Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111460 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
the newer one did an awful job placing short swords into aiel hands
The mind boggles. This is when authors start throwing fits (if they ever find out what happened, that is).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Vintage

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2008, 10:37:19 PM »
We did for him ! We put up a petition online with a listing of the translation mistakes and others, very impressive, requesting a new translation or at least a very serious revision. Moreover, fans were so outraged that the editor was forced to offer a free book for every other that was purchased or he would have been left with his stock on hand. The books just did not sale well. Not due to Mr Jordan, though, and we made sure the french editor would understand quite clearly our message.

If Brandon can have a word on this, he should ask for a revision of that contract. Or at least, Harriet should be able to jump on their back as well. I promoted the reading in the original language, offering my help, but it is hard for a lot of them. If any of them ( Brandon, Harriet or whoever on this side) are interested, I am willing to offer all the help I can and promise that the forum will also.

SleChY

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
Well... Just to point out that Brandon has been translated; the only version of Elantris I found in one of the bookshops over here was Elantris in Dutch(Netherlands/Belgium not German). I normally allways read the English versions but since I found out he was finishing WoT I wanted to start reading it.

It was a nice read and I now just finished reading Mistborn: The final empire and am looking to get my hands on the The Well of Ascension asap :P.

Greets, Belgian fan :P; when will you do a roadtrip over here?

Jabberman

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »
hey guys new here :) Just sayin hi! BIG FAN!

Obi

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »
I didn't know what to think when I found out some random guy I'd never heard  of was writing AMoL, so I forgot about it.  Yes, I forgot who was doing it and never bothered to find out again.  Months later, I found Brandon Sanderson's website by accident, searching for some random bit of WoT info.  Then I finally decided I should check this guy out, see if there is hope for Wot yet.

I read his responses to each book from his WoT read through, continued on to his other blog posts, and somehow became a fan.  I downloaded Warbreaker.   I also made three separate trips to Hastings to buy Elantris, and both books of Mistborn (they were hard to find!).  I've even listened to all of the Writing Excuses podcasts.  I guess this means I'm sold. ;D 

The only problem here is that I've been getting to sleep later and later because I just can't stop reading, and now I've run out of Mistborn.  Oh well, at least Elend didn't die.  :)

Anyway, I'm excited Brandon (can I call him by his first name? o.O; ) is finishing Wot.  I know we'd all rather RJ was still around to do it himself, but I think we have a pretty good second.

Lazarus404

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »
I think Mr Jordan was running out of steam. He was ill, after all. I think the series was a pressure to him. Sure, if he was well, and alive of course, then no one could do better, but even if Mr Jordan was alive, now, it wouldn't be fair to have that sort of pressure placed upon him. Personally, I think Brandon will do a fantastic job!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2008, 10:27:16 PM »
I was never a fan of the series,
but I know a good portion of people are.

SO,
I think this will be an amazing break for Brandon,
and bring him a lot of new readers.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 06, 2008, 02:49:52 AM »
lol oh yes his reader list will explode. Even die-hard Wheel fans will become Sanderson fans  ;D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

TheRedSon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 06, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
lol oh yes his reader list will explode. Even die-hard Wheel fans will become Sanderson fans ;D

Prophetic words...

I've been ignoring tWoT since I heard about RJ's passing.  I finally let myself go back to Dragonmount last week and since then I have purchased Elantris and both Mistborn novels.  Finished them all in less than a week, which is pretty darn fast for me (it helps that my wife has been out of town the whole time).  I have to say I am impressed.  I liked all three books.  The Final Empire was truely outstanding.

I can't imagine Harriet finding anyone better to finish this series.  Maybe George R.R. Martin would be as good, but I doubt it, and he'd just kill off half the cast out of habit anyway  ;D.

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2008, 01:02:59 AM »
I am and always will be a diehard WoT fan. When RJ died I was extremely sad at the passing of a great man  :'(. I stayed away from all the fansites for as long as I could, when I went back I found out about Brandon finishing them. I was skeptic at first, but then I stole my friends copy of Mistborn and read it 3 times in one week. Of all the authors I've read I can think of no one who can do a better job than Brandon. I am so very happy that he is the one finishing them, Only RJ himself could do better.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2008, 06:00:54 PM »
lol oh yes his reader list will explode. Even die-hard Wheel fans will become Sanderson fans  ;D

This is very true. i personaly dont consider myself a die hard WOT fan. ive read the books once and dont get me wrong i loved every one, but only reading them once i often have a hard time remembering facts. the thing is the only reason i am a member of this forum is because of Brandon Sandersons announcment of being the writer of AMoL. i read MB1 and MB2 shortly after and now im reading Elantris. I have to say i love his stuff and even though initially i was (and dont get me wrong still am) very upset about RJ's passing, at least now i feel confident in the ability of the new author in carrying the torch for such a great man.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Serenla

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 24, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »
Brandon's attendance at Dragon*con this year and his introduction to WoT fans there is going to explode his readership.  If I understand correctly, he also attended one or two other *cons this year and talked about WoT as well as his own writings.

Those of us at Dragon*con were completely bowled over by him.  He was approachable, willing to talk about anything, and seems to be almost as big a WoT geek as some of us are!!  He actually came down and played Are You a Darkfriend in the programming track room too!  (My friends, "Team Awesome" had great fun killing him off!)  He's truly a first class act.  ;D

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
Brandon's attendance at Dragon*con this year and his introduction to WoT fans there is going to explode his readership.  If I understand correctly, he also attended one or two other *cons this year and talked about WoT as well as his own writings.

Those of us at Dragon*con were completely bowled over by him.  He was approachable, willing to talk about anything, and seems to be almost as big a WoT geek as some of us are!!  He actually came down and played Are You a Darkfriend in the programming track room too!  (My friends, "Team Awesome" had great fun killing him off!)  He's truly a first class act.  ;D

I would have loved to be there haha.  I myself started reading Mistborn due to the fact that he was chosen to write AMoL (as were many of you, it seems).  It took me a while, mostly because I started to read WoT again after I heard the news of RJ, but, I am now fully confident that Brandon will do a remarkable job with AMoL.  After I finish the Mistborn series, I am going to start reading WoT once again in preparation for the end of the saga!

One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »
This may be my first post on the TWG, but I've been following the WoT news fairly closely and have found myself listening to some of the early Writing Excuses podcasts (I feel behind over the summer, and when/if life calms down for me, I will jump back onboard, haha).  Even though I have yet to read any of Mr. Sanderson's published works, I've found that through his solid advice in the podcasts and his sound reasoning in his articles that I believe he can finish AMoL in a very respectful and well-written way.

And no matter what I think of it, I promise I will pick up his other works after reading AMoL.  I'm just bogged down in some other readings at the moment, and NaNoWriMo is on the way (gasp, time flies!).

-Joshua
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2008, 04:41:18 AM »
to those of you WoT fans who have not yet picked up any of Brandon's books...   I became interested in his writing solely because of his finishing off the Wheel of Time. So, one day in Borders bookstore, I saw Mistborn on sale for only $5 - so I picked it up...   I am totally hooked. It was a compelling read, and then I picked up teh 2nd book immediately afterwards, and am anxiously awaiting my copy of Mistborn 3... in the mean time, I read Elantris. It did start of slow, but finished beautifully. Got my wife and kids interested in Alcatraz too. Amazing. I would have completely passed him by if not for WoT but I would say, this guy could be the next Raymond Fiest (possibly even the next Robert Jordan). at the very least, his writing are on par with Donaldson with a flash and dash of Piers Anthony and Robert Asprin thrown in for good measure.

botton line, if you loved Wheel of time, pick up Mistborn. you wont be disappointed.