Author Topic: Independant Study  (Read 10371 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Independant Study
« on: December 15, 2004, 04:28:39 PM »
So, I had this brilliant idea that I could just take my advanced language requirement through independant study.  I mean, I understand french pretty well--especially if I'm reading and not speaking, so sitting in 202 drove me nuts.  So I'd do independant study and get it done.  No problem.  

What I forgot was that I have no discipline.  Things only get done when I'm excited about them.  And I am not excited about this class.  

I really need to get it done before my graduate application goes through, because it's replacing a grade that I'd rather not have in my GPA.  

But, instead of working on it like I'm supposed to be, since I set aside this whole day to get a chunk of it done, I've spent the last hour here, wasting time.  

Independant study is just not a good idea, I've decided.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Independant Study
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 04:46:07 PM »
yeah, I've been studying for the A+ exam like that for years. I'm finally biting the bullet and taking a class.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 04:50:11 PM »
Thing is, I have like 400 dollars sunk into this thing.  Ick!

Arg.  I give up.  Having learned nothing about french romanticism, I'm going home to get some food.  I'll try again later.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 05:09:22 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 12:24:37 AM »
I finished my degree through independent study. I loved it. Course, having a job where I have about 6 hours of nothing to do, but sit at a desk, makes it a lot easier.

I'm fairly motivated to teach myself as long as I set deadlines and stuff for myself. I actually like not having to perform in a classroom setting.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 11:12:44 AM »
SaintNicholas
yeah, I've been studying for the A+ exam like that for years. I'm finally biting the bullet and taking a class

Is that the A+ Comptia cert? If so, there are plenty of sites that help out. I myself have that cert from a previous life, and if you know anything about computers, it really isn't to bad. I'd be happy to direct you to a place that can help you out.
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 11:48:07 AM »
Yeah, the Comptia one. I'll also be looking at the Network+ and possibly their *nix one too.

I'm sure i'll do well when I finally actually prepare for the test -- I'm a smart guy and I have loads of experience with computers: building, supporting, etc.

I have a lot of training materials, I just never LOOK at them. That's my ADD coming in. I have to have a schedule that other people depend on to get me to do anything about it. It's not that I think I have to have someone else give it to me, it's that I won't do any studying other wise.

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
I'm the same way as far as studing go. Even when I took the A+ exam I tried to study, but I couldn't. The night before I had the exam is when I studied, and I practicly aced the exam. The network+ cert I needed a little more time, to study so I gave myself three days. It sounds like you have about the same ecperiance I have with computers, so you should do fine.
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 06:33:17 PM »
So, I'm going to die.  I now have three days left on my course, three exams to take, a three page paper to write (a bigger deal in French than in English) and no studying done whatsoever.  And if I don't pass, I don't graduate.  And I have no motivation to work on it.  It's amazing the amount of junk I've gotten done avoiding it over the last several days.  Why do I do this to myself?  Ak!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 06:46:36 PM »
Fist, you need to tell yourself you can do it. Second, with such short time left, you need to tell yourself that it doesn't need to be perfect. The goal is to graduate, and believe it or not "Cs" get degrees.

My experience is that Independent study can put some dumb restrictions as to timing, but it is possible to complete everything in a quick amount of time.

Also, you may want to petition to get some extended time. It can be kind of hard with IS courses since they give you a year to complete the course. If the only deadline you are trying to meet is graduation deadline, contact the graduation office. You should be able to work something out.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 06:55:58 PM »
Yeah I think you can pay like $10 or $20 and get an extension can't you?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 07:58:54 PM »
Write your paper in english and then translate it to French--it is easier than thinking in a language you aren't fluent in.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 11:05:42 PM »
42 and Fuzzy--Sadly I paid for my three month extension back in November.  In short, there is no excuse for me.  

I'm not quite fluent in french, but I can read and write and mostly speak in it no problem at all.  It's actually much much easier for me to just think in french and write in french than to translate into english and back into french.  The issue is that it's a french literature class, so I have bazillions of little details to know, and I don't know them.  

*Fish takes a deep breath and chants

I can deal with this...I can deal with this...I will not panic...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 11:06:00 PM by MsFish »

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 11:09:21 PM »
We need twenty cc's of confidence over here, STAT!
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 11:10:40 PM »
And a couple cc's of photographic memory, while you're at it.  

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 11:11:08 PM by MsFish »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 11:12:45 PM »
/me waves wand
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!