Author Topic: Brisingr *SPOILERS*  (Read 2219 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Brisingr *SPOILERS*
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:54:18 PM »
I thought we needed a discussion thread for it.  I will write a review later, but I just wanted to talk about it and assumed there would be spoilers.

LIKE OMG BROM IS ERAGON'S DAD!?!?!?  That threw me for a loop.  I had basically every but that figured out.  I KINDA had the heart of heart thing figured out.  Like I assumed it was from the old dragons/riders, but I didn't know how.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
Re: Brisingr *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 01:34:55 AM »
I was hoping someone would write a review soon  :P If no one else had in a couple days I would have started to write something up  :D

With the Brom thing I was like, "Are you serious?" I was actually really annoyed about that. It basically negates the entire twist for book two.

Also did anyone else think it was kind've funny when Eragon had that dream about Morzan? To me it seemed like it was almost a word for word transcript of when Darth Vader is talking to Luke...right before he cuts off his arm...

"Lu...Eragon! Join me as father and son and we shall be invincible! We will overthrow the Emperor!!" I was pretty much expecting Eragon's hand to plop off right before he falls down a giant shaft...

Ok it sounds like I am being extraordinarily critical. There were many things I did like about the book. The dialogue has improved greatly. Especially the scenes between Orik and Eragon, i thought they seemed very real and genuine. (the dialogue has seemed kind've stilted to me in previous books.)

Also the few opening scenes where Roran and Eragon are about to attack the Ra'zac I thought were very well described. I felt like I was watching a movie the way he described the dust, the barrenness, and the foliage digging into Eragon's palms.
Again where Eragon was talking to Sloan, I thought I could see some great growth in his character there. Finally Eragon is the mysterious, powerful, dangerous wizard figure. Even if it is to a pathetic, blind old man.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:17:29 AM »
Yeah. he has improved, even though I think it could have used one more drafting to refine the rough parts.  He still leaves me wonting when it comes to grammar.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:47:59 AM »
I was hoping someone would write a review soon  :P If no one else had in a couple days I would have started to write something up  :D

I was planning on writing a review as soon as I finished reading it next week, but you are invited to write a review if you would like and using the SUBMIT AN ARTICLE link from the front page.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 06:59:10 PM »
Nessa, I just submitted a review of Brisingr. Hopefully it is up to standards :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Bastille

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:25:59 PM »
When I found out that Brom was Eragons father that through me and my friend through a loop as well.  I thought that being Morzans dad was enough of a surprise!!
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.