Author Topic: Strange Dreams  (Read 6120 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Strange Dreams
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 12:11:57 PM »
SOOoo, I had one last night. Crazy go nuts stuff.

I was in the first team (out of two) climbing this mountain that held the most evil and vile creatures ever. Why we were climbing escapes me. But after a while of going up I get the bright idea to get Christopher Reeve to accompany team 2. So I somehow got off the mountain, found Chris, and convinced him to join us. So, I helped him up the mountain with team 2. It was crazy because there were actually ramps going up the thing so Chris had it pretty easy sometimes. But sometimes we would have to lift him. So we get to a "top" and figure that I should go scope out what those weird "buildings" are. They weren't really buildings, they were actually bathroom stalls for the monsters. I then went into Reeve's mind and used him to rove around in there, since he didn't really poke over the tops of the stalls. Then he finds one of the persons from team 1 and finds out that she's working for them now, cleaning. She somehow fits Reeve into the bucket she's carrying around, nothing else in it, and starts to mop.

Then I wake up.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 12:20:40 PM »
actually, that's pretty much what I figure your mind is like on a normal day. When you're awake.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2004, 05:43:34 PM »
I haven't gotten a deep enough sleep to go into REM for a long time.  Which means I haven't dreamed in a long time.  I cannot remember a dream I have ever had where I could not completely control what was going on and wake up at any point in time, in other words ALL my dreams I have ever had and remembered have been lucid.  Which I never thought was weird until now.  Thanks a lot.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2004, 08:33:13 PM »
As far as I know, if you havn't been in REM sleep for a long time, you would be rather dead, or at the very least completely insane. Isn't that the essential sleep type?
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 09:14:12 PM »
Well, the idea of REM is it is the deepest sleep your body will allow.  This is different from person to person.  So and hour of REM sleep is worth more than an hour of none REM sleep.  If you are a really light sleeper REM is less restful than if you are a really deep sleeper.  

I, however, am an extremely light sleeper.  The slightest sound or a change in temperature can wake me up.  So my REM cycle is not much more gratifying than if I was in a non REM sleep.  It takes the average person, I have been told, somewhere between 1 and 3 hours of sleep to start up REM, but the deeper you sleep the quicker you start REM.

I wake up a lot because I sleep so light.  I usually wake up every hour or half an hour that I sleep.  So for me to start up REM is very difficult.  And, again because I sleep so lightly, I don't really require REM to be awake and healthy, it just would really help.

So in reality, if you sleep heavily, then yes, you pretty much require REM.  If you sleep light, no, you shouldn't.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 09:16:11 PM »
you would be rather dead, or at the very least completely insane.

Are I not dead and/or completely insane?  I was unaware... maybe you just haven't been paying attention...
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 09:22:16 PM »
I rarely dream.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 09:39:56 PM »
Good.  So I'm not so weird.  Of course, comparing myself to Entropy isn't really that self assuring, but comparing him to me must be worse... haha...
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2004, 10:43:21 PM »
Ooh, talk about dreams that feel real...I once had a dream that I got struck by a bolt of lightning. When I woke up, my bedside lamp was broken, and I couldn't figure out why...
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2004, 01:52:44 AM »
Actually, REM is not the deepest sleep cycle. It's the 2nd or 3rd cycle on the way in and out of 4 levels, the deepest of which is the cycle that involves no dreaming or rapid eye movement at all. And yes, Jam has the right of it--if you've missed out on years of REM sleep, you're likely to have mental problems. More likely what's happening is that you're having REM without dreaming (which is entirely possible) or you just don't remember your dreams.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2004, 02:24:51 PM »
Well, that is strange.  I was told otherwise, which could be entirely incorrect, about the stage REM is.  Our health books are at least 15 years old and outdated, which is where I learned this information.  Well, then what I meant to say is I have, for the most part, missed out on a year or two of the fourth cycle.  And just don't dream.  Ever. . . or I could just not remeber my dreams, which is virtually the same thing...
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2004, 06:53:53 PM »
I had a dream last night that I won a dog. It was a black(dark brown) and white spotted labrador retriever (which I 've never actual seen or heard of). It was one of those lucid dreams. Now I'm all bummed that I woke up and don't really have a dog.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Sminja

• Level 10
  • I'm the productive one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 09:40:12 PM »
Dreams sometimes cause me to go into mild depression for a while...sometimes I'll have a really awesome dream that I don't want to end, but then when I wake up I find out it's not real, and I'm bummed...I'm probably the only person this hapens to, and its kind of weird.
"Look, if we're gonna cooperate with anyone at a time like this, it might as well be that hot chick over there!"-Cliff, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2004, 10:30:20 PM »
no, one of the lessons you need to learn in this life is that you are not nearly as special as you think.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2004, 01:28:12 AM »
I get bummed when I wake-up ussually or almost always. I think my first thoughts are almost always "Oh crap, I didn't die" or "Oh crap, the Second Coming didn't happen." Unless I had a really freaky nightmare, then I'm usually realieved when I wake up.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.