Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52095 times)

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2010, 07:10:29 AM »
...The exciting version, however, involves corruption, deceit, monumental explosions and plenty of violence.
It all ends with me receiving a free copy of the book after I saved the Queen from ninja assassins. 

That happened to you too? If your ninja assassins were also monkeys, I'm gonna freak...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

WrittenOnTheStars

• Level 2
  • Paradigms are for the weak-minded
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2010, 07:35:36 AM »
Well... my sister gave me Elantris for my birthday because she had read it and had had dinner with Mr. Sanderson and talked to him. Took me about almost two years to finally crack open Elantris. I started it a few times, but I just couldn't get into it. I just wasn't ready for epic fantasy yet. Well...that all changed after Elantris. When I actually sat down to read it, it took me about three days to get through. I was moving about 1000 miles during this time and so I wasn't much help as I was tired everyday from staying up late reading Elantris. And, in order to finish Elantris, I stayed up until 2 a.m. (when I should have been sleeping because I was helping drive up to where I was moving) and read the entire third part in that night. It was pretty epic.

Needless to say, Sanderson books have hooked me onto the epic fantasy genre. Instead of going to the YA section first of a store, I head straight to the fantasy/sci-fi section. It's pretty much awesome. It's about a year later since I first picked and read Elantris and I've now read all Sanderson epic fantasy books and am on my way cruising through book 3 of WoT and I am so excited for WoK it's not even funny. Sanderson seriously has me hooked on an entire genre now and I'm loving this fact.  ;D
"So this is how liberty dies, by thunderous applause." – Padmé Amidala, Star Wars Episode Three: Revenge of the Sith

DeathBite

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »
...The exciting version, however, involves corruption, deceit, monumental explosions and plenty of violence.
It all ends with me receiving a free copy of the book after I saved the Queen from ninja assassins. 

That happened to you too? If your ninja assassins were also monkeys, I'm gonna freak...

Well they were orangutans.  :o Pretty much the same, both in the ape family..
My peace is gone,
My heart is heavy,
I will find it never
and never more.     - Goethe

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »

Well they were orangutans.  :o Pretty much the same, both in the ape family..

I know a librarian who would disagree with you.  Violently.
Nature hates being reified.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2010, 08:02:30 AM »
I found out about Brandon when, in an attempt to reacquaint myself with the fantasy genre I'd lost touch with, I walked into a bookstore. I looked in the fantasy section and found Mistborn. I read the back cover and was intrigued enough to buy it - moreso than by any of the other stuff on the shelves. I was rewarded heavily for that gamble, and was so emphatic about my love for the book that my best friend went out and got me the next two books in the series. In fact, the Mistborn trilogy inspired me to start writing myself, and its been a lot of fun. So I've got him to thank for that as well.

I think I've got to get on some of Brandon's other books, though. I think there's a larger picture I'm missing.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
I think I've got to get on some of Brandon's other books, though. I think there's a larger picture I'm missing.

An entire universe of a picture you are missing, though most of it comes from QnA and theorizing on here until certain books come to light and give us more information.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
well then I better get to it! I'm gonna head down to the library and try to get Elantris tomorrow.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2010, 01:02:41 PM »
Interestingly my city library has three campuses and they've disposed of every copy of Sanderson's work.  They never purchased Mistborn, so we're talking about Elantris and the Alcatraz books.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »

Oh noes!  The librarians are catching on!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
Mine is nowhere near as special as a lot of yours. I probably fall under a large majority of the people.

I heard about Brandon when he was announced to finish the WoT. I will admit I was nervous at first if he would be able to finish the series justly. However, after reading his blogs (especially the one where he explains why he split the books into three), the response of TGS and then finally meeting him on tour for TGS, I knew the series was in the right hands.

DeathBite

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »

I know a librarian who would disagree with you.  Violently.

That Orangutans are pretty much the same as monkeys? I guess monkey's have tails and orangutans don't, but I'm going to have to disagree to your librarian disagreeing..
My peace is gone,
My heart is heavy,
I will find it never
and never more.     - Goethe

Link von Kelsier Harvey XXIV

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »
Yeah, except that monkeys and apes are totally different.  Gorilla? Ape.  Monkey? Not an ape.
Your signature has got to go!
-Peter Ahlstrom

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2010, 06:37:10 PM »
Yeah, except that monkeys and apes are totally different.  Gorilla? Ape.  Monkey? Not an ape.

I evolved from an ape, not a monkey. There is your difference.  :D

:waits for this convo to explode into thread killing proportions:

Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:38 PM »
Um, keep it on topic: How you found out about Brandon Sanderson.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
My TV evolved enough to tell me i should read more and gave me Final Empire!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz