had.

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 12:59:42 AM »
... I read pretty much every Black Stallion book I could get my hands on at that age. I think I may have read them all at some point in my youth. I loved books about horses, and The Secret Garden and The Little Princess, when I was about eight I think.

Ditto for me.

Loved Walter Farley's horse stories in 3-4th grade, especially The Horse Tamer, my fave. Loved Bev. Cleary's Ramona books at that time, also. I've read through Lord of the Rings about once per decade since junior high.  Well, I may not read it again since it's nicer to put on the dvd and watch with kids now. 

Was entranced by Heinlein in high school, but now reject his worldview completely.  Didn't read anything memorable in school and missed many classics I've since discovered on my own, like My Antonia (most recent), Jane Austen and many others.  So sad that any mention of "God" results in a book neglected by public school curricula these days. 

Oh, and I used to read all my dad's Ian Fleming books and got hooked on the spy thriller.  Best spy novels eventually discovered: almost anything by Len Deighton. 

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
I had a bunch of favorites I used to reread like 4 times a year: Chronicles of Narnia, the Little House books, anything by Madeleine L'Engle, and Anne of Green Gables.  I grew up in Africa, so my selection was limited to what my parents brought with us.  I also liked the Ramona books, The Black Stallion, Brighty of the Grand Canyon and some random book about a hippo swimming race where the protagonist pulls off the swimming trunks of his cheating competitor.
He ate my horse.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »
Hey has anyone mentioned Indian In The Cupboard? OHM that was my favorite book when I was little.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »
Definitely a good book for its age group. The skinhead plot in at least one of the sequels kind of lost me though.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
I loved most of Enid Blyton's books (Malory Towers, The Famous Five, The Naughtiest girl, St. Clare, The Secret Seven, The Circus series). I guess I read almost every book from those collections. I liked comics too, Spanish ones (Zipi y Zape, Mortadelo y Filemón).