Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52119 times)

Euphrasie

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »
I also read Orson Scott Card's review of Elantris.  Got it from the library.  Snapped up every books that's come out since.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2009, 06:57:55 AM »
The DragonPage Cover-to-Cover podcast. I heard him interview for Mistborn, loved the premise, checked out the book and got hooked.

Pieces

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2009, 04:30:57 AM »
I was in a Borders in Chicago with a few friends on a class trip. Of course, we were in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, and my friend pointed out Mistborn. I didn't have a book to read at the time, so I bought it on a whim. Well, that turned out to be a bad idea because its cost me ~$50 for the rest of his books  ::). Oh well. Maybe someday I'll try and drop into a release party.
I've never been good at signatures

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2009, 01:07:31 AM »
Brandon Sanderson books considered a waste of money?  GASP!  Those are fighting words, lol.

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2009, 07:41:02 AM »
Well I'm going to be different from all of the Dragonmount peeps and say that I heard about Brandon from Tarvalon.net! ;D

>.>

<.<

Okay so not that different :P I actually didn't decide to read any of his books until some of my friends from tv.net said that Mistborn was really good. I picked it up and have been hooked ever since! My boyfriend loved Mistborn as well and we've decided if we ever have kids we're naming the girl Vin. My real life name came from a fantasy book as well so it continues on a tradition!

I really became a fan though, after starting to continually read his blog and after listening to Writing Excuses. He is definitely one of my favorite writers as well as Patrick Rothfuss (Yes I know he's only published one book but I really loved it and his blog is a must read!).
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »
My dad told me about Brandon. He's a WoT fan. He read the sample chapters of Mistborn on-line and figured I would like it, so he called me to tell me to check it out. Which I did, right after I got off the phone...

If it had been the way I am now, I probably would've went out and bought the book immediately just based on those chapters, because I loved them so much. But alas, I'd just bought 3 books that I really shouldn't have bought since they turned out to be just terribad, and so I wasn't feeling too risky. I checked it out from the library instead...And THEN I bought it. Later. After I'd bought Elantris. Since the school bookstore had Elantris but not Mistborn, which I thought was odd, since it's BYU-I, but whatev.

And now I'm a huge fan. He's my favorite author. I personally think he's a literary genius. At least, literary in the fiction fantasy world...and I would say the whole fiction world in general, but that's just me....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2009, 06:03:37 PM »
I heard he was going to finish the Wheel of Time and decided I needed to know whether he was good enough to pick up after Robert Jordan. I read Elantris and enjoyed it enough to look up the Mistborn Series. <Insert the best praise possible here.>
Best series I have ever read. I loved the political complexities, the story moved quickly, the magic was amazing, etc, etc. And then I came to the end. Perfect. I love an author who is true to the story and will kill off characters when it becomes necessary, even when they have grown attached.

I have introduced as many people as i can lend the books to to him. <--- commence with gramar mocking.

I'm looking forward to everything he will ever put out.
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2009, 07:50:16 PM »
I have introduced as many people as i can lend the books to to him. <--- commence with gramar mocking.

I have introduced him to all the people to which the books can be lent

?

does that work?
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »
I friend of mine from Provo, who is a huge Wheel of Time fan, told me about him so I took the internet to learn more. I found his site (and this one through that) and have been following along on his blog for a few weeks now. I haven't bought any of his books yet since I blew my book budget way before finding him. I'm going to break a few personal finance rules of mine and spring for Warbreaker tomorrow when Brandon comes to Idaho Falls for a book signing.
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2009, 12:41:45 AM »
wotmania.com

but does it matter... we found out we like him and we continue to read him else we wouldn't be using this thread end of discussion
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2009, 02:28:28 AM »
Obviously people are interested with 9 pages of replies :P I read every post before I posted and I quite enjoyed reading it :)
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
My parents bought me Elantris for my birthday i loved it so i tried to find more books by him

Jindael

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »
One day after work, my wife looked up from her computer and told me that "some dude named Brandon Sanderson” was going to finish the Wheel of Time. My response was “Who?”

We bought Mistborn that night. We just had to read and see. We were both immediately impressed, and went out and picked up the second Mistborn book and Elantris a few days later. Despite the fact that our budget really doesn’t allow for hardcovers, we’ve put Sanderson in the very small group of authors whose books we purchase immediately, rather than waiting for paperback. We’re both Librarians, but we still support the authors we enjoy by purchasing their books (and also making them available on the library shelves). Oddly, it’s only through our library vendors that we can find the Alcatraz books. We never see them in our book store.

So I guess we’re part of the WoT influx. I don’t mind because it meant I only had to wait a few months to read the entire Mistborn Trilogy.  :) (I had enough waiting since I was ground floor on Stephen Kings Dark Tower books; I’ve done my time.)

Danimari

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »
Ironically, I heard about him a few years ago before tWoT announcement. I live in eastern Idaho, and frequently go to the library, where one of my friends was working as a page. She suggested this new book called Elantris by a somewhat local guy (seriously, eastern Idaho might as well be an annex of Utah...). I checked it out, but I (still) have a bad habit of checking out more books than I can read before they're due, and other people had holds on Elantris.

Cue several years... a few minor mentions, like another friend's new puppy accidentally teething on someone else's signed copy of Elantris... sad day for any book lover.

Then I pop over to wotmania (NOT dragonmount- hee) and see that Harriet's decided on someone to finish aMoL... and it happens to be Sanderson. I received a copy of Mistborn for my birthday, and well, got hooked. This past year, I got some of my fellow bibliophiles on campus to read Mistborn, feeling vaguely like a missionary... oh well.
Wotmaniac lurker.

revel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »
Just about a year after Elantris was published I was walking through a bookstore saw the book read the dust cover on the shelf and bought the book.  Read it, absolutely was enthralled, and left me just wanting more, and more.  The book left me in what I call reading starvation, where you want more of that story.  So looked up on the internet to see if a sequel was coming out soon (not realizing that it was a stand alone) and found out that Mistborn: the Final Empire was out.  Went that same day bought it and have been eagerly waiting for every new Brandon Sanderson book since.