Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111444 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 08:27:36 PM »
I stopped by the copy editors' desks and asked if anyone was a Wheel of Time fan. One raised her hand, and I told her the news...which really confused her, because she had no idea Robert Jordan was no longer alive. Oops.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »
yeah, im sitting here at work trying to explain to everyone why this is a big deal.  All i get are blank stares...these people need to read more i swear!

However, all the people who know who Jordan is have the same initial 2 comments.

1)  Holy @#$%
2)  Wow (not in the warcraft sense)

So Brandon, I guess you wont need as much help from guys like me and Ryan for setting up and pushing book signings huh?  I feel so...directionless now...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

platypuschutney

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 08:55:57 PM »
Congratulations!

I was very excited to hear this news. I've treasured the WoT series for years and it was such a tragedy when Mr. Jordan passed away.

I read your books recently and was very impressed by your character creation, pacing, and overall style and storytelling. (Plus, Robin Hobb likes you so we really know that "you have arrived."  ;) ) I totally know that you can do this, and do it well. A wave of contentment actually washed over me when I read that you would be on this project. Don't psych yourself out - just keep doing what you've been doing. We know you're not RJ himself, but I really think your style will complement the series extremely well.  I think Harriet made a great choice, and a lot of people will be cheering you on in the next year.

Best regards,
   - Alex

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 08:58:43 PM »
I thought I was hallucinating when I got that email from PW Daily! I saw, "Sanderson to Complete Final Jordan Work" and did a double take. Had no idea that this was a possibility. Way to go, EUOL!! It makes perfect sense. It's a tough job, though, which I can say even though I've never read Jordan. Just his and his fans' reputations are enough to be daunting. But I know you love a challenge. Yay for Brandon. :)

By the by, I ran into this gal who is new in my ward. Turns out she works at B&N here in Mass. I'd just told her that I loved SF and she said, "Oh! You ever read any Brandon Sanderson." heh. Turns out she used to work at a B&N in Layton or something and said she met you at a signing.  She'd only read Elantris, so of course I plugged the Mistborn series and mentioned Alcatraz. ;)

Anyhoo, good luck with Wheel of Time!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 09:04:21 PM »
It's okay, NBGA, I'll still need your help. Us little guys can stick together when Brandon's too big to remember us.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 09:06:33 PM »
It's okay, NBGA, I'll still need your help. Us little guys can stick together when Brandon's too big to remember us.

*sniff* guess I better finish that book you emailed me...

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 09:09:40 PM »
I announced it on our families web board... so lets see that's my husbands 12 siblings, their wives, and at least 29 grandchildren.

Yeah, you're right, not enough. I'll have to start emailing my friends too.

so much for ambiguity.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 09:11:30 PM by charity »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 09:11:56 PM »
I don't remember teasing you about this, but I might have. Brandon said I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, but he didn't say I couldn't stick out my tongue and chant "I've got a secret" over and over.

You mentioned that Brandon had news that you couldn't tell me. Though that might have been Sprig, come to think of it.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 09:18:24 PM »
I need to add something. Can I just tell you that I'm as happy as a lark right now. You've given me two pieces of awesome news. The Wheel of Time will be finished, and it's by someone I have confidence can do the job well. PLUS it happens to be the other favorite author I have at the moment. Hooray!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 09:22:08 PM »
I don't remember teasing you about this, but I might have. Brandon said I wasn't allowed to tell anyone, but he didn't say I couldn't stick out my tongue and chant "I've got a secret" over and over.

You mentioned that Brandon had news that you couldn't tell me. Though that might have been Sprig, come to think of it.

Sounds like something I'd do.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 09:22:58 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Stacer, I thought for sure I'd talked about this with you.  Ah, well.  I was trying to keep it as secret as I could manage.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has posted this material on their blogs and the like.  This is certainly going to be an exciting ride.

p.s. I know who killed Asmodean...

And I can't tell you.  Sorry!  I signed an NDA.  ;)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
So, given the circumstances, here is a fun little story for all of ya.

As many of you know, I stalked Brandon down after Elantris came out.  I was really impressed with the book, and at the time I helped manage the Waldens in Provo.  After being brutally shot down by another author with my request for a book signing appearance, I had small hopes that Brandon would even respond.

The next day Brandon emailed me back (the shear turn-around is a shocker in hind-sight!) saying he would love to meet me.  We met, talked, and scheduled that quasi-famous Black-Friday booksigning where he sold nearly 70 hardbacks.

Fast-forward to the following summer.

I busted by...err...butt to get people excited for the release of Mistborn 1.  We talked Tor into a pre-release event.  When I called Tor and told them I needed 250 copies of the book for the signing, they nearly laughed at me...until I told them that was how many reservations our stor had for it.  I don't even think Brandon thought it would be as crazy as it was.  By the end of the signing and the 2 weeks following, we sold ALL of those copies.  I seem to remember Moshe bowing to me at Worldcon...neat-o!!

After the signing, in a state of shocked amazement at the shear awesomeness-success of the event, I talked with my manager (now the manager in Denver).  Oddly, here is the gist of what I told him:

*loose quote* "This event just proved that Brandon will be big.  A few years from now, when it's all rolling for him, won't it be neat to say that we set up his first big events?  I mean what if he turns into Robert Jordan-like popular?  How insane and cool will that be?...

...Think he'll give us free stuff?"  *end loose quote*

Kind of crazy isnt it?  And now Mr. Sanderson (I said that in the Agent Smith voice), is typing on Mr. Jordan's own computer, emersing himself in a world and tale that he will finish.  Simply awesome...

Kevin Dean

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 09:51:06 PM »
Congrats Brandon!

I'm the technical administrator of Dragonmount.com (If we've not bugged you enough, just you wait!).

Jason Denzel talked you up to me last night in preparation for the onslaught today (you've sold a few more books, BTW, and I'm quite eager to begin devouring them). The interview and press releases on DM link to your blog and that interview has been submitted to Digg (twice, in fact) and was front page on Slashdot last I checked.

Here's to many new fans, many new books and many wild rides!

-Kevin

HANNIBALELANTRIAN

• Level 2
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 09:56:48 PM »
HOLY CRAP! Wow! Congrats Brandon! And I can't wait to see what you do! Wow though....no pressure, huh?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 09:57:39 PM »
p.s. I know who killed Asmodean...
Curse you.

Well, I look forward to seeing this revealed in Book 12.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!