Author Topic: The Whitney Awards  (Read 11853 times)

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
The Whitney Awards
« on: June 18, 2007, 03:17:27 PM »
PROVO, UT—JUNE 18, 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WRITING GROUP ANNOUNCES PRESTIGIOUS NEW LDS FICTION AWARD

“We shall yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own. . . . In God’s name and by His help we will build up a literature whose tops will touch the heaven, though its foundation may now be low on the earth.”

When Latter-day Saint Apostle Orson F. Whitney first spoke these words, the literary canon of his people didn’t contain many works. Fast forward over a hundred years, and literally thousands of novels are published, enjoyed by readers each year.

The quality of fiction has significantly increased in recent times. New writers are finding it harder to break into the industry each year. This is hard for upstart writers, but great for readers.

While LDStorymakers began several years ago to serve only as a support group and opportunity for networking for LDS writers, it has morphed into a powerful force into LDS market.

Today they unveil their newest project, the brainchild of LDStorymaker and novelist Robison Wells: an annual fiction award named after Orson F. Whitney, honoring his vision of having LDS “Miltons and Shakespeares.”

“The Whitney Award will be given annually in conjunction with the LDStorymaker writing conference each March,” Wells, the author of three novels published through Covenant, explains. “This is an exciting time to be part of the LDS fiction industry, and we hope the Whitney will become a prestigious and sought-after award.”

Anyone can nominate a novel published during the previous calendar year in any of six categories, and a final academy of industry professionals will vote on the final ballot. Nominations are being taken for books published in 2007 by LDS authors at the Whitney Awards website: www.whitneyawards.com

Incidentally, this award is not just for LDS fiction, but for all LDS authors--meaning: Brandon's eligible, too.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:25:38 PM by House of Mustard »
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: The Whitney Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 04:15:23 PM »
This is a cool idea--I hope it works out.

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 06:12:55 PM »
By the way, I just found out I posted the rough draft of the press release, not the real one, so forgive the spelling errors.

www.robisonwells.com

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 07:09:18 PM »
I think this is a great idea, and I'm not just saying that because I was there for the initial discussion. Creating a sought-after award for LDS fiction will be a major step in "legitimizing" LDS fiction and the LDStorymakers. Sci-fi wouldn't be nearly as respected as it is if we didn't have the Hugo and Nebula award as a sort of "here's the good stuff" sign post.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:21:50 PM »
That is an interesting bit of trivia, by the way: these awards were inspired during a dinner with me, Fell, Brandon and his wife.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »
so that means Brandon isn't eligible because he was involved in some manner of their existence.  Because we all know he's been trying to create awards to give to himself.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »
No, he's eligible.  The only ineligible authors are the seven on the committee.  (So, me.)

www.robisonwells.com

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 05:25:15 PM »
You make up all 7 members of the committee?  I knew this was rigged.
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »
You're just bitter because YA is lame.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 11:05:37 PM »
* SaintEhlers casts protection from Red to avoid the flames that are sure to happen.

Firemeboy

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Spoooon!
    • View Profile
    • Chickens Don't Have Armpits
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »
Ah, but you see, my book covers everything.  I have copulating chickens (romance), murdered chickens (suspense), GI Joe toys (Science Fiction/Fantasy), the whole thing is historical, and at the Edith Bowen elementary school, I was picked as top author, beating out even J. K. Rowling.

So, I'm just going to feel really bad for everybody when I sweep the awards.  But don't worry, I will accept all 5 awards with humility and grace.  I will only use the words 'suckahs', and 'hosers' with dignity and eloquence.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:42:42 PM by Firemeboy »
Licensed to dispense PEZ in 28 states.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 12:39:19 AM »
I don't think it's possible to use the word "hosers" without looking either like someone who has been in a coma for two decades or worse, like a Canadian.

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »
You must not have read the rules closely, Matthew.  Libertarians have a lifetime ban!

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Staff
  • Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 03:39:14 PM »
Hey guys, big cool news:

PROVO, UT—OCTOBER 23, 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WHITNEY AWARDS COMMITTEE ANNOUNCES LARGE CASH AWARDS

The Whitney Awards Committee announced today that they will be offering seven large cash awards to be presented at the upcoming Whitney Awards banquet in March 2008.  These cash prizes are due to the generosity of the Whitney Awards’ marquis sponsor, ExclusivelyLDS.com.

Founded earlier this year, the Whitney Awards program is a non-profit organization dedicated to rewarding excellence among LDS authors.  With the new sponsorship of ExclusivelyLDS.com, winning authors will receive up to $1000 along with their trophy.

The Whitneys offer a total of seven awards.  The five genre awards (Best Romance/Women’s Fiction, Best Mystery/Suspense, Best YA/Children’s, Best Speculative Fiction, Best Historical) will each be accompanied by a $500 cash prize.  The two overall winners, Best Novel by a New Author and Best Novel of the Year, will each receive $1000.

“We’re very excited about the sponsorship with ExclusivelyLDS.com,” Robison Wells, president of the Whitney Awards Committee, explains.  “There is enormous talent among LDS authors, and every year seems to produce better and better novels.  This is an exciting time to be part of the LDS fiction industry.  Our hope is that these awards will raise awareness about the high quality fiction available from LDS authors, and to draw in new readers.”

Over a hundred years ago, Latter-Day Saint Apostle Orson F. Whitney declared “We shall yet have Miltons and Shakespeares of our own. . . . In God’s name and by His help we will build up a literature whose tops will touch the heaven, though its foundation may now be low on the earth.”

Anyone can nominate a novel published during the previous calendar year in any of seven categories, and a final academy of industry professionals will vote on the final ballot. Nominations are being taken for books published in 2007 by LDS authors at the Whitney Awards website: www.whitneyawards.com

###

Robison Wells
Whitney Awards President
[email protected]
www.whitneyawards.com
(801) 691-9115

Whitney Awards Committee
13 West Center
Oak City, UT  84649

In related news, Brandon, Stephanie, and Matthew are all eligible for the 2007 Whitneys.  Go nominate!

www.robisonwells.com

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »
The word "large" before "cash awards" may be a bit of hyperbole.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!