Author Topic: Denvention 3 - Aug. 6-10, 2008  (Read 5747 times)

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
Re: Denvention 3 - Aug. 6-10, 2008
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 02:54:42 AM »
Alright, final post today  :-X.

Just to give people an idea on price. To quote from Denvention's Website:

We have rooms in three of the hotels closest to the convention center, and in other hotels that are 4-5 blocks away and on the free down town shuttle bus route. We have rates no higher than $159 (double) at most hotels; a few are as low as $129.

Brandon might not want to head-up a big caravan, but I wouldn't mind going with three or four other people. If we split on gas and rooms, here's a guess on the break-down:

Room per night: $159  (let's say $175 with taxes). If we have four people in a room, that would equal $175 each for all four nights.

Gas: Let's say $100 each for both ways NOTE: if this seems high, it might not be with gas @ $3 right now in the winter time.

Convention Registration Fee (if you don't pay $40 by Monday): $175.

Total: $450.

Of course that doesn't include food and spending money, but most of us didn't spent a ton on that last time anyway.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 02:56:26 AM by Christopher »
"Magic? That's not magic! I did that with blood, sweat, and tears."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 05:21:49 AM »
Did everyone vote in site selection at Anaheim? I know I did not.

So I'll ask again: are any girls going? If I go, I was hoping I might be able to share a hotel room with someone instead of being all alone and scared.  Brandon will vouch for me to anyone who wonders if I'm a psycho.
My wife says, "We're also interested in sharing a hotel room. From other conventions we've been to, we've found that it's easier for a single guy or girl to share with a couple and feel comfortable than with other single people. Anyone interested?"
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 06:10:27 AM »
My wife says, "We're also interested in sharing a hotel room. From other conventions we've been to, we've found that it's easier for a single guy or girl to share with a couple and feel comfortable than with other single people. Anyone interested?"

Will you be taking the baby?
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 06:33:41 AM »
Karen says, "Um...probably yeah. By then, she should be sleeping through the night."

I just filled out the Denvention 3 program participation survey. Man, that took forever. I had to actually think up answers to the questions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:35:39 AM by Mokfather »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 08:19:14 AM »
I've thought about going, but it's unlikely. I'm not going to any other summer conventions, but work-wise I plan on being very busy during that time of year.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 03:50:58 AM »
Oh yeah, I still do need to get famous, don't I? I will actually have my first book finished by late February, and then a decent draft by early summer.

Count me in on the rooms for sure, but I'm not sure about driving. Steve mentioned that plane tickets betwix Denver and SL might be pretty cheap and I don't mind shelling out a little extra to not have to sit in a car for 10 hrs each way (give or take). As much as I loved the car ride with Chris, Steve, Bob, & co, I would love spending most of that time chatting in a cafe rather than in a cramped nissan.

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 03:51:28 AM »
Oh yeah, and get this: I'm getting married tomorrow.

Weird.

CtrlZed

• Level 5
  • Undone
    • View Profile
    • Nethermore
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 10:47:19 PM »
Rosencrantz: Yes--very weird.  But very good weird.  Congratulations!

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 11:41:57 PM »
I just talked to Bob (Defendi). He's in.

Yeah, we'll figure out the driving/flying thing.

Unless the flights are pretty cheap, I'll likely be driving.

The room discounts through the convention people will be posted in a couple of weeks.

P.S. The registration people still haven't gotten back to me about a possible discount for WorldCon L.A. votes. I'm not counting on it, but I'll find post it here when I find out. 

Oh, and Brian, congrats on the marriage thing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:43:46 PM by Christopher »

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 04:48:43 AM »
Yeah, in the end it will depend on how much the flights cost. If they are up there, then I will be in on the car ride. Right now, orbitz is showing at about 175 for round trip ticket between Denver and SL. So we have to consider 75-ish or so for rental(?) and gas a person in four people to a car. So is not sitting in a car for an extra half a day worth 100 bucks? That's a toughy.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 09:59:56 PM »
Everyone,

My assistant booked a room for Pemberly and I at the Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center.  I mention this because the Worldcon website says they're sold out, but we called and asked for a room that was NOT in the convention block...and they not only had rooms, but had them at $30 cheaper.  ($129 a night.)  Beyond that, they gave us $20 a night meal coupon or something like that because of a promotion.

If you're thinking of staying, give it a look. I'm pretty sure that's the right hotel for the convention and the price is excellent. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 02:40:52 AM »
Everyone,

My assistant booked a room for Pemberly and I at the Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center. 

Oh ho! EUOL has an assistant now. Hoo boy, he has arrived. Was in the WoT decision that did it? I'm curious. ;)

You know, I've considered working for a literary agency rather than a publisher. I'm curious if that would offer me more places to live besides NY.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Christopher

• Level 3
  • Blah...blah... BOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2008, 03:47:57 AM »
Everyone,

My assistant booked a room...at the Hyatt Regency Denver at Colorado Convention Center...and they not only had rooms, but had them at $30 cheaper.  ($129 a night.)  Beyond that, they gave us $20 a night meal coupon or something like that because of a promotion.

You have quite the assistant. Nothing like that available now. Here's what I've come up with today. Hyatt Regency is booked up.

Denver Marriott City Center is $159 (the convention rate, $100 cheaper than the non-convention rate) plus $23 for taxes, and, darnit,  no 20 buck meal coupon.

Oh, added note. Whoever drives, let it be know, it will be another $25 dollars a day--for whatever convention hotel you stay at--to park your car. That just motivated me to check into flying (of course, gotta pay for bus or taxi to get downtown).  Leaving Wednesday morning and flying home at 6:30 Sunday night is $167.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 04:10:04 PM by Christopher »

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »
Yeah, I am probably flying. Not sitting in a car for 24 hours that week is fairly high on my list of priorities. It would be cool to get a group of us together and sit in a block on the plane. That might also be cheaper for ground transportation as well.