Author Topic: So, apparently Dumbledore is gay.  (Read 11411 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: So, apparently Dumbledore is gay.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »
I think this essay pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I think the power thing in book 7 is the more powerful of the motivations, but adding the homosexuality as an added layer to the character.

(Note that I think that Rowling does, indeed, think that there is no moral issue with homosexuality. However, the depiction of Dumbledore in the books in no way implies an attempt on her part to 'subvert' your children or endorse homosexuality. If I were to depict an LDS person in a book, it would not be an attempt to convert people to my church, it would simply be an attempt at representing my world as I see it.)

The problem is that a lot of LDS people believe that the depiction of an LDS character should become a way to proselyte, which I feel means they really ought to be writing personal essays for the Ensign rather than fiction. Yet there's a whole industry of books built on this premise (not to say there isn't some fine LDS fiction out there, but the ones I consider fine tend to forget the preaching and just tell a good story).
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 08:51:32 PM »
I'm surprised people are still talking about this, it's the biggest non-issue I've seen blow up in a while--but such is the way of the interwebs, give them something stupid and pointless and there will be more drama around it then there is about something important like the fires in California.

I think Dennis Miller said it best when asked about this (paraphrasing): "I could care less about this. People's sex lives are boring and unimportant and I'm tired of hearing about them."
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 09:00:49 PM »
Sprig, it's a non-issue for you, and that's great.  There are a lot of people for whom this is a big deal, even though I don't think it should be.  That is why I wrote the essay.  I was tired of hearing people (in real life, not on-line) talk about this issue ruining the books for them.

Stacer, I think you're exactly right on that count. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 07:42:21 AM »
Someone who never so much as kisses another man is not, in my books, gay.  If Dumbledore was gay, he should have been gay in the books, I say (there's nothing in the books that would really suggest that he was any more gay than, say, Professor McGonagall).

It just makes the series awfully inconsistent to me.  Granted, I'm not a gung-ho Potter fan to begin with, and I was already questioning the value of reading past book three.  This has only made me question Rowling's writing that much more.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »
Jade,

Don't know that it's worth arguing about, but by that same logic one could argue that ALL of the professors are gay, since we don't see them kissing members of the opposite sex either.  The syllogism is flawed. 

IE: We don't see Dumbledore kiss men, Only people we see kiss men can be gay, therefore Dumbledore cannot be gay. 

We don't see him kiss women either.  Does that mean he cannot be heterosexual?

It is good that we don't see him acting in a sexual manner in the books.  It wouldn't be appropriate in the context to discuss his romantic inclinations either way.  Therefore, what Rowling mentioned is not inconsistent, any more than a director is inconsistent for revealing scenes that were cut from a movie or discussing aspects of the characters which could not be covered in the time and scope allotted.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 01:39:02 AM »
I mean, the only reason it's coming up is because people refuse to use their imagination and think of what happened to the characters or fill in the blank. Blah.

Knew it all along did you?  Ol' Dumbledore and Harry make quite the Spartan couple, no?

I can honestly say that I am completely bewildered about this response and where it came from. I have never said, nor implied that I believe Dumbledore was gay before this. Why you would think so mystifies me.

Rather, I'm talking about excessive, after-the-fact world building and fan enforced faux development.

Look, he's not gay in the books. The relationship with Grundelwald is the only possible incident I can find that would indicate it other than wishful or other spurious thinking. And there's not really anything there that said they were in love or had a sexual relationship.

Thus, the only reason *at all* that Dumbledore is gay now is because Rawling said so --- many months after the last book was published, let alone written, let alone planned. Honestly, as far as I'm concerned that can hardly count. It's not in the book. it's not hinted at by the book. It's not implied by the book. It simply *not* *there.*

And why did it come out? not so much Rawling's fault but rabid fans who can't be happy imagining the world unstated their own way, but have to appeal to some sort of authority about a fictitious world that will not and cannot exist. Honestly, it's pathetic.

Hating Harry Potter because of this press statement is tantamount to saying that Star Wars: a New Hope sucks because 30 years after it was released someone published a book in which Luke Skywalker's nephew turned to the dark side. In fact, it's worse. because at least that was published in the context of the story, not just revealing a character tidbit that honestly, has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual artistic work in question.

*sigh*

As for Brandon's essay. I can say this, because brandon doesn't get upset. But you're wrong.

in Point two: Inclusion, while it might not reflect on the author's intention, is going to be counted as endorsement. And not jsut by the conservative homophobes you are wroking against. Try this quote from a lesbian I know:

"I nearly had a heart attack. >>;
Then I grabbed my HP book collection and hugged it to death. <33 'Cause it had gayness in it! AND I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT!  "

I'll give you a link if you want a reference.  Here's a somewhat more intelligently statement quote from the same conversation, also made by a lesbian:
"I think it does make a difference if a character in an infamous book is gay, a pretty big difference, too. Perhaps I'm standing alone on this, but I for one look forward to the day when gay/les/bi/trans topics become a popular thing in the media. Which it's getting there pretty fast, too. I mean, not only do we have shows like Will and Grace and The L word, but nowadays almost every popular shows features a little of the subject in it (Private Practice, Gray's Anatomy, Cover Girl commercials, etc). And at first, my reaction would be that they're kind of exploiting the issue and maybe even making it into some kind of trend. But if that's what it takes for a little change, I'm all for a little exploitation"

Nuff said on that, I guess. but I like to beat dead horses. I chafe at Stacer's comment about representing LDS persons in fiction as well. She has a point, but it ignores some aspects. Take Piers Anthony's character Lee in the Tarot series. Lee almost explicitly represents *all* LDS persons. He is blindly prejudiced and severely misrepresents nearly every doctrine mentioned. You don't believe this is going to color the world's perception of Latter-day Saints? If you don't, what's the point of art anyway? Whether you want it to or not, the art you create represents something of how you see the world, and a fan interpreting it that way is not just the fan's fault.

Point three also really irritated me. I guess it's because of what I read into it though, because you didn't say "don't react at all" you said "don't say it ruined it for you." If a character, *especially* a loved one, one held in a state of honor and esteem, is depicted with behavior you don't approve of, you have to say something. If Dumbledore were actually written gay, instead of the way it is, I would not consider myself a good parent if I let my child read that book, admire Dumbledore, and just be fine that the mentor is gay. I would be compelled to explain to my child that although Dumbledore had many great qualities, his homosexuality was not one of them. Maybe you can make that into good writing, since no one is perfect, but it can't be left ignored. That *does* mean acceptance, blatantly.

So I guess what I mean to say is, I agree with Sprig. It's really a non-issue unless a stupid fan question about something that has no context in the book actually means something to you. But since even brandon's making a big deal about it, I have to say that if she had actually depicted it, I would be much more disgusted.

Here's where I defend my own non-homophobia. I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. One of them is gay. And that is a big part of the book. Why? Because the author wanted to say something about Batman and Robin. It was a solid artistic and illustrative way of pointing out that Batman does not have teh gayzors for Robin. It's a paternal relationship, not a sodomistic one. make all the comments you want about pedophilia, it's not the point. By having a gay man who writes comics and gives everyone of his male heroes a teen sidekick realize, in the context of the congressional investigations, that being gay had nothing to do with those decisions, but was instead an expression of his desires for a more solid relationship with his father, he makes the point excellently.

Dumbledore, being gay, however, had nothing to do with the book.

I'm not against the the depiction of homosexuality. I think, however, that like extreme violence, drug use, and other deviant behavior, bandying it about is foolish. Yes, this comes from my religious understanding of it. I don't put haphazard heterosexual deviant behavior in my writing either. If it's there, it needs to be because you have something to say about it. Including it for no other reason than to include it lends it credence. Yeah, it exists. Ignoring it is foolish, though your argument about "it would make your gay children feel bad" is over-the-top and feels weak. but acknowledging it isn't helpful, or artistically accomplished.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 01:43:04 AM »
Jade,

Don't know that it's worth arguing about, but by that same logic one could argue that ALL of the professors are gay, since we don't see them kissing members of the opposite sex either.  The syllogism is flawed. 

IE: We don't see Dumbledore kiss men, Only people we see kiss men can be gay, therefore Dumbledore cannot be gay. 

We don't see him kiss women either.  Does that mean he cannot be heterosexual?

That would be a false dichotomy. If he doesn't kiss women or men, by Jade's logic he is asexual -- ie he does not have sexual feelings for anyone.

Ie, by Jade's presentation, not kissing women does not mean "he's gay" it means "he's not heterosexual." Not kissing men doesn't mean "he's heterosexual" but means "he's not homosexual." since he does either, he must fit into a category that is neither hetero- nor homosexual. My confusion about what people think pansexualism actually is notwithstanding, I know that certainly leaves asexuality.

Perhaps he's a eunuch?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 01:51:36 AM »
Or maybe he's just a fictional character?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 04:47:24 AM »
I have to disagree with Brandon in that knowing Dumbledore is gay doesn't help me know more about the character. If anything it makes me think that that character was poorly written. I now have all these questions about Dumbledore that weren't answered in the books such as what does the wizardry world think of homosexuals? Another is did Dumbledore ever come out to other people? Was it acceptable for Dumbledore to be gay during the 1950s because he was in the wizarding world? If all Dumbledore has was a passing fancy for one other man, but never involved himself romantically with anyone, then he really is asexual.

I can see why J.K. Rawlings wouldn't have included this in the books because including it would have probably would have detracted from the focus of the story.

Still, it's just dumb to me for J.K. Rawling to say Dumbledor is gay. First, being homosexual is a behavior, not a physical property. To be homosexual you have to engage in homosexual behavior. It's not like having blue eyes or brown. You can't be autistic without engaging in autistic behavior. Doesn't matter if the cause is by choice or inherited. Dumbledore never engaged in homosexual behavior (actions, thoughts, etc.) so saying he's gay after the fact is weak. It's like having a written a novel about a serial killer, saying he's a serial killer through the entire novel, and never having him actually kill anyone.

I guess if Rawlings had said, "I had always thought that Dumbledore might be gay" and then acknowledged that Dumbledore being gay was never brought up in the books, it would be more passable to me. But saying Dumbledore is gay after the fact makes me thinkg Rawling forgot to write something into the books or is just a bad writer. Even if she had written a passage about Dumbledore being gay and his past homosexual relationships that was taken out of the books, that would be more acceptable. Just writing that a fictional character is gay doesn't make that fictional person gay--good writers show it.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 07:50:14 AM »
I agree with Skar's first post.  Either make a statement in the literature, or don't make the statement.  Not putting it in the book and then talking about it afterwards is really spineless. 

Really, I just don't care.  Authors are suspect.  She hasn't ruined anything.  Author's don't get the luxury of interpreting their texts for people.  Meaning is manufactured by the reader. 

So pretty much, it doesn't matter what Rowling says is true about her books.  If it's in the text, great.  If it's not, it doesn't matter in the slightest.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:52:26 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 08:37:43 PM »
Quote from: SaintEhlers on October 24, 2007, 18:12:58
I mean, the only reason it's coming up is because people refuse to use their imagination and think of what happened to the characters or fill in the blank. Blah.

Quote from Skar:
Knew it all along did you?  Ol' Dumbledore and Harry make quite the Spartan couple, no?

I can honestly say that I am completely bewildered about this response and where it came from. I have never said, nor implied that I believe Dumbledore was gay before this. Why you would think so mystifies me.

I only said it because that sentence of yours could imply that anyone who used their imaginations to "fill in the blanks" would have come to the conclusion that Dumbledore was gay.  And that the only reason most people hadn't before Rowling's announcement was because they lacked imagination.  I thought it was amusing.  Totally didn't mean to piss you off.  Sorry ... again.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:09 AM »
What irks me is that she drops the bomb then she says that her books are intended to promote tolerance.  ::) okay, right, so you started writing the series for that purpose... I find it hard to believe that. and that is why it bugs me that she 'let it slip'

I agree that LDS writers can go a bit overboard with avoiding conflicts of this sort, but I don't think that there is any reason to add homosexuality into a book  (which is what she did whether it is after the fact or not) originally aimed at children. They don't see the distinction as an adult would.

It is not the fact the Dumbledore is gay, it's the homosexuality in general. Our society keeps pushing the lines of 'tolerance' so when does it stop? Does anyone remember what happened to Ellen Deg.... well however you spell her last name, when she 'came out'?
They dropped her show, or how about Robert Jordan's books, are there any hints towards lesbianism in the first ones? No. but the further along they get, you can see how societies acceptance has changed. Ellen is once again popular, R. J.'s last book was rife with "pillow friends." So when do we stop allowing it to be acceptable. Brandon's blog said that he was 'liberal' by Utah standards, I had my Father in Law refuse to speak to me for two weeks (I was visiting) because he thought I was to 'liberal' but I do not agree that homosexuality can be accepted.   

Wow... sorry, went on there a bit, hmm, wonder what time it is...

I still love the books though. And I think I'll convince myself that he 'overcame' his homosexuality, yes I think I like that.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:21:13 AM by charity »

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 09:08:03 PM »
Saint E. kind of spoke for me, but you have to remember that there is such a thing as "default".  Unless you explicitly come out and say that someone is missing a hand, we're going to assume that said individual has two hands.  Unless you explicitly say (or describe) that an individual is Autistic (or even simply has ADD), we're going to assume they aren't/don't.  It's a Da Vinci Code-style "gotcha!" to come out and spring an alternative on the reader when it's not put into the books at all (which it certainly wasn't in books 1-6).

Dumbledore's portrayal in the books is, as E. suggests, asexual.  There is nothing in the books that would suggest that he is explicitly (or even implicitly) homosexual or heterosexual; indeed, Skeeter's failure to mention Dumbledore's homosexuality, in my opinion, is more telling than the fact that Dumbledore once had a close friendship with another man (heaven forbid one should be able to have platonic realtionships with members of one's own gender!)

Rowling could have easily come out and said that Voldemort was gay, that Dumbledore suffered an accident on horseback as a young man and is (functionally) asexual, and that Prof. Sprout and Prof. McGonegal were illicit lovers; there would be as much in the books to support these claims as exists to support the claim that Dumbledore is homosexual.  That's why I have a problem with her coming out and saying it; it's not in the books, and, IMO, really doesn't make me respect the books (or the characters contained therein) one whit more for her saying it.  If anything, it really makes me respect them less (some issues just wouldn't be ignored.  If Rowling were to come out and say that Ron were a Muslim or a Latter-day Saint, there would be more of a literary outrage, I would think, for the same reason I'm bothered by her calling Dumbledore gay.  The only real difference is that the political context is different.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Phaz

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »
As a potter super-fan, I have to say that I don't believe this statement was really meant for the general public.  Not in the way that they weren't supposed to find out, but it really wasn't said with them in mind.

Lots of posts on this topic (on several forums) have said something along the lines of:

"Well, it wasn't mentioned at all in the books so..."

I think in most cases that logic is sound.  However, in the world of Harry Potter, there is a rather large cult following.  There are many websites, thousands of fan fictions, millions of message board posts, and dozens of podcasts and bands all on the topic of Harry Potter.

The people involved in that kind of subculture were the intended audience of this.  Yes, you can say since he was asexual in the books, that is what he is.

However, if you have ever listened to any of the Pottercast or Mugglecast podcasts, you know that there is a group of people out there who take the world of Harry Potter one step beyond the books.  These two podcasts (both with now over 100 episodes, released weekly) have spent entire 1+ hour sessions digesting single statements made in interviews with JKR.  Those fans want all the info on the world that JKR created that exists outside the books.   If she says Dumbledore is gay, then he's gay.   For us, the books are just one viewport into the world that she has created.  That world is what we are interested in.  If there are other ways she releases information about that world, then it's 'real.'

Reportedly, JKR has boxes and boxes full of notebooks with all kinds of 'extra' information about the books.  I remember reading somewhere (might not be true) that she had a complete back story (complete with details such as parents names, birth dates and professions) of every single student in Harry's year (40 of them I believe).   There are many Harry Potter fans who see the world as existing in those notebooks as well as in the novels. 

IMO those fans are the ones that this information was for.  The ones who want the information she used to create her world. 

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2007, 10:43:19 PM »
Given some of the silly faux-literati things Rowling has said about her own work, like that it’s not Fantasy, at all…  And that she has stated that she intends only to write "literarily significant" books from now on.  I tend to think she probably came up with the Dumbledore is Gay factoid in an attempt to give herself literary cred.  Whether she came up with it on the spot or several books ago doesn't really matter.

EUOL would probably tell me that I'm not giving her the benefit of the doubt.  He would be right.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch