Author Topic: Names?  (Read 13041 times)

Comatose

Re: Names?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »
I also think that FirstMateJack's names were innapropriate, but I didn't remark on them because I thought he might be joking.  If he isn't he needs help, but if he is, I probably just mada fool of myself. ;)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 02:38:28 AM »
It sounds like you're basically shooting down the names just to shoot them down. Is it because you want your brother to choose something you thought up, you're feeling argumentative, or what? Just curious.

Mostly just to shoot them down. Largely to tease my "younger" brother. ;D

Okay, I do have to use this name for the rest of my life in one way or another. I do hope it is a name I can 1) pronounce, 2) spell, 3) remember, 4) differentiate from the gazillion other family names I have to remember, 5) say without laughing or feeling embarrassed. I would also hope that my brother has enough sense not to give his child a name that traumatizes him.

And I honestly don't know if I could someday accept a kidney from someone named Emron.  ;)
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 03:42:47 AM »
First, let me clarify that uncles have no naming rights for this child whatsoever. If you like a name, start having your own kids!

Second, for my dear twin brother, be careful about referring to me as your "younger" brother. That might generate some maturity comparisons that you will regret.

Third, be careful about shooting down some of these names as you might offend someone who reads this website.

I am grateful for the suggestion that have been given so far, many of which are under consideration. Please feel free to continue to make suggestions.

My wife wanted to point out that the name needs to match with our others sons names.  So we were wondering what names people thought match well with Isaac and Leif?
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 04:31:54 AM »
I suppose Erik is off-limits? Or Thorvaldr?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 05:12:21 AM »
Ya, Erik and Thorvaldr isn't being considered. Neither is Newton.

Comatose

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 04:15:20 PM »
I re-read some of the messages and I just have to ask.  Does your son watch Avatar and want to name his brother Aang?  That's the only cartoon I could think of that has character with and arrow on his head.  I think it's a great show, but should not be used as a reference for naming children.

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 01:51:21 AM »
Yes, my son watches Avatar. I agree that Avatar should not be used as a reference for naming children, but that not what my oldest son thinks. He keeps on telling us that we should consider the name "Aang." Therefore, as consideration, if the child is born with a big blue arrow on his head then the child may be named Aang, otherwise, it's unlikely.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 01:10:45 PM »
Second, for my dear twin brother, be careful about referring to me as your "younger" brother. That might generate some maturity comparisons that you will regret.

THe problem is, when you start threatening maturity comparisons, you've already lost the "maturity" game.

Third, be careful about shooting down some of these names as you might offend someone who reads this website.

If he does, it's just as well. If that post can offend someone, something I post is *bound* to offend them sooner or later. Probably sooner than later.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »
Another suggestion: Orion.

And 42, they're just suggestions. I'm not attached to any of the names (I thought Emron would be a cool inside reference since it's not a commonly known name from BOM and he's a Nephite soldier). I am just trying to help Lost generate some ideas.  :D

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
I think you should name him Bonnie, just to stay consistent.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 01:24:30 AM »
As is constant with the naming game, I have to get a few out of the way.

Have you ever considered "Cumulonimbus" or "Fortyseven"?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 05:36:54 AM »
Emron sounds too much like Enron--just my two cents.

Let's see:

Dafyd (Welsh for David)
Matthias
Roine (not French! It's Swedish, I promise!)
Howell

These are all that's coming to mind at the moment. I'd recommend other names, but I had to use up most of mine when I kept having boys. :P

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »
Emron sounds too much like Enron--just my two cents.
heh. Exactly the first thought that came to mind, even though I knew a guy named Emron.

But I love the Welsh spelling of David, though the poor kid would be spelling his name out for people constantly.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 05:31:05 AM »
It's good insurance against telemarketers, and someday my son Padraig will thank me. As it is, he already feels unique and special because he usually gets a look of surprise when he spells his name for people.  Now if I can just get him to be a little more choosy about to whom he spells his name . . . I shoulda taken the OB's advice and given him the middle name of Knucklehead. Or maybe Precocious.

Aen Elderberry

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »
When considering what to name our children I always bring up -

Bishop
Senator
Mister
General

and suggest that if we want a family name then we should consider

Grandma
Uncle

But we always end up using something else.  You may ask "where is my wife's sense of adventure?"

We have used real family names and biblical names.  I actually prefer names that you can spell.  Check out the chapter on names in Freakanomics before you decide to use a weird spelling.
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." - Albus Dumbledore