Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 52113 times)

me2wired

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #225 on: December 28, 2010, 10:58:11 PM »
My brother-in-law gave me the Mistborn series. I was hooked. I literally recommend and force it on everyone I meet now. I'm an avid reader and I've never been so enthralled with an author's work.

michaelramm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
I was looking through a GoodReads group discussion that was reading Mistborn: The Final Empire. I was reading how innovative the magic system was, so I decided to grab it and read it.

I absolutely LOVED it. I have yet to read the other two (or any other Sanderson) for trying to weed down my TBR pile. But in 2011, I will re-read Mistborn as well as Well and Hero and Way of the Kings. So I am super psyched to start this project. I think that I will treat Mistborn Trilogy as I do Lord of the Rings and re-read it every year.

Dragon Shard

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 07, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
Pretty much came across his wiki page while reading about WOT. Bought The Final Empire from my local bookstore and I've been hooked ever since. :)

Duke

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »
This is easy.

He was announced as the RJ replacement for WoT.  Then I e-mailed him, and he actually replied. I started listening to his podcast. He seemed like a bright guy who was friendly, so I bought all of his books. I went to my first book signing ever when he was in Vegas a couple years ago for TGS and he signed a couple. I went completely against his online request to have in mind what I wanted him to write, since I would rather have him come up with crappy lines than just regurgitate whatever it was that I thought was clever.

I like how he tells stories. If I were to hire someone to sit around and tell stories, It'd be Brandon. That is, of course, if I couldn't get all 3 from their podcast in one place at the same time.

sandersonfan987

« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
My cousins recommended this book for my family and bought us a copy. I didn't think much of it, and quickly forgot about it. My mom asked me and my brother if we needed something to read. My brother said something along the lines of "I'm almost done with my book, so I'll take it." I didn't have anything at the time so I told my mom that I would take it with a displeasing look from my brother. I soon started it and could not put it down. I'm still reading Sanderson books and am dying of anticipation waiting for his new books.

the Monik Ieron

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2011, 11:59:16 PM »
well, me and my dad found Elantris in the library, i read it, and the rest is history

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2011, 12:03:47 PM »
My local Waldenbooks guy recommended Elantris to me just shortly after it came out. I read it, loved it, and just a couple of weeks later Brandon did a signing at that same Waldenbooks. Sadly, I lent my hardback first edition Elantris, signed, to a friend of mine and it never returned. :(
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

ork

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 22, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
while searching about R.J i found out brandon was finishing WOT, that made me want to find out more about him. thats when i stumbled upon mistborn. but i couldn't get my any copies on it. so i had to download any available book that when i got a taste of his writing with WARBREAKER. i looked for his books in bookshops all in vain. i mean the capital city of my country still couldn't find. but eventually i got it online.
since then i have been hooked, recommended it to  some of my workmates they too loved it. that was just last year. 

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
I was talking to a friend of mine about fantasy books.  I said that I hadn't really branched out and tried a new author in a while, and asked if he had any good recommendations.  He said that there was this guy named Brandon Sanderson who had written two really good books, called Mistborn and Elantris.  So I bought a copy of each, although I ended up giving them to my brothers for Christmas before I had a chance to read either one. 

That December it was announced that he would finish the Wheel of Time.  And I thought, gee, maybe I should have actually read those books.  But I decided instead to just borrow them from my brothers when they were finished.

And then in the first week of January another friend told me that Brandon Sanderson was teaching a class on writing at the university  where I was working (BYU) .  So I went to see if I could audit the class, and even though there were 40 people there for a class that was capped at 10, he added us all.  What a guy!  After a couple of weeks in the class, I decided I couldn't wait for my brothers, so I bought my own copies and was instantly hooked. 

Now I consider myself a Brandon Sanderson evangelist. 

Areus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 23, 2011, 07:25:39 AM »
In 2008 I was waiting for a bus on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It was raining and generally miserable so I decided to wander across the street to a Borders just to look around. I saw The Hero of Ages positioned prominently atop their "New Fiction" table and took a look. I have to admit I was drawn by the cover art mostly, and so noticed the quote from Orson Scott Card about Brandon being very wise, and that made my decision very easy. Never one to read a series out of order I put HoA back on the table and went searching for Mistborn 1. They had one copy of the paperback version (The one I'm sorry to say looks like a trashy-romance novel), purple and girlie as it was. With chagrin I paid for it and threw it in my bag for when I could get settled on the bus.

As the journey proceeded the bus began to have engine trouble, losing all power and coasting along the road intermittently which, when combined with heavy Thanksgiving traffic, turned a 3 hour ride into a 10 hour ordeal. My fellow passengers were outraged, but I was completely oblivious to our communal suffering. Kelsier and Vin had me enthralled. That horrible bus ride was perhaps the best thing to happen to me that year; it introduced me to Brandon Sanderson. I've since read all his works more than once. I even bought the entire Wheel of Time series so that I could read TGS and TOM and I eagerly anticipate the next Stormlight archive installment (The Way of Kings was the best book I've read in this decade).

Keep them coming Mr. Sanderson, and take care of yourself. I want to be looking forward to your next book for years and years to come.

chandran

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2011, 05:09:05 PM »
I found out he was finishing WoT... Then went to his site, saw he had a book up to read for free (Warbreaker), read it, then bought/read everything else he's published. Except Alcatraz. Going to get around to those at some point.
Oh, and Areus... I agree, The Way of Kings was an amazing read.

tilionvevfet

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »
I was browsing the local library and saw Mistborn and Elantris, liked how they looked and thought they sounded interesting. Been a fan ever since.  :D

Peppermint

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2011, 07:18:36 AM »
I first heard of Brandon Sanderson through "Beyond Reality", a reading circle on goodreads.com. Someone posted there was a free book available on his website there and I checked it out ... and now I read most of the titles I could get my hands on. :) Dunno, there may be people saying "you put up a book online for free noone will buy it", but in my case it worked, anyway. Right now I'm listening to Way of Kings, and it brightens up my day.

brendon2424

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2011, 05:18:16 AM »
My sister had recommended the Mistborn trilogy ,which I don't believe were finished at that time, but I was in the middle of too many books at that time. Then, I found out he was going to finish the WoT series, my favorite series of all time, and I went and read every book Brandon had ever written, and I've kept up with him ever since. I even love his podcast which honestly surprised me, but its interesting seeing things from a writers perspective.

Braden Michaels

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 11, 2011, 02:26:54 AM »
My story is a few years behind the times I've discovered.

I'm a casual reader who read through the WOT series as I attended college, full time work on top of internships and all while taking care of my new family.  It was a very busy time in my life but I became a fan of Robert Jordan from the start. His ability to paint his world in such detail allowed me to leave the stress behind and escape to another world where it seemed so much was possible.  Mr. Jordan's ability to transition between characters and portray them all so differently was incredible and I enjoyed his work.

When I first learned  Mr. Jordan had passed away I was deeply saddened. I was also worried that his epic series would never have the ending it truly deserved. After all, who could match such an impressive and detailed writer? Amusingly, at the time my brother-in-law (Who happens to attend BYU) told me that Robert Jordan's son had taken up the series and would be finishing it.  ;D At the time, I knew no different and did not bother to do the research myself. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson: Don't trust a brother-in-law.  ;)

However,  the (false) news gave me enough hope that once I finished college and had some time to read again, I turned back to the WOT series and read it again, beginning with the 'Eye of the World' this last summer. Once again I enjoyed the richness of the Wheel of Time and the ability of Mr. Jordan to paint his story on a grand scale. I was again amazed by his ability to portray his characters so differently. As I read I could imagine the same chapter being re-written from another character's perspective and knew it would be just as riveting. Even characters who only had their perspective shown once had distinctive personalities that left an impression.(Semiherge anyone?)

As I finished the last pages of "The Knife of Dreams" I set the book down with a heavy heart knowing that from here on it just might not be the same.

I was right, it certainly was not the same.  It was better.

I picked up "The Gathering Storm" and read the opening letter from Brandon Sanderson explaining  how he had been offered the opportunity to finish the series at the request of Mr. Jordan's wife. This wasn't a family member, or even a close friend, but a dedicated author and a fellow fan. I then proceeded to devour the entire novel in less than a week.

All that Mr. Jordan captured with this series, Mr. Sanderson kept alive.  I was amazed to find each character I had grown to love over the years carefully preserved, each maintaining their unique personalities and attributes. The world Mr. Jordan had allowed us to visit had continued to thrive, thanks to a brilliantly talented author.

To Brandon Sanderson, I say thank you.

Thank you, from your new fan,  for preserving and saving such a work from a potentially disappointing end. Such a work deserves an author as talented as you to continue it and see it completed at it was meant to be. Also, it seems from reading reviews about your other books here that I need to head to the bookstore soon.

I'll be reading "The Towers of Midnight" soon and have no doubt that I will hardly be able to put it down.