Author Topic: Just finished The Well of Ascension *spoilers, obviously heh*  (Read 4674 times)

Ledgem

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Bow to ledgem, god of darkness
    • View Profile
Just finished The Well of Ascension *spoilers, obviously heh*
« on: September 15, 2007, 11:00:29 PM »
WWWOOOOOOOO!!!

You did it again! (And very likely for the finale) Though I did miss Kelsier, it was still AWESOME! =D

Tensoon (hope I spelled it right...) was surprising. I didn't think of it either... I knew the secret to the kolos pretty easily, but it was obvious after the Kandra... The end though, I was suspecting something was not right with the well, but I didn't figure it out until just before the end. The inquisitors are probably controled by whatever it is that was trapped (poor marsh, being mind controled like that). Zane was cool, too bad he ALSO died... Was "god" suposed to be YOU EUOL? I thought it was funny and made me think that at the end.

Well, I could probably comment on everything, but it's all great. The "right before the end part" part seemed a bit rushed, but not as much so as it was in the first (and by rushed, I mean a WAY faster pace than the rest of the book) but it was extremely great none-the-less. All I can do now is wait until the third, which if it's anything like the wait for TWoA, I'll be reading and finished by around this time next year heh ^_^ I still have to read Elantris though... I couldn't find EVER when going to a bookstore, I should probably just get it online...

Once again, AWESOME STORY! =D
"There is always another secret" Kelsier, Survivor of hathsin
Bow to ledgem, God of darkness

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Re: Just finished The Well of Ascension *spoilers, obviously heh*
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:54:02 AM »
Yes, I was wondering if we'll get to find out what was going on with Zane.
~금강산도 식후경~

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:24:23 AM »
You'll delve much more deeply into what was going on with Zane when you read book three.  He wasn't simply a throw away character--he represents some very important foreshadowing.  Can't say much more, though, without spoiling.

Elantris is Modeled at Barnes and Noble, meaning every store should--theoretically--have at least one copy.  When they sell that one, the computer automatically orders another.  Though, that can get messed up if the computer glitches on how many copies were in the store.  It can also take months for those orders to get refilled.  Still, it's probably your best bet for finding the book.  (Other than our friends Amazon, who still have hardbacks and sell them rather frequently.)

Glad you liked the ending.  I'm working on my endings--trying to space out my climax chapters just a tad more so that they still feel explosive without overwhelming.  I think I've gotten better at this with each book, but Mistborn 3 is the one I think I did the best job on.  (Note that I doubt my endings will ever completely get rid of the 'avalanche' of things happening at once because of the way I plot.  I've just been trying to deal with my sagging early-middle sections.)
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Foolie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:46:32 PM »
The end of Well of Ascension annoyed me, but it took me a little while to figure out why.  I loved the book, but I particularly loved how the entire system of magic was well constrained and defined.  Introducing the 'being' in the well, and its powers (to edit the Terrisman theology at will and such) are all completely outside of that.  I am hopeful that book three will help flesh this out, but it felt unsatisfying to bring in something so far outside the magic system into a universe that worked so well as it is.

On an unrelated point, did I miss the explanation of where all the atium went? It seems fairly obvious (the Lord Ruler was burning it to stay young, as Atium is the Feruchemical element that stores age (well, youth) ), but I never remember it explained in the book.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 03:38:40 AM »
Actually, that's not what happened to the atium (or at least not all of it). That's something left for the third book.

The "being" and its powers have been hinted at since the first book, and you'll find that it and the magic systems are quite closely related. I do see the appeal of a magic system that does not rely on the supernatural (per se), but even since the first book the fact that there was something evil that the hero was supposed to have defeated was at the forefront.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 05:24:55 AM »
I didn't think The Lord Ruler was burning all the Atium? I never came to that conclusion, I figured it was either 1) he was giving it to someone ie the Well's creature, or 2) it's gone somewhere we don't know about yet.

I really liked the twist at the end with the Prophecy.
okay, now my husband is pestering me so I have to stop caring about books and focus on him  ;) Bye!

Foolie

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
It was just curious, as we know by the end of the 1st book that: Atium stores youth, the Lord Ruler needs to burn his feruchemical metals to gain his powers, one of his powers is (kinda) eternal youth, he's needing to use more and more to get the same effect.  All of this is known to the characters and would explain a lack of atium reserves.  In spite of this, no one in the books seems to mention it, which made me think it was the 'secret' reason that no one could find the stash.

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 05:34:50 PM »
the Lord Ruler needs to burn his feruchemical metals to gain his powers,

Not the way I read it... He can use the Atium as a standard Feruchemical Metal storing his youth.  He can burn some of it as a way to kind of "Super-charge" different storage of Feruchemical Metal.

So as to say for example, in a regular piece if he spends 1 day being old he will have 1 more day of youth, but if he Burns a piece containing 1 day of youth then he may be able to get 1oo days of youth into another reserve. That is how I read it anyway.
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 08:06:59 PM »
Yeah, that's how I read it as well.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 07:16:48 PM »
I'm curious to find out what that metal bead was the Elend swallowed.  Metal that makes someone Mistborn?  Where can I sign up!  ;D
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Daarian

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »
I'm curious to find out what that metal bead was the Elend swallowed.

I say its Plutonium or some equally radioactive metal. :D
""Don't talk to me about nobleman," Vin said. "And don't say things about people you don't know.  You're no skaa-- you're just nobleman without titles." - Quote from Mistborn

Aojo

• Level 1
  • "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."
    • View Profile
    • Kicking Cinderblocks
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 07:15:51 PM »
Plutonium?  Poor Elend.....
Anyways, I thought he was Mistborn just because he was there.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
I'm more interested in finding out about Marsh. More Marsh! More Marsh! Although I'm not entirely sure I want to know how he got the spikes  :o I do want to know why he's 'turned' and if he can save himself.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 05:33:08 AM »
I'm betting that Marsh ends up another martyr, like his brother.  He's going to come to himself, and then he's going to sacrifice himself for the greater good.  At least this is my hope.

The other idea is that he is going to go totally baddy and have to be put down by the other members of the crew.  Which is my least prefered option since I really like the character Marsh.  I hope we learn more about him in the next book.  He is still the only character from the original crew that we don't know too much about.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 06:39:42 AM »
I'm curious to find out what that metal bead was the Elend swallowed.  Metal that makes someone Mistborn?  Where can I sign up!  ;D

My thoughts exactly.  ;D

I had this inkling waaay back at the beginning that Elend would somehow end up as a Mistborn, but I had no clue how that would happen. I mean, we couldn't have another book full of Vin trying to protect him from assassins could we? Elend: warrior-scholar. I love it... I just hope book 3 doesn't pick up too far after where book 2 leaves off. I want to read along as Elend figures out how to use his new power, not just read about how Vin taught him all she knows.

Oh, and Sazed at the end still makes me tear up a little bit... my family laughs at me, but I just can't help getting emotionally worked up over fictional characters.
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift