Author Topic: Thanks to Sanderson  (Read 3489 times)

Cheetaur

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Thanks to Sanderson
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:03:44 PM »
Don't know if sanderson frequents the forums, but he's got a new fan, and I just wanted to thank him for his work.  Its been a long time (especially since i started writing myself) since I've been able to enjoy a new and young author who's work didn't fall apart after the first 50 pages :).  I enjoyed your work immensely and will be following your works for a long time. 

Cheetaur

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks to Sanderson
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:39 PM »
now that I've read the welcome AFTER I posted :), you do frequent the forums and I've really been impressed with your work.  I know I'm a new to the forums, but you mentioned sending sample chapters etc to those who are interested.  I would love to read any works that you have, and critique if you wish though I definitely am not as established or talented as you, I do hope to write for a long time in the future, and of all the styles that I enjoy reading (goodkind, wells, etc) your style has struck closest to the way I would like my writing to become.  Clean, efficient, plot and character based.  good stuff :)  feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

btw, your main website link to the forum is down right now.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:21:54 PM by Cheetaur »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »
welcome Cheetaur. (Your name makes you sound like some sort of cheddar flavored dinosaur, did you know that?)

By the way, the preferred method for handling that sort of double-post, when they're close, is to edit the first post to include both, rather than make a new one. Just an FYI to make future forum interactions more pleasant.

Please also make sure you've read the woefully incomplete FAQ, authored by Brandon and myself. They're not everything, but they give you a good headstart getting along with the others on this forum.

saberworks

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • The Massassi Temple
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 02:20:01 AM »
welcome Cheetaur. (Your name makes you sound like some sort of cheddar flavored dinosaur, did you know that?)
Haha, I was thinking of a centaur made of cheese :)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 12:43:19 AM »
I was thinking Thundercats.

Anyway, yes, welcome!   Email care package of some fun stuff coming your way.  Thanks for the compliments!
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 06:35:19 AM »
I was asked by my friends to transmit yet more compliments on Elantris. Sci-fi forums are ringing with praises :) I don't feel up to translate everything, but they already ask about other books of the same Author.

Seems also like a good place to tell about my luck. Yesterday someone stole my laptop case from my office. Not a big news, Sith happens ;) but the problem was I had a copy of Mistborn in it. I am halfway through the translation and lo! they stole probably the only copy in Poland. I wrote a panicked e-mail to Mr Sanderson asking about any electronic version - the deadline is close and I've spent a sleepless night on it. And today I've found (not exactly me, but a colleague of mine) the contents of my case dumped in the men's WC on another floor. And Mistborn with it :D Poor devil of a thief he thought there was a laptop in the case  :D I don't use laptops but the cases are mostly both elegant and functional.

Anyway it seems the Force is with me and with Polish version of Mistborn.

And Cheetaur for me looks like a combination of cheetah and Minotaur. A very dangerous combination :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:42:40 AM by Merlin »
Waiting for the Sun...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 08:02:49 AM »
Good thing you got it back! @_@

Cheatar
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:49:14 AM »
Whew!  Good thing to hear.  I was waiting on hearing from my agent to double-check the story, just in case.  I was planning to email this to you tomorrow.

Very glad to hear that you got it back. 

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »
Yes, and what a relief to me! I must remember to mail a copy to you. From Elantris, I've got only the file, because all the free copies I got with the contract were positively snatched from under my very nose "yeah, you'll get it back some time!", but I'll save a copy of Mistborn for you :)

Well, I'm just a bit shocked. My boyfriend's beloved Grandmother passed away this morning.  I feel shattered.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:29:17 PM by Merlin »
Waiting for the Sun...

Cheetaur

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 12:43:25 AM »
wow, that's quite a story, glad you got the copy back.  If the theif actually kept it... jeez, after sanderson gets famous enough, never know what he missed out on!  and it seems my name has caused quite a bit of mystery and discussion, so to end it all:

I got it from an old game from sierra, "who want's to be a hero" series.  There is a creature there called the Cheetaur, which is a mix of panther and centaur.  And its an old name that ive used consistently online since... like 10 yrs old. haha.  Anyway, there is that, and yes i've heard the thundercats thing, the beast wars thing, the cheech and chong, the cheater thing etc etc :) I should really change it with the harrassment I've gotten from it :) but old nostalgia i guess.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 04:31:43 AM »
It's hilarious how net names start.  I started by using a name from my first (unpublished) book.  One of the people in it were the Kershtians.  I liked the look of that, and it was never taken, so I was Kershtian for a while.  Eventually, I shortened it to Kersht.  And then, like a few months after that, my brother pronounced it as "Ker-sh**".  It was at that point that I realized that it might not be a good idea to use that name.  Then came EUOL, which has its own story. 

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:08:06 AM »
Cheetaur, so I was close enough with cheetah, just missed the other part.

My nick is stolen from my former boyfriend, who proved to be a very stupid liar. It had a sentimental value for me, even if it's rather masculine,  until I found out... Now I'm thinking about changing it and don't now if it is possible.  :/

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I never expected the language of Mistborn be so smooth and easy to translate. Maybe it's that after Elantris I've become familiar with the style or something, but it's wonderful.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 07:10:24 AM by Merlin »
Waiting for the Sun...

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 11:23:58 PM »
My prose is something I've been trying to work on lately.  Elantris, for instance, had more awkward passages and tough-to-say works than I wanted.  I've been trying to tweak thinks in my writing since then, and I'm glad you notice the difference!

Merlin

• Level 2
  • Lost in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 01:26:11 PM »
Oh yes, I do! :D The only problem I have are the key names. Mistborn in Polish has to be expressed in two words, so unless I make any combination I'm afraid I'll have to use some licentia translatica ;)
Waiting for the Sun...