Author Topic: Heroes: Season 2 Spoilers  (Read 16049 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Heroes: Season 2 Spoilers
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
i'm going to rein in the horses on Fell too. He's freaking out about repeats, but he counts Peter and Sylar as repeats too -- which means we have at least two of *every* power now. so uh.... too late -- it was at least a big in problem in season one too.

Anyway, also, the Peter becomes Irish Gangster -- hardly the plot there, my boy. Yeah, we may be tired of amnesia, but still, we have to ask, HOW did he end up in Dublin in an empty cargo container that was a) supposed to be full of iPods, and b) was clearly going to be found. We can only suppose that he was put there intentionally so someone would find him. It's not about the gangsters, that's just a ministop on the way.

You're also dropping out Maya. Come on, whenever she's left alone all kinds of people die!

And they're all linked, more tightly than they were in season one, especially by this point.

The someone scary as all crap haunting Molly's dreams is prompting her to make Kensei's kanji. The person who is killing off the company is using the kanji as a message/signature. And the source of the kanji needs help fulfilling his destiny. So uhm. Why is it you're ignoring two thirds (at least) of that whole complication?

My mind has been wrapped up in that -- not so much how Kensei is going to become the hero, that plot is old school and we already know how it's going to turn out, though it is by far the most "fun" of the plots so far, imo. but how he is linked to a) the company, an b) Molly.

Now, extrapolating to comic books. Until recently, no one knew how old Logan was. He could be centuries. Because his body heals itself -- including of old age symptoms. Could Kensei be the guy killing off the company? And is he doing it because he's a hero or because his destiny went all FUBAR and he's a villain? That would explain why they chose to end season 1 with Hiro going back in time. Him being a villain would also explain why he's tormenting Molly.
Or maybe Sylar's back and he's taken Kensei's brain and gunning for Maya and/or her hermano, which would make him just as dangerous as any nuke.

Finally, I like that it's less urgent. It's starting off subtle. That's good story telling too. Don't reveal the whole of the bad guy's plan at first.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
A note on the evolution aspect: at this point in the process, when the powers are generated by random mutation, it makes more sense that they're all different. After a few generations, when natural selection has had time to weed out the chaff, then it makes more sense for the powers to be more similar.

And I'm not discounting the other plot lines, I'm just saying that none of them has the urgency of "oh no, New York asploded."

As for the Godsend kanji being related to every plotline--yes, that's true, but it was also true last season and didn't mean anything. It may end up meaning something this season, but I'm reserving judgement on that.

I do think you might be on to something with the undying Kensei idea, though. It makes a ton of sense that he would still be around in the present, possibly as the assassin or the leader of the company or something else entirely. Good call.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »
And it makes me wonder, given the Eight and given Kensei, if this has been happening far longer than anyone knew--but that for some reason it manifested for everyone of this generation at a particular time for a reason none of us know.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 12:13:39 AM »
A note on the evolution aspect: at this point in the process, when the powers are generated by random mutation, it makes more sense that they're all different. After a few generations, when natural selection has had time to weed out the chaff, then it makes more sense for the powers to be more similar.

But it's not random mutation. Random mutation goes Suresh's against whole plot line. The mutations are a step in the evolutionary porcess. Otherwise all the Petrelli's wouldn't be super-powered. Course, it is kind of lame that all the Petrelli's have different powers.

What I'm saying is I like the repeat of powers and what to see more of it. It allows us to see how different characters would use those powers. I like that the teenage flyboy uses his powers wantonly unlike Nathan who is far too reserved about his ability to fly. Repeating powers hads a level of depth to the story that was missing last season.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 01:48:52 PM »
As for the Godsend kanji being related to every plotline--yes, that's true, but it was also true last season and didn't mean anything. It may end up meaning something this season, but I'm reserving judgement on that.

I do think you might be on to something with the undying Kensei idea, though. It makes a ton of sense that he would still be around in the present, possibly as the assassin or the leader of the company or something else entirely. Good call.

The kanji is much more significant now though. I mean, it's the focus of Molly's dreams. If her plot means anything significant, it means the kanji is too. Plus it was made famous by Kensei. If he doesn't become the hero, the symbol loses meaning. I'm putting most of my eggs into that basket, myself.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2007, 01:08:13 AM »
This article makes me hope Heroes comes through the writer's strike fairly unscathed.

Now I just want an apology from the writers of Lost.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Zokai

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2007, 01:54:28 AM »
Well, this thread seemed to stop quite abruptly.

Well, something I wanted to bounce off of you all, was the powers of those in the Company.  It was stated that the Company was formed so that those who are in the Company could use their powers to help the world.  I was guessing that everyone in the Company had powers, but there hasn't been evidence of that with several of them, such as Hiro's father, the guy (I forgot his name) who Peter was taking care of in the beginning of season one, and the Patrelli's mother.  I just wonder if they have powers that haven't been revealed yet, or what.

Also, the threat of the virus wiping out the entire planet sure gives this season a sense of urgency (there you go Fell!).  Too bad it seems to have already started with Niki.  So, what was the date that Peter jumped to in the future?  I forgot already.  Just wondering how long until that is supposed to happen.
Hey!  I thought these new forum signatures were supposed to allow 300 characters?  300 characters my as

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2007, 02:32:51 AM »
I just want to say...Masi Oka came to my workplace yesterday. I made eye contact with him twice (and live to tell about it).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2007, 03:54:24 AM »
Well, something I wanted to bounce off of you all, was the powers of those in the Company.  It was stated that the Company was formed so that those who are in the Company could use their powers to help the world.  I was guessing that everyone in the Company had powers, but there hasn't been evidence of that with several of them, such as Hiro's father, the guy (I forgot his name) who Peter was taking care of in the beginning of season one, and the Patrelli's mother.  I just wonder if they have powers that haven't been revealed yet, or what.

So, what was the date that Peter jumped to in the future?  I forgot already.  Just wondering how long until that is supposed to happen.

Angela Patrelli, and others of the Company, have alluded to having powers.  The abilities of Kaito Nakamura and Charles Deveaux may never be revealed though, there is always a chance.  Angela and some of the others still living may yet reveal their powers.  We do know the powers of a few though, like Linderman's healing, Bob's ability to change things to gold, and Maury Parkman's ability so like his son's.

As for the time that Peter went to, it was about a year in the future, however, the virus had been released about ten or eleven months before that.

The heroes have their work cut out for them.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »
I speculate that Peter started having those vision/dream things from hanging out with Charles Deveaux. Either that or he got it from his mother. Either way, one of the two had/has some sort of vision quest ability.

Someone I know has conjectured that Mrs. Petreli has an ability that is the opposite of the Haitian's. She can restore memory or help people remember what they've forgotten.

Just some ideas.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2007, 02:20:34 PM »
I dont' think that would be Mrs. Petrelli's power. It doesn't make sense. In ep 7 (?) when she meets up with Peter she has to do a heck of a lot to get him to remember her. If it was her power, couldn't she just touch him and restore it all?
Maybe she just has a very weak power.

Speaking of powers though, the Hatian. I don't remember him having the ability to suppress powers during season 1. Am I forgetting something?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2007, 03:19:31 PM »
The Hatian supressed Parkmen's powers all the time during season 1.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2007, 08:15:10 PM »
ok, you're right. I was stupid.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »
Okay, so after getting bored and skipping three episodes I've started watching this show again, and it's actually good now. Yay. Also, I seem to remember them establishing Deveaux's power pretty solidly in season 1 as being related to visions and such.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »
Yeah, I was really worried at the beginning but they're pulling things together. I admit I'm of the opinion that the whole "Hiro goes back in time" plot wasn't worth Adam's backstory. The ancient Japan stuff just dragged. And I was hoping for some more interesting character development from Sylar, but he's still just a creepy psycho. He's good at it, but it's just the same thing as last season. I guess we'll see where it goes.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."