Author Topic: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12  (Read 111438 times)

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon To Write Wheel of Time Book 12
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2009, 10:50:40 PM »
I'm not sure I'd say "normative" exactly, not that they were frowned upon either.
He ate my horse.

bstullis

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
    First off, thanks for the forum to impart wisdom that no one else asked for ;^P.   I have not read anything B-Sanderson has written (although I am planning on rectifying that soon) but feel compelled to share my story of the WOT rot.  To this end I wish to reply to the blog post about splitting the book 3 ways. whether you bare with me or not, here it is for all to read.

I started TEOTW in my junior year at a large high school in Utah after reading the prologue for book 3 of the WOT.  I was then told that I shouldn't read any further because I wouldn't know what was happening. . . I have since read every word of every book only 3 times (sad that it is only 3, but I have mouths to feed).  I have waited, and waited, and waited for each of the books to be released.  I have been patient, impatient, frustrated, angry (at TOR. . . publishers love to wring every last penny out of us poor, overworked, under appreciated, "hooked," students/independent thinkers (again ;^p )).  In the end I realized that "Mr. Jordan" was writing the history of a people, not just a book to be devoured.  the people may only exist in our imaginations, but history it is, and no one does that over night (we may dream it, but life still interjects as it may, causing delay in putting it to paper).  In the mean time, I picked up other series (2-5 years is a long wait for a new book, and I started reading WOT over 15 years ago) and enjoyed Eddings, Brooks, Weiz & Hickman, Paolini, & Skye to name a few, but the gold standard for a complete, complex, and involved history is still the WOT.  My biggest fear was that the old man would die before he finished the series, that and large dogs with very sharp teeth. . . but that is neither here or there. He did, and now we have waited, patiently, for the next book (hopefully with better cover art. . . another conversation I believe) to arrive posthumously.

With that being said, I approve of the need to break the book into 3 volumes.  I don't agree with the forced removal of the prime title A Memory of Light, because the book store would have a hard time reordering. . . Bah!, if you work in a book store and don't know of the WOT, then you have no business touching anything but the vacuum!!!!!  So I say keep the prime title and the subtitles.  Of the length, 800k, 900k, 1mil. . . make it as long as the story needs for a full conclusion, otherwise there would be no point other than to SELL books on the NAME of a fantastic story only.  If that were to happen, it would confirm my above assessment of the publisher.

Through his clarity of thought and transparency, I believe Brandon (it's okay if i call you that I hope) has given the world at large a glimpse of the daunting task RJ had before him.  Brandon is doing the work justice, and being merciful to us by allowing us to see the progress, and WE GET A BOOK THIS YEAR!!!!!  

I tip my hat to B-Sanderson for the task at hand and thank you for being candid.  I hope all is well with you and yours.  And Thank you for taking on this task.  

Bstullis

PS  if at all possible, think "renegotiation," I have a feeling it is going to have a larger impact than you first dreamed.

Midnight

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
Well, i know Brandon will do an amazing job. I just pray he tones down the "A face carved of stone, a face of stone, stone stone stone statue stoney face chiseled from stone yada yada stone stone" comments.  I got so tired of every character having a face chiseled from stone every other sentence.  :)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
Well you know it's just one of those things.  Illian had all this statuary and a "bubble of Evil" hit and well that combined with all the forkroot. . . well you just have a lot of stoned people.

. . .Well I would not be so all alone!  Everybody must get stoned. . .
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Midnight

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »
hah, well jordan was in his prime in the 60's...  ::)

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »

What's that supposed to mean exactly?
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2009, 03:09:31 PM »

I thought the 70's were the era of drugs :)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2009, 09:18:52 PM »
Naw the 70's were the decade of national drug recovery.  50s and 60s were the era of free love and drug abuse.  Because practically nothing was illegal yet.

Midnight

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »
It means he probably knew alot about stoned characters =p

hence all the stoney chiseled stoney stoned faces in his books.

You can't tell me i'm the only one who ever got annoyed at his character descriptions, how they were all "as if chiseled from stone" or "Solid as stone"

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »
I didn't find that annoying. I've actually used those types of stone references several times in my own writing.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2009, 01:27:05 AM »
I don't know if your the only one, but I never flagged on it as too often.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2009, 03:48:03 PM »
You can't tell me i'm the only one who ever got annoyed at his character descriptions, how they were all "as if chiseled from stone" or "Solid as stone"

Jordan definitely uses "with a face of stone" a lot in WoT, but it never bothered me. I doubt you're the only person to find it annoying. I'm sure someone else in the world got annoyed with all the "stoney faces", but I'm not one of them. :p

Midnight

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 10, 2009, 09:50:03 AM »
Well, it has quite a bit to do with listening to the series in audiobook format i imagine.  I'm sure if i read the actual books i'd feel differently.  ^^

jahmes

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »
stone faced lan... :D looks like yhe king of Malkier has a private addiction like me hehe

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2009, 08:40:53 PM »
When I first heard that Brandon was going to write the 12th book I was kind of meh...I'd never read any of his books though I trusted Harriet's decision and wasn't truly worried. After I read his books I became more and more excited to see how AMOL would turn out. Then the announcement came out that it would be split into 3 books and I have to admit I was quite angry at first. It was a very emotional, gut response because Mr. Jordan had promised us one final book and I thought it was kind of dishonorable to his wishes to split it into 3. I had my suspicions that it had to do with money, 3 books gets more money than just 1 and I don't have much faith in ANYONE trying to sell me ANYTHING be it a bookstore or a grocery store or even where I work, Old Navy. However, that was until I read his blog post about his reasons behind splitting the book and the fact that he suggested it to Tor in the first place. I think that was about the point I really started becoming  a fan of Brandon rather than just liking/loving his books. I appreciated the honesty and I think that's hard to find nowadays.
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)