Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111469 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 03:10:25 AM »
Holy cow.  Dude.  Holy cow. 
~금강산도 식후경~

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 03:29:29 AM »
Okay I'm thinking the Warbreaker download's a pretty good idea right now... over at the NaNo site I think I've had at least three people say, "I've never heard of him before today, but this Warbreaker  is good!"

Soryn

• Level 3
  • hey hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2007, 04:12:08 AM »
Wow! Congratulations, Brandon! That's fantastic!

I was curious about that ever since you mentioned the topic of who was going to finish the books at the book signing where I saw you. I knew you were being considered, but wow! Now I have something to say to my WoT fan friends who have asked me before, "Brandon Sanderson? Who is that?"

Congratulations, again! Good luck, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy finishing the series!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2007, 04:47:28 AM »
A couple of points.

1) Again, thank you all so much for your enthusiasm and help getting the word out.

2) I will also agree that although Scalzi is my evil nemesis, part of that is the fact that he writes such darn good books.  He deserved that award, and is honestly one of the nicest guys I've met.  Also....SCALZIIII!!!!

3) This shouldn't delay my own books very much.  I'm going to bunker down and spend the next three years working VERY hard.  I don't want to disappoint my fans.  Mistborn 3 is completely done, and Warbreaker--as you can read--is well on its way.  This MIGHT delay my next book by a bit.  However, you should know that even before this, Tor had decided to delay Mistborn 3 until October (sorry) to give them time to re-release the first book in paperback.  That means I'd have had some empty time soon anyway.  This will delay side projects...

4) ...which brings us to answering the super secret project.  It was another epic fantasy stand-alone I was toying with.  If I'd managed to finish even one chapter, I'd post it to show you, but I didn't get that far.  This is the book I won't have time to write for a while, but it's a book that might not have been written anyway.  I don't even have a publisher for Scribbler yet, so writing another on-spec fantasy book was a low priority anyway.

5)  I'm not sure, now, if I'll do Dragonsteel next or jump ship over to The Way of Kings, which is a much bigger book conceptually and more ambitious.  Might be a nice way to follow WoT 12.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2007, 05:44:32 AM »
Wow, that will keep you busy.  Now I might actually have to finish reading the WoT series or maybe I'll just skip to the last book. Congrats.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2007, 05:47:35 AM »
  I'm going to bunker down and spend the next three years working VERY hard. 

Wait, how is this different from normal?  You only take one month off a year.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2007, 05:56:48 AM »
Probably won't get to take it off this year....  (Sniff.  No Halo 3 for me.)  Maybe I'll find time to work in a little rest, but I don't think I'll be able to be as lazy as I was last year.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2007, 06:43:06 AM »
psh, Halo 3 will only take you 2 days to beat so just borrow Scott's 360 christmass week you're not going to be able to get any work done then anyway.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Krelian

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2007, 07:19:55 AM »
Hey, first time here.  Just wanted to say congrats on being tabbed to finish the series.  I went right out and bought my local barnes and noble out of your books for myself and to give to other friends who are fans of the series.  I look forward to getting familiar with your work and look forward to seeing you finish the series.  Good luck with everything.  Should I read Elantris or Mistborn first btw?  I think I will start Elantris tonight.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2007, 07:26:09 AM »
Elantris is a stand alone, so it's a great one to read first.  Know that the writing in Mistborn is a little better, though.

Krelian

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2007, 07:34:01 AM »
Thats ok.  You can only get better as you go along.  Look forward to starting on Elantris, thanks.

CUBAREY

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2007, 02:17:28 PM »
Congratulations!

As any good WOT fan, the first thing I did when I read the news was to run out and buy all your books to get a feel of how you write. After 6 hours  I'm about 150 pages into Mistborn. I feel both confident and happy. Confident that Harriot (RJ's wife) and TOR picked the right author for the job.  And happy to have been introduced to an author who is well on his way to becoming one of the name's that all fantasy readers will recognize.

But just one observation, your series should be a tad longer (10 to 15 books would do nicely if each is at least 800 pages).  ;D :D

One question, if AMOL is as successful as we all hope would you consider writing any of the WOT prequels and outrigger books that RJ had planned to write? Not asking for a definitive answer just wondering if this is a possibility.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
I told Brandon in an email that this was a fantastic opportunity for him and I'm very happy for him. This is exciting. It will boost his readership and give him tons of name recognition.
If asked, I'd do it, in fact (not that I'd ever be asked).
It's possible I'd read book 12, since Brandon's writing it. I wouldn't, however, read books 2 - 11 just to get oriented.

Congrats Brandon. I think you can finally say you've arrived. YOu know, because publishing 4 books and having contracts for at least a half dozen more doesn't make you "arrived."

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »
Tee hee!  I'm so happy I can tell people now.  My sister will faint when she hears.

And I'm amazed at how many posts this thread already has.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

sboivie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2007, 06:43:14 PM »
Brandon, first I want to say congratulations. I have never posted here before but we have conversed by email a couple of times. This seems like a fantastic opportunity.

One thing I am curious about is how a contract for something like this works. I know for a regular book deal you get an advance then royalties if the book sells enough. How does a deal for this work? I am not looking for specific money figures, but I am just curious if this is similar or different. It seems like this is a big opportunity to make a new fan base, but at the same time it also takes time away from your own writing where you would presumably make a higher royalty rate.

Steve Boivie