Author Topic: Hoid??  (Read 99820 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Hoid??
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 01:57:35 AM »
I tried to get Brandon to say something about Hoid today, when I saw him at the signing. He said he'd answer any question we had, and then I said "Even about Hoid?" and he said he's not at liberty to speak about the Hoid phenomenon....He wouldn't even say if they were the same guy. He just said "there's a character named Hoid in Elantris. There's a character named Hoid in Mistborn, and the Well of Ascension, and Hero of Ages...." He continued to name the books he's in, but he wouldn't say if it was all the same person.....I also asked about the possible Dragonsteel reference. He didn't say anything about that either. I knew he wouldn't, but...I still kind of hoped.

Question: Where is Hoid in Well of Ascension? I knew he was in FE and HoA, but I don't remember him in WoA. Yet, I know Brandon said he was in that, too.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 04:37:15 AM »
Possessed of the inability to neither confirm nor deny...Kshh/STATIC/Kssh...not at liberty to say...Kssh/STATIC/Kssh...cannot comment on so-called "Hoid Phenomenon"...Kssh/STATIC/Kssh...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2008, 09:40:46 PM »
I tried to get Brandon to say something about Hoid today, when I saw him at the signing. He said he'd answer any question we had, and then I said "Even about Hoid?" and he said he's not at liberty to speak about the Hoid phenomenon....He wouldn't even say if they were the same guy. He just said "there's a character named Hoid in Elantris. There's a character named Hoid in Mistborn, and the Well of Ascension, and Hero of Ages...." He continued to name the books he's in, but he wouldn't say if it was all the same person.....I also asked about the possible Dragonsteel reference. He didn't say anything about that either. I knew he wouldn't, but...I still kind of hoped.

Question: Where is Hoid in Well of Ascension? I knew he was in FE and HoA, but I don't remember him in WoA. Yet, I know Brandon said he was in that, too.

The Warbreaker reference strongly suggests he's been around a bit and seen things (to put it mildly).  My money is on him being the same character in all of them---somehow.
Nature hates being reified.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
I also think he's the same person. And actually, when I'd asked Brandon, I'd forgotten that he never had confirmed or denied that it was the same....I was just positive that it was because of all the talk on here, and because of that Warbreaker reference.....And now Brandon's response has me wondering if I was right in that assumption. I still think there's only one Hoid, but Brandon's answer was a little too smooth for me to be certain. He didn't even think about the response, or hesitate in the slightest while answering....although that very well could have been just because he's used that answer so much that it just flows....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2008, 11:32:15 PM »
I think he's the same person also.  I think he gave a little away in the HOA spoiler thread.  He has mentioned that all his worlds are somehow connected.  It will be interesting to see where this goes.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

haroldthesage

• Level 2
  • Yes I'm aware my avatar fails to match my username
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 09:01:39 PM »
This is an interesting thought, I will now go back and read through and read Elantris and Warbreaker...
And now my absolutely bogus idea: Hoid... is a Homeward Bounder. Kudos to those who recognize my obscure reference without looking it up.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:03:22 PM by haroldthesage »
Fear my obscure references.

It makes me laugh to think of Mistborn testing metals and coming to Cesium

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
This is an interesting thought, I will now go back and read through and read Elantris and Warbreaker...
And now my absolutely bogus idea: Hoid... is a Homeward Bounder. Kudos to those who recognize my obscure reference without looking it up.

That Disney movie?  ;)

Oh, and I don't know if it's been mentioned, but does anyone think Hoid might make an appearance in the third Alcatraz book? I know it doesn't seem to be set in the same universe, but when Quenten spoke in Spook Slang, I don't think it was just an easter egg. But then again, it might just be my overactive imagination at work again.  :D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 01:57:11 AM »
Homeward Bounder: from a Susan Cooper book? (Not looking it up.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

haroldthesage

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2008, 02:18:45 AM »
That Disney movie?  ;)

Nope, however a movie based on a book by the same author was translated by Disney, also not Susan Cooper.

Also, perhaps Hoid will be in some way related to Adonasium...

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2008, 03:12:36 AM »

Diana Wynne Jones, I think?
~금강산도 식후경~

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2008, 03:18:50 AM »
Yeah I think that's what she called the weird book about the kid that's magically forced to hop planets until he finds his own...

I liked Howl's Moving Castle and the Chrestomanci series a lot better, myself...  And of course the Miyazaki version of Howl's Moving Castle is pure awesome, but mainly because of how good Diana Wynne Jones was.  "Castle in the Air" was almost as good, but I doubt we'll see an anime version of that because the title is way too close to that of another Miyazaki film, which is inspired by (but not based on) Gulliver's Travels.

But that's assuming you're right.  I'm not gonna claim credit on this because I actually forgot I'd even read a book by that name until you mentioned DWJ.

haroldthesage

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2008, 03:47:23 AM »
Bingo

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2008, 04:02:14 AM »

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2008, 04:40:38 PM »
Incidentally, for MB2, chapter 50 annotation, Brandon as good as admits that the Warbreaker world and Scandriel are in the same universe.
Nature hates being reified.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »

Diana Wynne Jones, I think?
Oh, right. You were the one who recommended the book to me. For some reason I get the two of them confused.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!