Author Topic: Stardust  (Read 2576 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Stardust
« on: August 15, 2007, 08:07:19 PM »
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phones buddy-boy! Where's everyone's talk about this movie? It came out last friday and was fantastic. I'm going to plug a friends review of the movie here.

I did enjoy the movie a lot and I thought it was a pretty good adaptation. Nearly flawless. There were a few bits that were cut from the original story, but overall, I can't complain.

What did everyone else who saw this think? And if you haven't seen it yet, why not?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Stardust
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:31:47 AM »
I haven't seen it because I never read the original and the TV commercials make it look like a total comedy farce of dubious humorous value. Is it?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 07:59:16 AM »
I loved the book, so I can't wait to see the movie. It's your standard dark-humor Gaiman. It's rather like a fairytale and I really like how he twists things around.

Now I just need to find a babysitter so I can go...
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 10:35:33 PM »
I'm wanting to see this.

From what people have told me, and what many reviewers have said, the commercials are very misleading for this film. So far, it's be well-accepted critically, but is proving to be a textbook case of poor marketing.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »
This movie was incredible. I saw it opening night, and since I don't watch TV, I haven't seen the commercials. I really enjoyed it. It's more adult than Princess Bride, and I'll have to watch it multiple times to test the replay value, but I'm going to buy it as soon as it comes out. You should see this.

Now.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 01:41:48 AM »
Saw it. Great movie.

It makes me sad that this film is going to be recorded as a financial flop.

It has great acting, great special effects, and a great script. My biggest complaint is with the director. Matthew Vaughn could have tied everything together better. He particularly did a poor job with music selection, which could have been a great way to tie unite everything. His sense of timing and pacing needs some sharpening. And selecting the worse parts of the movie to use as your trailer is unforgivable.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Pemberley

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
I've never read the book, but quite enjoyed the movie.  The Fairy Tale aspects were charming, for the most part, and I loved the wacky humor. 

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 04:53:08 AM »
Okay. We went to see this today, and it was very entertaining. The commercials really did not do it justice.

The theater was packed too, for a 3:30 showing (admittedly on a holiday, but this movie has been out quite a while).

It's definitely a much less all-ages movie than The Princess Bride, which someone was comparing it to as we walked out the the theater. If we must compare, I'd say it's hard to match up to The Princess Bride, which is pretty much a perfect movie. But anyway in its own right, Stardust was fun and well-executed.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 07:00:32 PM »
I don't know . . . part of the reason Princess Bride seems so great now is that we've all watched it so much--it's so familiar. With some repeat viewings, I think Stardust might be able to hold its own. I'll have to watch it a good ten or twenty times to tell. ;-)