Author Topic: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**  (Read 224080 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fan Art Thread **Don't create new threads**
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »
It definitely looks cool. However, I think that the only spikes pretty much everyone knew about were the ones in the eyes—indicating that the other spikes are usually hidden by clothes.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »
That is pretty much amazing Ink.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2008, 12:15:24 AM »
It definitely looks cool. However, I think that the only spikes pretty much everyone knew about were the ones in the eyes—indicating that the other spikes are usually hidden by clothes.

And honestly, I don't know if I care for the bare-chested look anyhow, so some sort of crossed robe/tunic or something seems like a good idea.

One thing I try not to do, unless directed to, is make a costume too plain or uniform. For instance, I would give most Steel Inquisitors the cloak, but I might change up their robes or other clothing elements in small ways... different accessories, maybe the occasional tattoo outside of the Inquisition tatts around the eyes, that sort of thing. So maybe one Inquisitor would go around shirtless showing off his nails, while another would wear a full tunic. Even amongst uniformed groups like police or military personnel, there's usually minor variations.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2008, 07:14:43 AM »

Messing about a bit with color. Sanderson describes the sun as red, which implies to me a red light, but I don't know how far he wants to take that... if the sunlight were indeed red, everything would look a little weird.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2008, 08:01:09 AM »
The original greyscale treatment, prior to the color

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:04 AM »
Dang, If I were Brandon, I would have you doing the illustrated Mistborn.  Those 2 new ones are awesome.  The blue eyes make the color inquisitor very menacing, but both are awesome.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »
At first I was rather disappointed with what I saw in this thread, but, since inkthinker came along, that's no longer the case. Do you mind if I use one of your images as a wallpaper?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »
That is really close to the Inquisitor I imagined.  The robes are a bit different, but you have completely manipulated my imagination and I don't think I could see them other than the way you have given them form.  I love your art Ink.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »
I love it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »
Oooooh.
~금강산도 식후경~

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2008, 08:33:17 PM »
Get out of my head. Im impressed with everything you do, the more you create the more impressed I am
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2008, 10:40:42 PM »
At first I was rather disappointed with what I saw in this thread, but, since inkthinker came along, that's no longer the case. Do you mind if I use one of your images as a wallpaper?

Sure, I don't mind, I generally size them so that they work for that. I suggest making your desktop's background color either black or white (whichever looks better to you) and setting the image to "Center", which is what I usually do.

I wouldn't say anyone else's work in this thread is disappointing... I do this for a living, 8 hours or more a day, every day of the year, so I have an unfair advantage in the realm of illustration. I love my work, but if anything I think the other artists in this thread love their work more... they're not doing it so much that it becomes old hat, and they show more dedication and guts when putting their work in front of the world at large than I do.

If you love something enough to draw it, especially when you're not a professional artist, then I want you to pick up the pen and give it your best shot more than ever.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:07:20 AM by Inkthinker »

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2008, 04:23:22 AM »
Inkthinker, I agree with that view completely. (Up to a point.) While I'm not a professional artist by any means, I do spend a fair amount of time around them, and I always find it touching when a new or aspiring artist submits their work for review. But on the other hand, when a professional artist utilizes their talent and ability to work on something they love, it's definitely inspiring and motivating.

I think the key component is artists (Or people in general.) doing something they love. It doesn't matter if you're a professional or an amateur, if you put your heart into something people will respect you for it.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Korda

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • renderosity gallery
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2008, 01:20:23 AM »
Hi all,
Im new hooray!!

Messing about a bit with color. Sanderson describes the sun as red, which implies to me a red light, but I don't know how far he wants to take that... if the sunlight were indeed red, everything would look a little weird.

I have only skimmed the start of mistborn so I might be wrong but I thought the sun was red because of the ash in the air. Think Japan the sun is red because it is diffused by the smoke or fog in the air giving it a red appearance, this doesnt actually change the look of the environment, that said though your image looks so cool I wouldnt change it.

I'm a 3D guy myself, I just started reading warbreaker and will probably read that before I get into Mistborn properly. I was thinking of doing a cover image for it. So stay tuned folks
Wisdom cannot be found in a single sentence...

...You need at least two.

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2008, 06:34:10 AM »
ummm... I've lived in Japan and the sun definitely is NOT red. Unless you're talking about some of the sunsets, but that happens all over the world.