Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2007  (Read 15769 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: NaNoWriMo 2007
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 06:03:14 PM »
Ugh. NaNoWriMo.org has this problem every fricking year.

When the heck are they going to get another server? It always takes me decades to load anything on their site.

anyway, http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/36896

Since their site is kind of lame, I'd rather you show up on my buddy list and harrass me:

MSN: [email protected]
AOL: SaintEhlers or SaintEhlersWork (depending on where I am, duh)
YIM: arturiuspendragon

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/230922

Good luck everyone.

what's your word count? I'm at 8,063 or something.... I think my brain is sprained.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:07:14 PM by charity »

Shi

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 09:08:43 AM »
Sweet! I'm so exited about this. Haha, I don't think I even knew what this was a year ago, how sad.

I'm starting a little late (had some date confusions), but I decided to try ir none-the-less.
Anyway, good luck to everyone!

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/250300

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »
As I've said before, I think this is a very worthy exercise, and I wish everyone the best of luck.  Push forward and write!  One of my fondest memories from my unpublished days was trying to finish THE WAY OF KINGS during the Thanksgiving holiday at my mother's house.  Did 16k in 24 hours, not to win NaNo, but because I was so invested in the story and wanted to finish the climax.

About five months later, I got a call from an editor in New York wanting to buy ELANTRIS.  KINGS would be the last novel I would finish before knowing that I was going to break in.  I still feel an occasional nip of longing as I remember those carefree days, when I could simply WRITE and not worry about reviews, deadlines, or revisions which were due. 

Interestingly, despite four or five years being involved in NaNo, I've never actually 'won' it.  I write 50k often, but I'm always in the middle of a project when November arrives, and don't want to start something new--so I just write on my current project.  Still, I'm with you in spirit. 

Try to beat me, if you can.  I'm at 10k words as of midnight, but may have to stop to do the Mistborn 3 copy edit next week. ;)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »
HA! I'm at 11738, but... I have been slowing down... ugh, I was going at about 4,000 words a day. Then daughter got sick, Sunday rolled along, my husband went out of town, now today I have two childrens doctors appointments that both include shots.... my first real test  8)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 12:21:01 AM »
I'm no race horse. I'm just passing the 10k mark. I've been writing just over 2k a day. It seems to be a good balance. I've made the mistake of trying to edit here and there.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 04:27:50 AM »
I have been resisting... barely. The other day when I was showering I started thinking about it and pretty soon I was all stressed out and wanting to jump out and go run to my computer and edit. MUST.... NOT.... EDIT.

I actually dreamed about it last night too, the editing *blush*

but I haven't yet, I've been the model of self control.

Oh, incidentally I am at 14029 as of an hour or so ago, but I did see someone on there that was at 16K  :o  I should go-- wouldn't want them ahead of me. ;)

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 11:36:40 AM »
I'm so jealous! I'm not even at the 4k yet. I'm so slow! I guess I've got to buckle down and really hop to it. I congradulate those who are keeping strong and NOT editing! Of which I am guilty, but it was the only thing that kept me from scrapping it alltogether (it was the first day, please don't sue me). I hated the story when I first started, but now I think I'm growing to love it.

P.S Charity, I hope your daughter's doing better!

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »
Thanks, Shi!

She is doing better, and convinced going to school is better than staying at home, in bed, all day!  ;)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007, 12:39:28 AM »
So I need to know. I see a lot of zeros on the NaNo site from people that visit this site. Is this because you really haven't started writing yet or because the it takes a small eternity for the NaNo site to load anything?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

charity

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 05:33:01 AM »
I've been informed by my #1 supporter that to be on track you need to be at 17,000 by Saturday.

OOOH... no pressure, guys!

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 06:14:10 AM »
Almost there. About 1k to go.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »
I've had a mixed experience with NaNoWriMo the last couple of years.  In 2005 I tried it (unofficially since I didn't sign up).  About 1.5 weeks into it I was way behind on my word count so I indulged a bit.  After realizing I was spending 3 very long paragraphs to describe the exact color or gray of the stones along a path I couldn't take it any more.  I didn't want to write words now that I knew I was going to have to take out later.

In 2006 I had had eye surgery in October and I thought I would be fine so I signed up (official this time) and started writing.  I was doing well and keeping everything under control and not too many excessive descriptions.  But after 2 weeks my eyes couldn't take it any more because they hurt so bad.  I decided to take a break for a day or two.  That turned into a week and then I just couldn't get back in the flow of it.  I think ended up with about 19,000-20,000 words.

This year my whole family knows about it and they have been encouraging me to give it a try.  I didn't know if I had it in me this year . . . but I'm doing it anyway.  My eyes are fine and family will support me so why not?
I'm a little slow starting but I'm not worried . . . yet.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/user/166911

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 07:26:02 PM »
I didn't get started until Tuesday the sixth, because I had a huge convention to run for work on the weekend, but I'm finally started and up to 3151 words after two days--nothing to cheer about, but not unrecoverably behind. I'm still at the point where I can do 2500 a day and make it in time, so we'll see how it goes.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »
*beats Dan*

I started on the 6th too, because I was sick at home and wanted something to do.

I'm at 8700ish. Didn't write as much yesterday as I wanted