Author Topic: Settlers of Catan, Risk Godstorm, Bonanza (The Bean Game)  (Read 13583 times)

Comatose

Settlers of Catan, Risk Godstorm, Bonanza (The Bean Game)
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »
I recently have played some reeally exciting board games, that i think are a lot of fun, and i just wanted to see how many other people have played them, and what they thought.  All three of these games can be purchased at the dragons den game store, or probably other places, settlers and bonanza (beananza in english) orginate in germany.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Settlers of Catan, Risk Godstorm, Bonanza (The Bean Game)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:48:16 PM »
There are multiple articles on the site about Catan, including Kije's amusing "Vagaries of Catan" (search for it, I'm lazy). Risk Godstorm has been reviewed too. I've played it a couple times and like the underworld much better than Risk 2210's moon.

I believe I've played Beananza once. My friend speaks fluent German and buys almost any game made there.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »
My wife and I have friends/relatives over all the time to play Settlers of Catan.  Well, actually we play Cities and Knights which is an upgraded version of Settlers, but it's loads of fun (unless we play with my brother, because he's a whimp when it comes to what his wife wants...)  Never even heard of the others though.  Luck.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Comatose

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 06:33:09 PM »
I have also played cities and knioghts as well as seafarers, but ithink cities and nights is better than seafarers.  Cities and Kniughts is lots of fun, and the abilities granted by advancing are awesome, but when played a lot over and over, i think i still prefer regular settlers, which is surprising because I much prefer godstorm to regular risk. 

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 09:49:46 PM »
Godstorm is the best version of Risk, I think, because it has an actual sense of strategy instead of just "I trade in three cards, get a zillion armies, and crush the board in 1 turn." Risk 2210 did a similar thing, but Godstorm works better and is more balanced.

I've never played Cities and Knights, but I love normal Settlers.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Comatose

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 11:31:45 PM »
I also really enjoy the fact that Risk Godstorm has that added strategy in the miracle cards in placement of gods.  Ironically, this makes the game feel more real to me, then trade three cards for extra armies.  I also enjoy how atlantis adds extra strategy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:52:10 PM »
I have also played cities and knioghts as well as seafarers, but ithink cities and nights is better than seafarers. Cities and Kniughts is lots of fun, and the abilities granted by advancing are awesome, but when played a lot over and over, i think i still prefer regular settlers, which is surprising because I much prefer godstorm to regular risk.
I am amused that you spelled "knights" three different ways in that paragraph, and none of them were correct.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »
I' played a game of Godstorm with SE once. He whupped my butt and he whupped it good. However, it did seem enjoyable, no matter how out-of-it I might have seemed.

I've been playing the game Carrcassonne with a bunch of friends at work, and it is just all sorts of fun. It's similar to Catan, but you build a town with roads, cities, cloisters, and farms with four-sided tiles. I must get the expansions soon so we can enjoy MORE Carcassonne fun.

I also have to find a Catan box that's not too expensive. Any suggestions?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Comatose

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 04:38:31 PM »
Well, SaintEhlers, I realize now that I did spell "knights," three different ways.   I am afraid to inform you that I am a rather chronic typo user.  It is not my fault, I was infected by the typo gnome disease.  For my honour and the well being of all typo-shy denizens of this forum, I will try my hardest to proofread my messages.  I am sorry for the inconvenience.

As for Gemm, I'm sorry to admit that most games of Catan are kind of high on the price range.  I don't know any way around this, but in my estimation it's worth it as a game, and it makes a good birthday present

P.S.  SaintEhlers, just so you know, in reality, I do know how to spell "Knights", I am sorry for forcing you to read such a poorly typed post.  I just fixed another potential typo- the "reality" above was spelled "realikty."  I am getting better you see.  I hope you don't take this post as offensive, because it was not meant to be.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 07:20:01 PM »
I think I will build my own copy of Catan. First I shall need some mountains. Then, sheep and fields of grain! Then, the ORE! HAHAHAH!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Comatose

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 10:02:54 PM »
That is actually a really good idea.  All you'd need is some cardboard to cut the hexes out of and some paper for the cards.  I'm not sure what you could use for pieces though.  It might be a lot of work but it sure would be cool.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 07:13:35 PM »
I want to build one out of cupcakes. Or the shattered dreams of children; either one will do.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Comatose

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 08:54:02 PM »
You could even make a real island of Catan.  You'd just have to kidnap some mountains, capture some sheep, and get a bunch of farmer to agree to some slave labour, and you could do it ;).

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »
FOr the record, I'm *much* more amused than offended.

And to build a real-life Catan game, you're also going to have to offend some hippies with some massive deforestation.

Comatose

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »
And to build a real-life Catan game, you're also going to have to offend some hippies with some massive deforestation

Too true, of course you could just put a 2 or a 12 on the forests, those are never rolled.