Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52096 times)

ImMe

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 11:17:52 PM »
One fateful night I realized that I had never been to a Harry Potter midnight release party and decided that it was something I should probably check out. A half hour into standing in line, I reached over and picked Elantris off of the new local author display where it was sitting, and began to read. I was halfway through the book before It was my turn (loser in middle school=ability to read really, really fast) and put Elantris back. I just had go buy Elantris after a couple of days. I've been able to obtain signed copies of the first two Mistborn books since then, so I have actually met EUOL a few times. Nice guy. I'm super excited to be able to follow what is going to be a fun ride!

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »
My sister worked with him at BYU -- maybe on the Leading Edge?  I don't know.  Then she brought home this manuscript of a book called Dragonsteel one day and told me to read it and make any comments on it.  I read it in like a day (and it was really really long--and I'm a slow reader).  It was my favorite book ever!  (Which is why I'm so persistant about wanting that series published--but it's ok if it isn't...)

Then my other sister read it (who basically never reads--espeically not nerdy fantasy stuff like me...) and she loved it too.

So I just kept my eyes open for his name at bookstores for the next like 5 years *haha*...and he eventually got published!  It was very cool.  I saw him at the Harry Potter signing, but haven't really met him.  (In my opinion, Brandon's books are way better than Harry Potter--unfortunately his books aren't as popular yet. :) )

I'm also an obsessive WoT fan--so it was the best news ever that he's writing AMoL. 

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 02:13:13 AM »
A guy at work said he had a roommate who was a fantasy writer.  I didn't think much about it because there are lots of people who write fantasy.  A few months later, he said his roommate had just sold a novel to Tor.  That got my attention.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 02:30:44 AM »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

JymWhythawhy

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2007, 05:23:50 AM »
Well, I actually go to the school Brandon is affiliated with (wonderful BYU!) but I actually was across the country in Wisconsin, in a library,  a year and a half ago, when I discovered Elantris. I read it quickly and loved it. I turned to the back page to find out who this amazing author was, only to discover that he lived in Provo, Utah, which was just cool. I had signed copies of Elantris and Mistborn, but Mistborn II was stolen, so I am going to go buy another copy. When I get payed. Ah well, maybe the thief will be swayed by the beautiful writing and will become a fan as well. Although, if you took the book, I wouldn't mind having it back.  :P

And congrats Brandon! This news made me exceedingly happy!
Women don't want to hear what you think. Women want to hear what they think, but in a deeper voice.

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2007, 05:54:40 AM »
Yes, it was Earl.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »
Brandon hunted me down and forced me to join his writing group.

Well, I met him in the MA program at BYU, and he heard I wrote fantasy, and he was working on getting a second writer's group going, and he kindly asked me to participate.

Though I guess I first met him in Dave Wolverton's fantasy class at BYU, though I just knew him as "one of those strange guys that sit over by the wall and wear trenchcoats and fedoras." I believe Fell falls into this category as well. And Alan--whatever his name on the boards is. Anyone else in that class? I sat in the middle of the room.

Away from the fedoras.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 06:11:13 PM »
Ookla and I were also in that class.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »
Ooh, I was in that class.  I sat against the opposite walls.  And I definitely remember the fedoras.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 09:05:52 PM »
I don't remember them at all, but I never pay attention to what people wear. Sigh.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
I was in that class, too. :)

dtbmnec

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2007, 03:18:16 AM »
I went to one of my favorite World of Warcraft comic sites to find a post saying something about the WOT series final book being written by someone I'd never heard of. :) At which point I went immediately to the Dragonmount website (well as fast as my sad internet connection would let me) and read the whole story.

So I went out to my local bookstore (had to walk in ten feet of snow uphill both ways ya know ;)) and bought the first Mistborn novel (still on Chapter 1 but hoping to read it after I pry myself away from the boards tonight).

The rest, as they say, is history. :)

Seradan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2007, 03:43:42 AM »
I found out through the Tor Announcement about him writing Wheel of Time 12. As a writer and a content developer for a Wheel of Time based server, I wanted to know what the guy who was going to be taking on a monumental task wrote like, and things of that nature. Needless to say, I've purchased both Mistborn and Elantris after reading the first three chapters of each story. I have to say, it is a great idea to provide such options to potential readers.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2007, 09:29:43 AM »
I was browsing in B. Dalton and saw Elantris stting on the new release shelf. Read the inside flap, thought it sounded interesting, but didn't have the cash to buy an adult hardback. Or any hardback, for that matter.

A couple months later I was at the library and miraculously remebered the name of the book. Yup, miraculous, because this is the girl that has to run up from the basement three times to ask 'Mom, what did you need from food storage again?" And that's that. Brandon became my favorite author.