Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52097 times)

Seradan

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2007, 09:37:52 PM »
This makes me wonder if I'm the only Canadian here. :P

Not the only one! I've actually been trying to get the population of the Wheel of Time based Neverwinter Nights server that I co-created into reading Brandon's work after having read Mistborn.

dtbmnec

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »
This makes me wonder if I'm the only Canadian here. :P

Nah not the only one. :)

Elayne

• Level 1
  • Blue Addict
    • View Profile
    • ~Adventure's Dawn~
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »
I've looked at Brandon's books more times than I can count, but have lately been in more of an 'urban fantasy' (a la Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine, et al), so I hadn't picked them up yet. But with the release of Jim Butcher's lastest cursor novel - Captain's Fury - I've been in the 'mood' to read more high fantasy-type stuff. Luckily, this was at the same time that Harriet announced that he's going to be finishing the WoT books - one of my all-time faves, if you couldn't guess from the name! ;) So I ordered the books, and ended up working Christmas Eve night shift @ work, which was luckily nice and slow, and spent all night reading Warbreaker online! I got up to chapter 30! Whee!! Can't wait to read the rest of 'em!

Asundar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »
First time poster here, although I've been reading fantasy novels consistently for over 18 years.

To Brandon:

I apologize in advance, but to be honest, I never heard about you till I saw the announcement regarding you being selected to complete the final WOT book. I had my reservations about reading your Mistborn series initially, since I didn't want to "spoil" myself to your style before reading the final WOT book once it was completed, and I didn't want to start reading yet another disappointing, ill-conceived fantasy novel (such has been the trend for me the last few years).

I have to say I am very, very glad I decided to buy Mistborn.  Without getting to verbose, the characters captivated me. Well that's probably too simplistic, but that's what draws me into good fantasy. Not elaborate magic systems, or setting, or lengthy, convoluted plots...and especially not preachy, canonical ranting like certain writers out there. I really enjoyed Mistborn because it put the importance of character development and relating the reader to the characters first, and everyone of the other elements was draw from that characterization. The character development felt natural and human.

As soon as I finished Mistborn a couple hours ago, I went out and bought the hardcover of Well of Ascension (I'm a cheapass though, I would have bought the paper back if they had it). I can't wait to start on it once I get off work here. My only future criticism is going to be (like with so many other good fantasy series)...three books is not going to be enough for me!

I hope you continue to write and produce excellent novels. I look forward to Well!

Thank you,
Arvind

CUBAREY

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
I must confess that I first heard abount Mr. Sanderson from a friend who happens to work at a book store a frequent. He told be that Sanderson's books where the kind of fantasy I liked. He commended Mistborn. When I inquired as to what it was about he mentioned that it involved a "crew" of talented criminals fighting a Dark Empire. Frankly, it did not sound all that interesting. A few weeks later I read the announcement concerning Mr. Sanderson being choosen to finish A Memory of Light. I then found this forum and started to peek into the different threads. I then dowloaded Warbreaker and buying The Final Empire and The Well of Ascension from Amazon. I have now finished Warbreaker and The Final Empire and am about half way through The Well of Ascension. I have ordered Elantris through Amazon. I now consider myself a Brandon Sanderson fan. I have one question. I have read that Alcatraz was written as a "Young Adult"  novel, is it worth my time picking it up (I am in my 40's and found the Harry Potter Series, a bit--- basic)?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »
is it worth my time picking it up (I am in my 40's and found the Harry Potter Series, a bit--- basic)?

Well, Alcatraz is a kids book after-all.  So, naturally, it will be more basic than his Mistborn series.  To me (a 27 year-old), Alcatraz was a fun read, and a bit of refreshment between the heavier fantasy books I read (not to mention there are some pokes at HP that I enjoyed immensly).  If you want that, go for it.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2007, 09:44:49 PM »
I have read that Alcatraz was written as a "Young Adult"  novel,

Actually, it's not even for young adults (ages 12-18)--it's written for children roughly ages 8-12. But personally I find the best books to be in both of those ranges.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2007, 01:55:03 AM »
Alcatraz is very humorous, with a creative magic system as you might expect from Brandon. Its plot is simpler, but it's not completely predictable like you might expect many kids' books to be. It also contains entertaining allusions and satire elements.

If you're unsure, you might check it out from a library (if the Librarians let you, that is).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

medikman

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2007, 07:28:37 AM »
I was looking for the Alcatraz book today at Barnes and Noble at the Gateway in Salt Lake and couldn't find any. We were getting a book for one of the kids in my wife's primary class and he loves the Harry Potter series so I thought I would get this, but alas I had to settle for something else.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2007, 08:22:35 AM »
Alcatraz is very humorous, with a creative magic system as you might expect from Brandon. Its plot is simpler, but it's not completely predictable like you might expect many kids' books to be. It also contains entertaining allusions and satire elements.

Et tu, Brutus? ;) I know you're just speaking to others' expectations, but it really bugs me that so many people still think so lowly of children's literature that they expect it to be bad. Sure, there's some real duds out there. But there are also plenty of really great kids' books that aren't what you expect kids' books to be because few people really know what's out there in kids' books.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 08:28:05 AM by stacer »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2007, 08:26:34 AM »
Oh, speaking of Alcatraz, Brandon, a sighting at my local library: I was asking the reference librarian a question. He wasn't the regular children's and YA librarian, and I think the desk he was sitting at is hers. A photocopy of Alcatraz sat in a frame on the desk. I asked him about it but he thought it was silly--so I'm sure it was the other librarians', because she seems much cooler and would appreciate the joke more. When I tried to tell him it a satire of librarians controlling the information in the world, he took it way too seriously and blustered, "Well, that just can't be right, because librarians are the ones who are trying to make information available to all!" as if the book were trying to put out misinformation about librarians. He wouldn't listen to me no matter how much I tried to tell him that no, really, it was a very funny book.  ::)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »
That guy must actually be part of the Librarian Conspiracy.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dtbmnec

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2007, 11:38:28 PM »
Our library has three different versions of Alcatraz: two separate sound recordings and the book itself. Not many copies of it though.

Actually I do remember coming across Mistborn though...when I'd picked it up from Chapters I thought the cover looked familiar...mom, who works at the library, was actually cataloging it to put it into circulation...I had other things on my plate then but did tell myself I would pick it up at some point...I'd forgotten about that (oops!)

As to whether she's part of this conspiracy...I'll have to ask  :P

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2007, 12:46:21 AM »
Two separate sound recordings? Amazon only lists one, the Scholastic unabridged version. That's all I can find on Scholastic's website as well. Is it with a different publisher/reader?

We've just reserved the unabridged audiobook at the county library, but the library system hasn't received their copies yet. Oddly, they have not ordered in any of the actual books, but 6 or so copies of the audiobook (among several branch locations).

Audio books are dang expensive. (Plus I've broken two tape players in my car listening to just TWO books on tape...argh.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:55:56 AM by Mokfather »

dtbmnec

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »
Yes, though I should have said its two different types of recordings.

One's on CD and the other on Tape. :)

My bad!