Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111437 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »
That's awesome, Brandon.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2007, 07:20:35 PM »
Probably won't get to take it off this year....  (Sniff.  No Halo 3 for me.)  Maybe I'll find time to work in a little rest, but I don't think I'll be able to be as lazy as I was last year.
Yeah, especially with Limebaby on the schedule now. ;)

I have a question: How did you get submitted for consideration? I mean, did your agent approach the WoT people because you were really interested in this. I know you're a fan yourself. Or did you get nominated somehow?

Edit: OK, never mind. I read the Dragonmount interview, which was excellent. Very exciting stuff.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:30:50 PM by All of the other shraindeer »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

MPlease

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2007, 07:26:13 PM »
Congrats on the deal, Brandon. Several people I know were more than overjoyed at the news. (I quote: "Squuueeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!") This will probably inspire me to actually read through the books leading up to it too, rather than just reading the "book in a minute" summaries  as I have for the last few books ;)
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2007, 07:34:54 PM »
Okay, let's see if this phone will let me post here. I'm in the airport having just spent two days at Harriet's house. She, and mr. Jordan's staff, are awesome. It was wonderful. I will yet to do a longer description on my blog.

Two questions to answer. First, will I do more WoT books?  I don't know, honestly. On one hand, I would hate to see writings of me Jordan go unfinished, and I now know what the prequels and outriggers would have contained.

On the other hand, I don't think any of us want to simply exploit the master's legacy.  We don't need dozens of books being released in Mr. Jordan's name.

Let's see where we are in two years. There are too many factors involved to give a good guess now. It will depend on the state of the notes, the fan reception to book 12, and how Harriet feels.

As for the contract, I can't say much. Nda again. Know that my contract was with the Jordan estate, and that they were very generous. I do have a stake in seeing the book do well. It is very similar to a regular contract.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »
So, I feel like a heel.  Just found out about this today.  Holy freaking congratulations, Brandon!  Dang, I'm excited.  Good luck with the public.  Take em by storm!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Miriel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2007, 09:55:57 PM »
I just wanted to saw congratulations...and wow.  I was expecting the "big news" on Monday to be some sort of award for Mistborn, or Mistobrn II, but the actual announcement was a larger applaud to your talent and hard work than had even crossed my mind.  Again, congratulations!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2007, 10:02:40 PM »
So we're doing well on digg with almost 400 diggs so far, that places us on the front page for the lifestyle section in both the top 24 hours and recent tabs.

http://digg.com/lifestyle/popular/24hours
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »
Wow this place is hoppin' since yesterday! I've taken all this time to get through the posts on here alone! That's really exciting for everyone.

And by the sounds of it Brandon just made some big bucks in Book sales. WooHoo!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2007, 10:11:30 PM »
There are some people on other message boards who are worried about "dozens of books being released in Mr. Jordan's name." One thing Brandon hasn't really emphasized in his responses to that is that he's constantly coming up with ideas for his own books, and these ideas are already competing with each other for his time.

I for one hope there are not a dozen Jordan/Sanderson books in the future. Not because I doubt they would be good reads, but because Brandon is a versatile and creative writer whose next original creation I am very eager to see. It pains me that I won't see more of Scribbler or Dragonsteel for over a year. I mean, I still have The Sixth Incarnation of Pandora and the 2nd half of Final Empire Prime to read, but that won't fill much time at all.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2007, 10:38:47 PM »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Child of Hurin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2007, 11:34:38 PM »
Hello!  I am new here, and wanted to congratulate Brandon on this!  I am a WoT fan, and I have (sadly) never heard of Brandon Sanderson before.  However, after perusing these forums and seeing how involved he is in his community, I am glad he got this gig.  I will definitely be buying all of his books after reading all of these great things.  I am in the school of WoT fans who believe that the series has degraded over the past few books (although Book 11 was much improved), and therefore I hope Brandon is given enough creative freedom to finish the series strongly.

Even though I want to know what happens in Book 12, I do not envy Brandon's task of learning the massive "database" of WoT knowledge.  For those who have never read WoT, it is a series that requires you to re-read the entire series each time a book comes out, or you have no hope of understanding the details of what is going on.  Check out the famous Wheel of Time FAQ (hasn't been updated since 2004):  http://www.steelypips.org/wotfaq/0_admin/0.01_intro.html

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2007, 11:48:34 PM »
I for one hope there are not a dozen Jordan/Sanderson books in the future.

Man, so do I. I've read Jordan Sanderson's writing and it's barely legible.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Errent

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2007, 01:14:52 AM »
I figure I should congratulate Brandon again, publicly. I mean hey, I don't want to be thought a jerk, and Brandon deserves not just praise and grats, but repeated praise and grats. Way to go. Steve and I were expecting something big, but we couldn't have imagined something so . . . perfect.

I think that, as far as Jordan/Sanderson books go . . . I'll be happy to have closer. I probably wouldn't mind some sort of memorial publishing; a single work that allows everyone to revel in the depth of Jordan's world and remember him . . . fleshing out ideas he wasn't able to share without seeing his work commercialized. Something tasteful.

Also, a shout out to Child of Hurin. Welcome to the boards! Glad to see another convert.
"that answer is inextricably contingent upon the type of life being led... and, of course, the quality of the pancakes."

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2007, 01:39:50 AM »
I think that, as far as Jordan/Sanderson books go

We really need to come up with a better convention than calling them Jordan/Sanderson books. It's just too disturbing. (For those of you who don't understand why just humor those of us who do.)

Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson books is preferable.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2007, 01:48:51 AM »
From my boards:
Quote from: YamPuff
Peterrrrr, use your influence and have him put yaoi in it. D:> A small Rand x Mat scene, nothing big.
Ha ha ha ha ha...

(THIS IS A JOKE. Or at least, I am posting it here as a joke.)

I for one hope there are not a dozen Jordan/Sanderson books in the future.

Man, so do I. I've read Jordan Sanderson's writing and it's barely legible.
That was completely unintentional...I swear...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:56:15 AM by Mokfather »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!