Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99795 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »
I have been authorized to reveal that Hoid is, in fact, a connection to a being known in some circles as "Noid" or "The Noid."
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »
I wonder if Hoid is an acronym for something.   For instance, Hero of Infinite Dimensions.   Or perhaps Hitchhiker of Information Dissemination.   I am trying to be a little funny but at the same time maybe its a valid idea.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 12:10:52 AM »
Wouldn't it be sadder if Brandon just answered the questions? When a mystery has so little information to go on like this, I think it's better just to wonder and wait it out until Brandon reveals the information in his books in the way of his choosing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 12:15:39 AM »
True. And yet, if he revealed just a LITTLE bit more information, this discussion could blow to all new proportions. That could be fun.

No, when I said it's sad he's RAFO-ing everything now, I didn't mean it would be better if he just told us straight up every mystery about Hoid. That would be lame. There's a reason reading is so much fun....

And perhaps shadowkiller is onto something. An acronym is a plausible explanation. I like the first one--Hero of Infinite Dimensions. Has a nice ring to it.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

KindaChang

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 08:25:44 AM »
Or maybe, much as Dirk Pitt keeps meeting a mysterious stranger in Clive Cussler's novels, Hoid is a real someone that would exist outside of time and space in regards to the novels.  ;)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
Why wouldn't he?  I love how this is setting up, although I could be completely off-target.  At the very least, Brandon created a character to play as himself if the movies are ever made  :D

As for why Hoid spooks Vin; It seemed obvious to me that he was just too carefree for someone who's job is so dangerous.  not to mention the huge army just outside the gates.  Someone like that is either insane or is quite capable of protecting himself.  Either way, that person is dangerous.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 05:13:22 PM »
Or she could've sensed that he had more power than a man like him should...Assuming he IS the same guy, he's got to have some pretty sweet magic.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
Yeah the only problem with that is Vin didn't really have the abiltiy to gage someones power. That is unless they were burning metals. I mean if allomancers did then they wouldnt be able to hide unless there was always a smoker around.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
I don't think we ever got confirmation that the guy was Hoid, did we?   I always figured that Vin could smell the trap and just avoided it.   Then again, Vin was spiked, so maybe it was Ruin telling her not to go there just like she felt the mists had changed and were her enemy during book 3.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »
Oh I didn't think of that--that Vin was spiked. (Sorry, I would quote but the computer I'm on is being stupid).  That could very well have affected the situation.

When I first read that part, I thought it was a trap, too. That would explain why Vin turned around. But now I do think it was Hoid. The man was in the square Cett had told her he'd be in, plus he was whistling, which is what Cett told her he'd probably be doing....It would be way too coincidental for it to have been a trap for her. There wasn't really any way for the people in Fadrex to find out that it was Vin coming, and she was coming that night, and that Cett would've told her about that particular informant.

And I wasn't saying it would be her metals giving away his power. I mean intuition and instincts. Vin runs on both of those--more instincts, though. It could've just been that she sensed (not with allomancy, but simple skills that most humans have) that something was not quite right about the person whistling. Or it could've been Ruin whispering to her. I like that theory too.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
At the very least, Brandon created a character to play as himself if the movies are ever made  :D

I like this idea. I will picture Brandon as Hoid from now on  :D
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »
Earlier in this thread, Brandon said the humming guy who Vin avoided was Hoid.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 08:25:20 PM »
Wouldn't it be sadder if Brandon just answered the questions? When a mystery has so little information to go on like this, I think it's better just to wonder and wait it out until Brandon reveals the information in his books in the way of his choosing.

I don't know...if he just mentioned it a little bit, talked about him for a few seconds then moved onto to something else, it would even better. Hemalurgy wasn't even mentioned until partway through book 3, and look at the countless discussions it has spawned.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 08:55:39 PM »
Perhaps Brandon knows someone with the initials H.O.I.D. and it is simply a cameo. ha ah.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:09:50 AM »
All three Hoids have things in commmon, but they are not the same person.  First of all, they all depend on their tongues for their trades: informant, beggar, story teller.  Hoid the informant and hoid the beggar are both lower down in the class system, I'm not sure where the storyteller fits, but i'm guessing he's a little bit higher up since he goes to the court of gods.  i'm still trying to find out more connections.

One other commonality I thought I'd mention.

Both MB1 and Elantris mention that Hoid must be very sharp in order to keep up in his respective businesses.
Nature hates being reified.