Author Topic: Online gaming  (Read 3255 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Online gaming
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:11:04 AM »
So I've been meaning to ask about this, does anyone around here game online regularly?

I'm not talking about MMOs, but playing regular pen-and-paper rpgs over the internet. Things like OpenRPG and other programs seems to make this a much more feasible option than it used to be in the past.

So does anyone have any experiences with this they could relate?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Online gaming
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:57:48 PM »
Yes, I do plenty of this. Plenty of online PnP RP all the time. I use mIRC where I've been with this one channel for almost 5-6 years now. Currently I'm playing in a 4-colour superhero game using the BESM 3rd edition book. It's all sorts of fun. I'm also running a psionic-spy-horror thriller campaign with the other users in the room as well.

I like the way you can run things online, since you can just throw a link to some googled image and say that's a good representation of where you are. You know?

I've never heard of this OpenRPG, but I'm more into going with rules-lite games anyways. Less time spent hovering over pages of rules the sooner the fun can be had.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »
OpenRPG isn't a rules system. It's just a program that gives you a chat window, an interactive map, and some dice to play with friends online.

Gemm, does playing online take more or less time than playing in person?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 12:37:33 AM »
In my experience, generally stuff like combats go about as fast but aren't as enjoyable, while roleplaying is slower but a little more immersive.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

spikemuffin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »
OpenRPG works fine and is available for several different OS's. I have been playing in games where (due the lack of local players). I think I would still prefer irc+openrpg because Skype can be annoying at times and it's hard to hear if two or more players try to speak simultaneously.