Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111477 times)

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 10:06:49 PM »
Ditto.

except I think I've figured it out already, so I await the moment when I can either say, "HA! I told you so!" to all my family or just keep quiet.

I'm wondering how SE is feeling about this!?  ;)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »
Dude, this is freaking awesome! I almost didn't believe it when I first saw it. The thought that ran through my head was "wait, Brandon as in Brandon?" I've already started informing my "harem" as you called it. Anyway, my brother wanted me to tell you to read through the books three more times, but he's a little fanatical. I myself am more pragmatic; twice should be sufficient.  ;)

Seriously though, a huge congratulations to you.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 10:11:19 PM »
SE told me he's happy for Brandon but this will probably be the one book of his he won't be reading, same with me, neither of us want to read 11 books that Brandon didn't write just to read one he did especially SE who doesn't like the series.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 10:18:19 PM »
So, from a marketing standpoint, I would think that Tor would use this official announcement to generate more sales.  Do we know if they are going to send out some sort of insert flyer to put in his books to generate additional movement?  If I worked in the store still, I would have had a sign made already stating the news, and made my own leaflets...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 10:23:07 PM »
Some people on the wotmania forums are worried, after reading Brandon's interview on Dragonmount, that he hasn't read Knife of Dreams or paid attention to clues about Padan Fain, and wonder if he knows Noal is Jain Farstrider. There's a lot of backstory in the books that Brandon will need to keep track of to get things right. Besides Harriet, are there going to be other fact-checkers involved who know the world top to bottom?

It seems like the main fan-driven WOTFAQ hasn't been updated in a few years, which is a shame.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Kevin Dean

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:18 PM »
Jim left notes, audio recordings, outlines... He told the remainder of the story to Harriet, Wilson, Tom and a few other close friends. His assistant, Maria, has been with Jim for years and is indeed a fact-checker extrordinare as well as a rabid fan.  ;D

I'm quite sure he'll have all of the story he needs to do this correctly!

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 10:29:59 PM »
So seriously, as I don't go to any of TWOT sites, but I have read the books twice... (FMP I hope that qualifies me for some prize) How do they know that Noal is Jain Farstrider? did Jordan mention that? cause it's not mentioned in the books (that I can remember) although it seems that's where he's leading it (or was leading it, since he's not leading anything anywhere now...)

I think we should have a 'who killed Asmodean?' thread here so that when Brandon reveals it....... Okay well I had a reason, but then the baby cried and I've forgotten. Just cause it'd be fun I guess  ;D

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 10:30:19 PM »
Personally, i think they should be glad that Brandon isnt 100% up-to-date with WoT facts.  It's more important to have a good writer who can learn than someone who knows the character's waist sizes who is a crap writer.  If they want to see an example of how bad it can go with a bad writer who was close to the source, all they have to do look at the disgusting mess that became of Dune.  Thank goodness WoT 12 is being finished by Brandon.  He will do his best to make the late Robert Jordan proud.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »
I screamed when I first saw the news. Just ask Sprig ;)

I am so excited for you, Brandon. I'm so excited that the series will be finished. I love the WoT series and to have you write it is awesome beyond words.

Congratulations!!!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Werthead

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »
Brandon posted this on Dragonmount which may be of interest:

Just a quick note to thank you all for your good wishes. I just wanted to let you know that I have now seen the notes, and while I can't say anything specific without breaking my NDA, I will say that the notes are in far better shape than I had expected. Mr. Jordan's staff are very skilled, and they have complied an outline for me that goes scene-by-scene. After reading through it, I'm confident we can produce a book that Mr. Jordan would have been pleased with.

Also, I DO finally know who killed Asmodean, and I promise to include it in the book to finally answer that question for you.

Also, I WILL be more detailed in my descriptions for this book. I may need a fleet of people to help me get the clothing descriptions down, but I'll do it!

And this on Westeros.org:

I will make no claim on being anywhere as near as good an author as Mr. Jordan. However, in my opinion, there are very few authors out there who are that good. Mr. Martin could have done it, I'm sure--but it would have put a serious delay on his own books, which are already very delayed.

These are big shoes to fill, and--to be honest--I don't think I'll ever fill them. However, it IS a dream come true to be able to work on this project. I'm honest when I say I've loved these books since I was a youth.

Pat, my style is different from Mr. Jordan's intentionally. Both Mistborn and Elantris are reactions to the current fantasy market, as I try to add to the discussion without retreading ground others have already covered. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't appreciate a more densely-descriptive, introspective style like the Jordan books. I hope that, in several years time, you'll find you agree with Harriet's choice.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 10:38:56 PM »
How do they know that Noal is Jain Farstrider? did Jordan mention that? cause it's not mentioned in the books (that I can remember) although it seems that's where he's leading it (or was leading it, since he's not leading anything anywhere now...)
I dunno, it seemed pretty obvious to me, just reading the books. I'm not sure what they were referring to about Padan Fain though, but the other thing about Moiraine in book 11 is definitely blatant.

[EDIT: Brandon makes good points over at wotmania. That Moiraine thing isn't as blatant as I thought.]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:34:56 AM by Mokfather »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 10:41:31 PM »
I screamed when I first saw the news. Just ask Sprig ;)

I'm deaf in one ear and that was just via text over IM so I'm glad I wasn't in the same room.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »
Wow, that is great news!!!  I don't think I could keep all those secrets for two years if I knew how everything was going to end.  I would just have to tell someone.  So . . . if you're looking for a sounding board I'm all ears.   ;D

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 11:08:11 PM »
All of Brandon's books are seeing a huge sales spike at amazon,Elantris PB jumped 40,000 points and MB1 PB is selling in the top 100 for Epic fantasy (at a 6,000 rank overall).

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 11:17:07 PM »
All of Brandon's books are seeing a huge sales spike at amazon,Elantris PB jumped 40,000 points and MB1 PB is selling in the top 100 for Epic fantasy (at a 6,000 rank overall)
Hooray! I've been trying my hardest to convince everyone to read them, but I guess Jordan is a smidge more popular then I am. I'm so happy for you Brandon! I'm sure your wife is ecstatic.

I'm just glad I can say, I read him when....