Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111429 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2008, 05:19:56 AM »
with a flash and dash of Piers Anthony and Robert Asprin thrown in for good measure.
Ouch! Hope Brandon doesn't read this thread. :)

(He might one day aspire have his flashes and dashes compared to Terry Pratchett, but not those two...)

I like Robert Asprin's books myself, and liked a lot of Piers Anthony...in junior high...but not at all for the same reason I like Brandon's books.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »
with a flash and dash of Piers Anthony and Robert Asprin thrown in for good measure.
Ouch! Hope Brandon doesn't read this thread. :)

(He might one day aspire have his flashes and dashes compared to Terry Pratchett, but not those two...)

I like Robert Asprin's books myself, and liked a lot of Piers Anthony...in junior high...but not at all for the same reason I like Brandon's books.

You must have only read a sampling of either of their works. Both can write high-brow and junior high material. For a good read from Anthony, read his first book: "But What Of Earth?" And for Asprin, check out his full catalogue.

I mention both of them because I see a little bit of their styles in his writing, including some dry sardonic humor. As for Prachett? Well, I never found him appealing, and I tried, I really did. Bored me to tears.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
For Pratchett, check out his full catalogue. :) (The first two Discworld books were quite boring; I found later ones fantastic though.)

I read the pre-hiatus Myth books, pre-hiatus Phule books, and the Cold Cash War. I know Asprin has a lot of other material.

Of Anthony, I read a ton of Xanth books, the Apprentice Adept books, the first two Mode books, all the Bio of a Space Tyrant books, and Mercycle. I've had no desire to read an Anthony book for the last dozen years or more.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:17:38 PM by Boooookla »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2008, 09:51:48 PM »
I never read the Discworld books..  I dont remember what I read really, but he didn't land on my "authors to read" list at all from what I have read.

I read many of the Myth books as well, quite juvenile, but fun. As for the Phule's War set, I found them to be highly intelligent reads, if you paid attention.

Piers Anthony's high-brow stuff can be quite compelling, and like Brandon's books, can start off slow and one must have patience to get through the first few chapters. I felt that "But What of Earth?" his first book, reads alot like Elantris in style and pacing.

However, upon reflection, i think the Mistborn series can be compared to Fiest's Magician series in term of writing style pacing and payoff. (Granted, I have not yet read Hero of Ages). I would even go as far to say that "A Darkness at Sethanon" left me with the same feelings as "Well of Ascension" while I was reading and when I finished. Both left me agape in some areas and both had me afraid for the charachters and sympathetic of the villians (and pawns of villians).

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »
I read an early non-Discworld Pratchett book, but honestly, Discworld is what any Pratchett fan I've heard of is thinking of when they talk about Pratchett books. So if you've not read any of them, you haven't really tried.

Brandon recommends The Truth as a good introductory book to Discworld. It's basically a standalone, as many Discworld books are. (Pratchett just came out with his first non-Discoworld book in a while, Nation, but I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet.)

Beyond But What of Earth?, what highbrow Anthony books do you recommend?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:42:36 PM by Boooookla »

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
Brandon recommends The Truth as a good introductory book to Discworld.

We like Small Gods (or Guards! Guards!, if only just for the door scene).
~금강산도 식후경~

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
Beyond But What of Earth?, what highbrow Anthony books do you recommend?

Aprentice Adept was a good series, but you have already read that one, beyond that, I honestly have not read one of his novels in about 10-12 years or so. Of Man and Manta may be another you may want to check out.

For Discworld, well, I guess I will pick one up and give it a shot. The library is less than 1000 feet from my house, so it shouldn't be too difficult. :)

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2008, 03:26:06 PM »
You can't CHOOSE which discworld books to read. You'd miss out on so much! I've read them all (except the most recent) and loved each one. It took 2 libraries and buying 3 or 4 books for me to be able to finish them all though. :D
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »
Aprentice Adept was a good series, but you have already read that one, beyond that, I honestly have not read one of his novels in about 10-12 years or so. Of Man and Manta may be another you may want to check out.

The Incarnations of Immortality series is better than the Apprentice Adept, in my opinion. I've re-read some of them more recently and I've come to realize how spare Anthony's writing is, and rather heavy-handed. But some of his ideas and themes are interesting enough.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 03:51:56 PM by WickedNess »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
I do not believe I ever read the Immortality series. He has so many books, I would have to be very dedicated to read them all....

Anyway, I was pondering the WoT series in relation to Mistborn and Elantris and came to a revelation....

Most hero-fantasy novels, or even just hero-fiction novel in general follow a formulaic bent. For example, in many books and movies, there is the simple farm boy, or McDonald's worker or whatever who gets swept up and saves the day/becomes king etc. There are variations to this but pretty much this is how it goes.

The Wheel of Time follows that formula, initially. and branches out with similar things happening to princesses, etc.

Brandon twists that formula a little bit in Elantris and Mistborn. In Elantris, the heroes are the princess pawn and the heir to the throne who is reviled by his father. Mistborn has a similar theme, with one of the main heroes being the heir to the most powerful nobel being reviled by his father.

But there are striking similarities between WoT and Mistborn in terms of progression. In both series, the beginning hero/heroine starts out with a small group, and the cast of charachters gradually expands. But what is rather unique is that both series do not just expand the cast, they make all of the main and sub-main charachters dynamic. There is little of a charachter doing something out of characnter to progress a plot point (as has been the case on the TV series "Heroes" this season). Many books and authors introduce a great many charachters, but rarely do they make them dynamic, and rarely are we treated to an in depth look at them.

And I believe, ultimately, that is one of the reasons Brandon was annointed to finalize this series. His writing is obviously heavily influenced by the works of Robert Jordan, add to that his obviously great imagination (seriously, who ever would have thought about swallowing shaved metal as a magic system?) and his tenacious attention to detail. And Brandon could very well be "the next Robert Jordan".

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
I dont mean to be a buzz kill but wouldnt this fit better in the "What are you reading" thread?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »
I dont mean to be a buzz kill but wouldnt this fit better in the "What are you reading" thread?

No, as were discussing, originally, Brandon's possible styles and influences.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2008, 02:18:30 AM »

Well, ya. But even though thread hyjacking is frowned upon it isn't illegal :D
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2008, 02:24:02 AM »
I know it isn't I am often the culprit of said hijacking. I didnt mean to sound like a jerk either I just figure if someone clicked on this thread and saw the conversation that was being held they might get confused. I honestly dont care, enjoy your jacking because I will still read it.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2008, 04:38:44 AM »
I was teasin' ;) As an admin I should know better than to contribute to said hyjacking. And I did, I admit it.

Your reminder was timely.