Author Topic: review: Blood Bound  (Read 3703 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Blood Bound
« on: January 08, 2008, 05:17:38 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: review: Blood Bound
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 09:57:46 PM »
Does this book have sexual content?  It seems that most of these kinds of books do, and it really annoys me because it always seems so superfluous.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »
No, actually. The romance is pretty tame (in this book there's a brief make-out session), although, of course, there is sexual innuendo. Which is surprizing since you can see her bra on the front cover. LOL.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:36:32 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:18:07 PM »
Most of the Patricia Briggs stuff is good about that.  There's sensuality, but usually not much explicit sexuality.  Jim Butcher's Dresden Files are good about that too.  These books do make me laugh when I look at the covers though because they just don't go with my impressions of the character.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:51:58 AM »
Cool, you found time to read it. :) Very good review. I'm just upset that Briggs never stays in one world for long. No more Adam and Mercy or Stephen. waaaaaa.

Oh, by the way, you may want to be explain up front that she can change into a coyote--you mentioned that in the first book's review, but not this one. And you only allude to it.

Right now I'm reading Raven's Strike, which is my favorite set of her books so far. The first book is Raven's Shadow. I highly recommend them both. The magic and character motivations are so much more vivid and compelling not to mention even more artful plotting.

And, as for sexuality, Briggs is pretty good about keeping her novels from being sleazy, despite the covers. A friend of mine loaned me Steal the Dragon and I balked a little given the scantily clad, exotic looking woman. But he reassured me that the books don't have that somewhat smutty vibe that the covers push. With Butcher, though, I found quite a few scenes that were pretty darn explicit over the course of several books, esp. if compared to Briggs.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:55:13 AM by All of the other shraindeer »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »
That's good to know.  Thanks!
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:14:32 AM »
Hey, Blood Bound! There's something about they Mercy Thompson novels that I just love.

I agree with your review, the book was a lot tighter than the other one, and the plot wasn't so all over the place. Although, I think I liked the first one better, still. I really liked the Werewolf society she created, I thought it was interesting and creative. But I felt that the Vampires were about as generic as they got. I like Stefen, don't get me wrong, but when it came to their workings and society there wasn't anything that new or different.

CSmythe

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
I will agree that Blood Bound was a nicely put together book. And also that the vampires seemed a little too stereotypical. I do wish that I had stopped with this book though, Iron Kissed (the next novel in the series) takes some pretty dark and disturbing turns particualrly at the end which I didn't much care for.

I personally love Jim Butcher for my urban fantasy but if you like the Mercy stories I also recommend picking up Bitten by Kelly Armstrong and going though her Women of the Oetherworld series. They are a lot of fun though they do have more overt sex then Briggs' stories.

Nice review, thanks for taking the time.