Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ***Spoilers***  (Read 25095 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ***Spoilers***
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
 :)
~금강산도 식후경~

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »
Did the talking patronus thing just come out of nowhere, conveniently introduced for this book?  I know there's a bit in book 6 where Tonks sends a patronus as a message.  I'm not sure whether that meant it delivered a message or it was the message.
~금강산도 식후경~

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »
I think that Tonk's patronus in book 6 sends a message.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2007, 07:41:09 PM »

[hide]Just in case you're interested, JK Rowling did a chat (a transcript can be found here), where she says this about the sword:

Su: How did neville get the gryfindor sword, is there a link to the hat

J.K. Rowling: Yes, there is very definitely a link to the hat!

J.K. Rowling: Neville, most worthy Gryffindor, asked for help just as Harry did in the Chamber of secrets, and Gryffindor’s sword was transported into Gryffindor’s old hat

J.K. Rowling: – the Sorting Hat was Gryffindor’s initially, as you know.

J.K. Rowling: Griphook was wrong – Gryffindor did not ‘steal’ the sword, not unless you are a goblin fanatic and believe that all goblin-made objects really belong to the maker.

It has has some other great insight on the characters and such. For example, Ginny played for the Holyhead Harpies before retiring and becoming a mom. Cool, eh?[/hide]

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2007, 01:09:48 AM »
Did the talking patronus thing just come out of nowhere, conveniently introduced for this book?  I know there's a bit in book 6 where Tonks sends a patronus as a message.  I'm not sure whether that meant it delivered a message or it was the message.

This is done in previous books, just more subtlety.

I think the first case, is I want to say in book 4 when Dumbledore follows harry out to find Barty Crouch Sr (who's no longer there).   If you read the passage, it basically says something silvery shoots out of Dumbledore's wand.  It can be easily implied, that what he's doing, is sending his Phoenix patronus out to Hagrid's hut, since Hagrid comes along in a rush just after that.

Also, in book 5, it's mentioned that the order of the phoenix have other ways to communicate other than sticking a head in the fire with floo powder.  I believe in a later interview she says this refers to something we have already seen, which is that.  In book 6 the question is answered, and we are given specific descriptions of people communicating like this.   She also clarifies, when there was a poll on her site to have a question answered (visitors selected which one), and this was the question asked.  She replies at http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/faq_view.cfm?id=99

It's never explained exactly how the message gets there, but I don't see how it could transmit the message unless it spoke it.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »
I've finished the book but I'm still undecided as to what I think.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2007, 11:57:50 PM »
Just finished the book. Overall, it was good but it was slow in some chapters. I felt like Rowling had to reminisce a little too much throughout the book. That said, I enjoyed the book and felt like it brought a proper closure to the whole Harry Potter saga.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2007, 11:49:52 PM »
Finished last night.   I thought I'd be fourth in line for the book but I nabbed it second, after my son.

I'm posting in part so I can see what everyone else is saying.

[hide]
Thought it was good.  But not as good as some of the others.

I felt like there wasn't enough of a "sacrifice."  I fully expected someone with more emotional weight, such as Ron, Hermoine or Hagrid to die.  Not that I wanted them to die but it felt too convenient.  With the innumerable dangers they passed through, not the least the final battle with all the Death Eats trying to kill them, it's hard to believe that the casualty rate was so low.  It felt like cheating.

I felt like the Hallows and Horcruxes and all the deep magic stuff got way too complex.  When you have to have a whole chapter near the end of the book where Dumbledore sits down and explains everything then it is Way too complex.
[/hide]

But, hey, could I do any better?  Just wish she had submitted it to our writing group first.  The final version would have been much better.  :)
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 06:42:10 PM »
[hide]
I admit that most of this is nitpicking but I wanted to reach to previous posts, now that I've had a chance to read them.

Supporting Cast:

Neville and Luna are awesome.  But I was hoping to see more significant action from  Gawp, the house Elves, Krum, Hadrid's girlfriend, the Dursleys, and others.  But then I realized that the book was just too crowded as it was.  She crammed in a lot.  Some of these folks could have helped during the quest.

Loved the Bagshot chapter!

Hedwig:
How can the death of Hedwig carry so much weight?  I know people's pets are important to them but when you and all your best friends are about to die at the hands of death eaters then by comparison it just doesn't worry me much.  (I'll probably get labeled as an animal hater for this comment.)

Snape:

I felt sure that Rowling would redeem Snape.  It seemed obvious from Harry's previous view of Snape with Lily that Snape was in love with Lily.  But after Snape shot off George's ear I thought that possibly Snape wasn't good but just set on revenge against Voldemort or was just trying to usurp the Dark Lord's power.   I thought she did well with Snape.  Flawed but brave.  The only thing disappointing about his death was that he didn't fight back.  He seemed too smart and too quick to not react.  And since Voldemort had killed many of his own followers how could Snape be caught off guard?

When Harry went in the Headmaster's office I was hoping to see a new portrait of Snape hanging on the wall, sneering at him.

Kreatur:
I loved Kreatur's "Redemption"  It was one of my favorite parts of the book.  But as someone else mentioned, I expected a few more people to switch sides.  Which leads to . . .

Another wrong prediction:
I really thought that there would be a traitor to Harry, like Peter Petigrew was to James.  I really feared it would be Ron.  When Ron took off I was afraid he'd be captured by Death Eaters and turn.  When he smashed the locket I felt a huge sense of relief.  I thought "Ron's passed the test.  He'll be okay now."  After that I wasn't as concerned about a traitor.

Voldemort:

Considering what the sorting hat did the last time Voldemort encountered it, Chamber of Secrets, why would he summon it?  Seems pretty stupid.  Or does he have no memory of that because it was a Horcux that did it?  In any case the act of putting it on Neville and setting it on fire seemed juvenile.  I'd expect that from Malfoy or Crabbe but not Voldemort.

And I half expected Harry to tell everyone that Tom Riddle's father was a Muggle.  That would have been an excellent scoop for the Quibbler.

The Elder Wand:

If the wand works as it apparently did, being taken from Malfoy because Harry disarmed him, then Harry's comment that if no one takes it from him until he dies is not correct.

My son was making up new names for books and threw out the title "Dean Thomas and the Elder Wand."   

How could that happen?

Here's the beginning of my outline for my first Harry Potter fanboy fiction.   :)

Dean Thomas, as professor of Defense against the Dark Arts, invites Harry to Hogwarts to demonstrate dueling.   Harry doesn't try hard because he doesn't want to show off or disgrace the teacher in front of his students.  Dean disarms Harry.  (If what Harry did to Malfoy counts then why wouldn't this?)  This means that the Elder wand now belongs to Dean.   How does Dean find out?  While sailing on the lake by Hogwarts his boat tips and he drops his wand into the lake.  He borrows someone else's wand and says "Accio Wand."   Instead of summoning the wand that's sinking to the bottom of the lake it calls the Elder Wand, which bursts out of Dumbledore's tomb and flies to him.

That's the long way of saying "I don't buy Harry's little sermon about removing the power of the wand."

Question:
I thought that when Harry and Ron were in Slytherin's dungeon disguised as Crabbe and Goyle that Malfoy mentioned that his dad had stuff hidden under the floor of the Malfoy mansion.  Did that ever show up latter in the series?
[/hide]

But on the whole I must bow before Rowling's genius.  Harry Potter is a marvelous creation.  I had a blast reading the books.   Still I think The Prizoner of Azkaban is my favorite.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2007, 08:31:18 PM »

But on the whole I must bow before Rowling's genius.  Harry Potter is a marvelous creation.  I had a blast reading the books.   Still I think The Prizoner of Azkaban is my favorite.

[hide]About Snape's portrait in the Headmaster's office, JK Rowling said that since he abandoned his post before he died, he didn't have one automatically appear after he died. She did say, though, that Harry would later fight for his being worthy to have one and one would be created later.

In reference to it being dumb of Voldemort to summon the sorting hat, you're right in that he doesn't remember what happened in the Chamber of Secrets. He didn't even know what Lucius had done (i.e. given the diary to Ginny) until after the fact, so he definitely didn't see it happening. It pretty much acted on its own. [/hide]

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »
Obligatory posting for "spoilers".

And now, on the edit, my thoughts:

[Hide] So, no one has mentioned any of the things that I had trouble with in this book, and so I thought that I'd throw in my two cents.  First let me say that on the whole I think that Rowling had a great idea and that she's accomplished many great story and characters arcs that I have really enjoyed.  Unfortunately, this last book's execution just about killed me.

The fact that Harry, Ron, and Hermione sit on their collective butts and do relatively nothing for the majority of the book, and (coincidentally?) the entire length of the school year has already been mentioned. 

My second large issue was with the sequence concerning the dragon escape sequence.  The three kids climb up on the back of this beast that is thrashing down a relatively small (compared to the dragon) tunnel.  Sounds like hamburger mash to me.  Dragon back to tunnel ceiling.  Then, amazingly, the three of them start carving out the ceiling of said tunnel and make the opening larger for the dragon's ease of escape.  Hmmm.  Well, unless they were making the dirt and stuff disappear (and I didn't get that sense) doesn't it all just fall onto the floor of the tunnel.  Making the tunnel no larger?  The whole scene was just about the most laughable scene I've ever read in a book.

The biggest gripe for me though has to come with the ending.  Way...too...contrived.  Eek!  Voldemort wants to kill Potter.  Badly.  He knows that Potter is in Hogwarts, knows that his own last horcrux is there, has confidence that he'll be able to smash through any opposition, but he decides to hold his forces back and gives the good guys the ultimatum "until midnight" or some such.  This gives Harry just enough time to find the room of requirement, go searching for the last horcrux, and find it.  Oh boy.  Then, Harry stumbles upon Voldemort and Snape talking, and instead of Voldemort just Avada Kedavra-ing the poor sap (who definitely got shafted on the grand exit in my opinion...) like he and his death eaters have been doing with all of their other opponents, he has Nagini bite Snape.  Thus leaving Snape the opportunity to give Harry his memories.  But oh no!  It's midnight!  And Harry doesn't know what Snape wanted to tell him.  Well, luck is on his side, because old Voldy gives them another hour!  Hooray!  Just enough time for Harry to run to the Penseive and finalize Snape's part in the grand scheme.  Then we get explanation hour so that all us readers can figure out what has been going on behind the scenes unbeknownst to us, concerning the wands and the setup and Dumbledore's genius scheming. 

Now that my rant is complete, let me say that I still think that she did a great job of overall (series) storyline.  The execution of this book just killed me though.  She's said all along that she had the last part of book seven done before even starting the first one, and after I had read this, I could completely agree with that statement.  She did have it done.  And because of that, she never took any time to flesh it out.  That is the frustrating part for me.  I didn't want just a bunch of explanation about what had happened.  I could have just waited and picked up the encyclopedia that she's planning on writing in the near future if I just wanted the facts.  Give me story!  Ahhhh!

And the thing about the epilogue that a few people have mentioned.  I think that it was perfect.  That is exactly the way that I think big series like this should end:  at the beginning.  Coming full circle.  [/Hide]

On the whole, I'm glad it's done.  And I liked reading the last book.  I just think that it could have been handled so...much...better.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:52:34 PM by dan_gaidin »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
just wanted to see the spoilers
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »
The Whole idea of Patronuses talking annoys me, I mean;  even if only because having them mime the messages would be *soooooooo* much more entertaining. 

Go ahead, picture a hopping grasshoper patronus trying to mime "The forest is on fire; get the buckets~!" or something like "Jane's run out of tampons, in the bathroom! Send help soon!" ... I mean, honestly, wouldn't you just kill yourself laughing watching that? (Especially if this was a friend?) I almost feel sorry for Jane and her extravagent limb-flailing grasshoper patronus.

(but mostly I just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted to see what everyone else's intellectual arguments about this book was- and hey, I made a squicky joke out of it so it's sort of recompense ----- wait, wait is that even a word? I mean, I want to believe it's a word but I've been known to be wrong. Oh well it's payment by trade at least.)

:-*
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2008, 02:57:26 AM »
i apoligize for ressurecting this thread but i wanted to read the STUPID, STUPID hidden posts

btw i figured out the major plot twist at the end with Harry being a Horcrux halfway through book six...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2008, 04:15:24 AM »
i apoligize for ressurecting this thread but i wanted to read the STUPID, STUPID hidden posts

btw i figured out the major plot twist at the end with Harry being a Horcrux halfway through book six...
I did too.  I had it all figured out except the hallows, but only because they were never mentioned or hinted at before that.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。