Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52104 times)

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2010, 09:31:35 AM »
I heard he was going to finish the Wheel of Time, so I started reading his books and liked them.

Same here. Though to be honest, if I had seen his books earlier, I would have read them years ago. Unfortunately Brandon's books weren't available in Australia at the time (in fact the Mistborn Trilogy was only released about 3 months ago). So even when I had heard about Brandon through WoT, it took me some time to get the books shipped from the US.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
Yea, I'm a WoT-fan (there never was a good name for us, meh  :-\) and when I saw Warbreaker on manybooks.net, I downloaded it.
I'm not sure when I started reading Mistborn, before, during or after Warbreaker (maybe I was abour an alien ship during that time).

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
I was looking through my highschool library and I pulled out the book next to Elantris, which promptly fell to the floor, and since it looked interesting I decided to read it

Winterdawn Lor'ee

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
My best friend was reading Elantris and she loaned it to me after she finished.  I read it, got my husband to read it, and we loved it and eventually read Warbreaker and Mistborn, and now The Way of Kings.  I've started reading The Wheel of Time because Mr. Sanderson is finishing it.
~ Winterdawn Lor'ee ~
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Albert Einstein

BlueRuin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2010, 01:32:19 AM »
I found a Mistborn paperback at the bookstore. I read the first paragraph in chapter one and was hooked.

The ash fall description was such a great evocative image I just had to know more.

bookWorm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »
I only came across him after Robert Jordon died, but since then I have been doing my duty and spreading Sandersonism. My brothers, (who haven't read Wheel of Time yet) all love him, and my younger sisters have loved the Alcatraz books. I have yet to feel anything even close to regret for buying the first Mistborn book and then every other book of his that I could get my hands on.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »
Its amazing how many people I have recommend Brandon's books to have been reluctant at first to do so. But I push and I push and I push, so they relent a little, read the first chapter, but by then they are 100% hooked, and then spend the next days just reading his books and doing nothing else.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Raketen

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2010, 02:00:04 AM »
I found out about Brandon Sanderson after the announsment that he would finish The Wheel of Times series (Like alot of others I guess). Both a very sad and joyous time all together. RIP James :(

Its amazing how many people I have recommend Brandon's books to have been reluctant at first to do so. But I push and I push and I push, so they relent a little, read the first chapter, but by then they are 100% hooked, and then spend the next days just reading his books and doing nothing else.

I know what you mean. I bugged my brother for 2 weaks before I got him to read it and now he wont stop! He keeps asking me from time too time to lend him books from my Brandon Sanderson collection. Very satisfactory  :)

Celegus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 13, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
I've been pestering my wife for a while now to read something of his to see if she likes it, and promised she'll read Mistborn soon. If she doesn't like them, that's grounds for divorce right? ;D

My first Brandon book was Mistborn after I started getting back into reading a couple years ago with A Song of Ice and Fire, and then it kept showing up in the "similar products" on Amazon on other books I liked. I blasted through them and all of his other books faster than I've ever read before, and then the annotations on the website really solidified him as my favorite author ever.

EvilNuff

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2010, 02:17:21 AM »
Warbreaker...a free book how can I pass that up?  Oh wait this is actually pretty good...hmm this is quite good...hmm he has other books?  Well this way of kings thing sounds pretty interesting...what the heck I liked warbreaker I should donate or something...might as well just buy one of his books this time.  Oh...way of kings is pretty fantastic...  Hmm what else has he written?  <present day> :)

jkincaid

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2010, 03:08:05 AM »
Elantris was suggested to me on Amazon after it had received some award, I forget what it was.  The book had rave reviews, and it was a standalone fantasy book, which was all but unheard of for me in all the years I'd been reading fantasy.  I waited a bit until it was out in paperback, just cause I've become cautious buying hardcovers for authors new to me.  Anyway I read Elantris back in 2006, and I've been a huge Sanderson fan ever since. 

junestormcrow

• Level 1
  • It's revolution baby!
    • View Profile
    • House of Harnoeth
« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2010, 11:19:41 PM »
The first year I did NaNo he was on the fantasy forum taking about how he managed to get published. He seemed nice and so when I saw Elantris on the shelf when I went to buy my prize for winning I picked it up. His take over of WoT was just a bonus for me, I was already hooked on Mistborn and ecstatic I could stick my tongue out at my brother because I knew the WoT would finally be finished and he made fun of me for years for following a series that would never be complete. 
“Everyone is dying. Of course, in Pishtar, this is the way of the world.” Salvatar, Ctharu general.

http://www.twitter.com/junestormcrow
http://houseofharnoeth.blogspot.com

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2010, 12:29:26 AM »
I found out about Brandon after he was picked to finish WoT, read Elantris to find out if this random author I'd never heard of was any good,  got sucked in, and the rest is history.

Zombric

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 19, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »
I saw his work on TV Tropes and got interested, so I got some of his books from my library. My first thought were , HOLY CRAP THESE ARE HUGE, so I started with the one easeist to digest, Mistborn. I'm almost done, and I am loving it.

randomaximus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
Wheel of Time --> Mistborn --> Elantris --> Warbreaker --> Another Wheel of Time --> The Way of Kings --> Met him 3 days ago at the B & N booksigning in Bountiful, UT.  Thank goodness I live in Salt Lake.  He is awesome.  Great guy, respectful, gracious, and patient with the fans, and great author. 

Have influenced 7 people so far to be huge fans.  (e.g. "Do you want your life to be better?  Then you need to know about this guy.")