Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224050 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #510 on: April 26, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
Meh, I don't always get it right the first time. I'll take another shot at it.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 26, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »
You must link us to this infamous webpage of yours, V.  :)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 27, 2009, 04:26:19 AM »
Second take.

Not nearly as blobby (still a little bit of flesh-sack action), still pretty chaotic but lifting it off the ground some helps.

Also dumped the bird wing (I'd forgotten that there are no birds on Scadrial) and the oversized insect-looking limbs in favor of more misshapen semi-mammalian bits. I also tried to detail up a bit the muscles and bones inside, since they're meant to be visible through the "smoky skin".

Thoughts? It's okay if it's still not working for you, but it's helpful to be specific. Do you think the hair looks right? Or should mistwraiths be hairless (figuring that it's both A)disgusting and 2)an advanced transformation technique more suitable to the kandra)?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:07:24 AM by Inkthinker »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:59 AM »

Vin, from about the end of Book 02. I'm having some trouble determining what she would be wearing aside from the mistcloak. I found references to pockets so I assume she's wearing trousers, but I didn't find anything on footwear or shirts or otherwise. I'm really interested in finding out more of what Vin should be wearing during those climactic scenes.

Pair of koloss, one immature and one fully mature. I've gone over this design about three times now, so I think I'm about nailed on koloss, but I'm still up for thoughts if you spot something that's not clicking properly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:56:40 AM by Inkthinker »

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 27, 2009, 11:53:49 PM »
Should the koloss sword that Vin is carrying really be that big?  ???

Besides that, great job (as usual)! I love the baby koloss.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 28, 2009, 12:24:01 AM »
The sword is described as a wedge-shaped and several inches taller than she is. I took a bit of liberty in that I interpreted that to mean the blade, rather than the blade and the hilt combined.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 28, 2009, 12:31:20 AM »
You never fail to impress Ink.  That is almost exactly how I imagined Vin, sword included.

The mistwraith looks amazing.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 28, 2009, 12:36:08 AM »
Oh, OK.  :)

Yeah, I love how you did Vin's eyes.

Whoaa that is an awesome signature!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 28, 2009, 12:37:30 AM »
Ink - those are all awesome! The mistwraith is great. I never really imagined them with legs. Just kind of a rolling blob, with all the weird limbs you included. Yours is probably more accurate though.

I agree withMyabi. That's pretty much how I always envisioned Vin. The HUGE sword is sweet! Makes you really appreciate the raw strength of a Mistborn (or pewter arm).

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 28, 2009, 02:12:40 AM »
The posing is awesome, and while we can see those are both pretty rough they are awesome nonetheless!!
The koloss remind me of the uruk-hai from the Lord of the Rings movies a bit.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 28, 2009, 02:48:28 AM »
I had some trouble thinking of designs for the swords that weren't reminiscent of the Uruk-Hai swords from the movies, but eventually decided that was more or less exactly what koloss swords did look like in my mind, only 10x larger. It's a barely forged chunk of pig iron with sharpened edges and something wrapped around the hilt. All one piece, no quillions or ricassos or fancy pommels, just as ugly and basic as you can get.

It's no fault of mine if the WETA people got there first.   ;)

Ink - those are all awesome! The mistwraith is great. I never really imagined them with legs. Just kind of a rolling blob, with all the weird limbs you included. Yours is probably more accurate though.

That's kind of what I thought at first, too (see the first draft of the illustration a page or so back up the chain), but based on the feedback here and a closer reading of the text, I realized that I was overdoing the blobby chaos, and I needed to emphasize the muscles and the fact that for all it's twisted blending of forms, the mistwraith is trying to form a functional body of mucles and bones.

So, nothing to speak of on Vin's (admittedly plain and undetailed) outfit? If Brandon didn't describe it too specifically anywhere in the text (and I haven't found anything so far) then I'm guessing it's a wide-open field within the aesthetics described so far, so I can't exactly be "wrong". Does anyone remember if she's wearing boots or going barefoot during the big battle at the end of book 02?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:00:01 AM by Inkthinker »

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 28, 2009, 02:55:04 AM »
I have to say, Ink, that whenever I see you've posted something new, I get excited to see what you've come up with this time.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 29, 2009, 08:56:29 PM »
I haven't here to check up on some of the newer stuff, but Ink, I think all of your work is amazing.

Sazed - awesome.  I have nothing to suggest.  In fact, I'd like to see a color rendition, if you find the time/interest to do so, just to see what your take on the color design on the robes would look like.

Mistwraith - Take 2 is better.  I agree, maybe ditch the hair and cut down some of the skeletal stuffs (you've got a lot going on, which looks cool, I'm just not sure that's what the description was getting at).  Also, and I can't back this up with any text, I kinda got the impression that their skin was transparent-ish and that the bones could be seen in their entirety.  I'm probably just making that up, haha.

Vin - possibly the best Vin I've seen here, and there's some great competition.  I love the oversized sword too, that's about how I imagined it from WoA.

Koloss - Freakin' scary dude.  I love 'em.  Yeah, I think you've got them pegged.

Again, great stuff!
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 29, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what to do with the hair. Mistwraiths and kandra (I have learned) don't grow hair, but they can absorb it and reuse it. And I hate to dump the Sayoko head 'cause it's just creeepy, but I'm not allowed to override the text just to satisfy my own amusements.

I read the skin as translucent, but not transparent. So you can see some things close to the skin fairly clearly, and further in as just shadows. The palette and my own skills limit what I can do with that, at least in a quick rough, but I'm trying to remain conscious of it.

What were the colors of House Renoux or House Venture? Those would be the colors of his robes, I'm guessing, depending on where in the story you place him.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:48:10 PM by Inkthinker »

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 30, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »
I don't really remember what the colors were in the book but I am guessing that color choices were rather limited.  Their was not allot of things to make dyes out of with most of the plant life dead.  I would say limited to mostly white, brown, black, and red.  Not sure what you could use to make blues, greens, and yellows.