Author Topic: Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End *SPOILERS*  (Read 2970 times)

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End *SPOILERS*
« on: June 04, 2007, 05:18:31 PM »
Well, after the second one, I wasn't sure what to expect with this movie, but I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I was especially apprehensive after seeing the Sheldon's comic on it: http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/070527.html. But I have to say, I totally disagree with his assessment of the movie. I admit, I'm not really critical of movies (after all, I love watching Disney Channel movies, or at least many of them), but I didn't find it confusing at all. It made sense in a Pirates of the Carribean twisted sort of way. Sure, it was pretty fantastical with the whole rescueing Jack from being dead, and have a heathen goddess, but it's that genre, so, meh.

But I really liked this one. The ending was sad, but it made it more powerful. The scene after the credits gave it finality, in my opinion (i.e., no more movies to come), but I have heard speculation that there is a way for Will to leave the ship without dying (I only overheard pieces, so I'm not sure how. Something to do with Calypso and true love.) And of course, the thing about the fountain of youth. It's possible they wanted to leave the option open, but haven't decided whether they'll make another (possibly depending on how this one does and whether the actors are willing to do another).

Thoughts? Feelings? Disgust?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 03:51:49 PM by Tink »

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:11:43 PM »
Thought it was rather good.  Didn't get all that confused at the different twists.  I do think that they chopped the Calypso thing way short though.  I kept expecting more finality to that whole storyline.  As far as the movies go, I think that I liked the first as a stand alone, and the next two as a set.  Didn't really care for where the story went after the first, but as two separate entities, I have to say that I liked both.  Ah, and this third one was definitely action packed.  Crazy.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:23:10 PM »
Yeah, I keep hearing from people who were confused. I think I must know a lot of weak minded people. Yeah, there's a lot of twists, but they're not particularly difficult to follow.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 05:53:07 AM »
I thought is was a great movie. I liked the action sequences, the special effects, and the large amounts of fantastical elements.

I didn't find it to be confusing, but it is a movie where you have to pay attention. They don't repeat things or place a lot of emphasis on plot points. The plot points just fly at you so they can keep the action moving. I would have liked to see more of a conclucion to the Calypso plotline, but after she left the screen I wasn't expecting to see her again.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
I loved  it. If they do another I will be torn for a couple of reasons. I liked that this showed the fidelity and love of two people in the end, and I am not sure that they have enough for a fourth installment. I would hate to be left with a bad taste in my mouth by a movie that isn't neccassary for completion of the story, when this one did so well, in my opinion.

I think that Calypso was a bit shorted, but I think that the maelstrom was the best you were going to get out of that line after she found out that Davey Jones was the one who had betrayed her in the beginning. I really love Stellan in this role. I thought he was so good.

Johnny Depp, hmmm, what a dish. ;) I have had a crush on him since 21 Jump Street and it doesn't hurt that he can act very well too, in my opinion. What a joy to watch the play between him, Orlando, and Keira. I think that trio there is the reason the story didn't fall flat on its face from the beginning. I think it could have been so much worse, and I am so glad it isn't.

And Keith Richards of the Stones....am I the only one who noticed him? Now you know why Jack Sparrow is the way he is. ;) I thought that was a brilliant piece of casting there.

Over all, I thought it tied up the story very well, and gave a sense of closure and finality to it all.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 09:08:18 PM »
Would it help to know that if there is a sequel, they plan on it focusing on Jack Sparrow? From what I understand, it would focus on Jack's trying to find the fountain of youth. I think that it's good because Will and Elizabeth's storyline is finished in my opinion.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »
I would probably see it, regardless of the plot line, because the series has been a joy to watch. But, it does help some that if they do a fourth it would focus on Jack. I agree with you that Will and Elizabeth's story is tied off very nicely.

twisted

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:50:46 AM »
I saw this and loved how twisted it was.

I'm so in love with Johnny Depp (please don't tell my husband) and the sight of a dozen of him on screen at the one time was enough to keep me going for a while. 

I believe that they have left it open for a fourth installment and to be honest.  I just can't have enough of Jack.  I would have like to have seen more of Keith Richards though.