Author Topic: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?  (Read 59192 times)

JLVin

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find out about Brandon Sanderson?
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2009, 10:58:56 PM »
My theatre professor and I were on Facebook one night and he was like, "I have a reading suggestion for you," so of course I asked what that was, and he said the Mistborn trilogy. I had never heard of Brandon Sanderson previously, and honestly fantasy wasn't a genre that really interested me before. I figured that my professor must know what he's talking about if he recommended them to me. I did a background check on B&N as I am prone to do and Mistborn sounded exciting and well worth investigating. After controlling my rabid excitement about having someone I so respect give me a reading suggestion, I asked him if he'd actually ever read them, to which he said yes, he had read up to the second book and said that HoA was coming out soon (this was somewhere around the end of March.) And advised me to buy the paperback rather than the hardcover because it would be cheaper.

KChan

• Level 2
  • Eep.
    • View Profile
    • K-chan's DA
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2009, 02:42:21 AM »
I found out that he was going to be finishing Wheel of Time, and started following his blog posts. Eventually I found my way to his sample chapters and ended up buying paperback copies of Elantris and Mistborn: The Final Empire. I've been hooked ever since.  ;D

Mistborn: The Inquisition RPG

Graphic used with permission.

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2009, 05:50:26 AM »
I was working in a library when Elantris first came out, and got bored behind the desk, so I took a copy out of the returns dump and started reading.

I checked it out for myself at the end of the day, and bought a copy for myself the next weekend.

I still have that copy, and it's so smudged and battered, I want to get myself another copy that looks nice for the bookshelf.

as soon as i get a bookshelf to put it on...  ;D

I've also been a WOT fan since around winter's heart released

you can imagine my joy when I found out my second favorite author would be stepping in to fill the shoes of my favorite author  ;D
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2009, 09:19:12 AM »
A post by Rigney's brother on Rigney's blog.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2009, 11:02:40 AM »
My friends family and I where driving somewhere and I don't remember where but their dad popped the Alcatraz Audio in and we listened to it and I thought it was hilarious. Of cource we listened to this in like December and i didn't get my hands on the audio again until May then shortly after that the second book came out. After reading that I thought he's pretty good author and I have read all of his books (except for Warbreaker) and he is now one of my favorite authors.
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »
Every few months I was checking when the next Wheel of Time book came out.  Then I was checking on status every day after RJ got ill to see how he was doing.  After he passed and it was announced that BS was going to be finishing the series I looked into what he had published.  The only problem was everytime I ended up in a bookstore I forgot his name so it took me a couple months to get Elantris.  After Elantris I was hook on BS.  I never forgot his name again either ;).

torwolf

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »
I was looking through wikipedia's list of fantasy novels and came across WOT. While searching for more information about WOT I landed up on Brandon's site.

His novels looked interesting so decided to order Elantris from Amazon but the shipping fees to India for a single book were too expensive for me.  I took a gamble and ordered Elantris, Mistborn 1 and 2 all at the same time as the shipping fees are combined and less per book. Started reading Mistborn the day it arrived and was hooked. I ordered HOA on Amazon the day it came out and have already ordered Warbreaker, this time through Flipkart.

So rest assured, you have at least one fan in India Brandon.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »
Brandon made a comment on his site today about a book store in India that just imported his books.  There is a link to it as well.  That might be cheaper for you now.  http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/795/Various-Warbreaker-Notes

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2009, 09:58:23 PM »
Considering he mentioned ordering Warbreaker through that specific store, I think he already knows.

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »
Count me among those who discovered Brandon's books after he was chosen to complete the Wheel of Time.  I started listening to Writing Excuses, and then I read Elantris.  I was hooked.

masterofnone

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
First off, hi!  Brand new to the forums here.  Haven't done author forums since way back in early WoT.  Anyway, I found out about Brandon's stuff a few months ago.  Happened to be looking for a new author as well as curious about the latest WoT book.  I went to B&N and wrote down a few names from books that looked interesting.  Got home and decided to find out what was going on with Jordan's series, saw Brandon Sanderson was attached to it.  Looked at my list from my B&N and there his name was.

Picked up Elantris and Mistborn #1 the next day.  Ended up going through them as well as Mistborn 2 and 3 in the span of a couple of weeks.  With an 18 month old around the house that is an accomplishment now days for me.  Obviously I have become pretty hooked and have had his website bookmarked for quite a while and check it daily for information.  I must say that I am extremely impressed with how hands-on/involved he is with his readers.  Waiting for my signed copy of Warbreaker to get here from Sam Weller's and trying not to read spoilers for now.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2009, 04:03:36 AM »
A couple of friends actually recommended it to me, back when he only had Elantris out. One of his books (I can't remember which one) was in the top ten books at my sister's junior high.

It's amazing that the librarians allowed poll counts for him though. He is after all publishing a Smedry's work  ;)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

chaosmodifier

• Level 1
  • Building an Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2009, 02:16:01 PM »
The first time I saw anything about Brandon was when I was walking through a Barnes & Noble that he was going to be doing a signing at, for the release of Mistborn. I looked over the book, thought it looked interesting, couldn't afford the hardback and put it back down and walked away without a second glance.

The next year at Christmas I was looking for books for several people on my list at the same B & N and they had a table displaying signed paperbacks of both Mistborn and Elantris. I read the back of Elantris and decided to grab them both for people on my list. The day after Christmas I ended up getting phone calls from both of the people I had given the books to, wanting to discuss them. They both yelled at me for never reading the books I gave them and demanded that I do so. I was loaned Elantris but had to go get my own copy of Mistborn, and was appalled that there wasn't any more of the signed copies.

I now own everything but book one of the Alcatraz books in hardback, but will hopefully be fixing that soon!
When life gives you lemons, make chiffon!
My word is only as good as my Bond, James Bond.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2009, 04:53:10 PM »
I heard about Brandon Sanderson from:

(1) Orson Scott Card's review of Elantris
(2) A friend who was reading Elantris said she liked it
(3) I followed the link to writing excuses from Schlock Mercenary

With all of these, I finally broke down and bought it Elantris and Mistborn I and II.  I've been following him ever since.
Nature hates being reified.

jahmes

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »
i envy all of you... sigh... in a backward place such as me... it's be a couple of years till a sanderson will reach the shelves of our local bookstore *sniffs* heard about him coz he's supposed to finish WoT,  but I hope I can read more of his works... sigh... my favorite is L.E. Modesitt and never has his books graced the shelves of our top bookstore in the country... only in second hand bookstores could I get a copy of books... sigh... this is all so frustrating...