Author Topic: Elantris Audio Sample  (Read 3788 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Elantris Audio Sample
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:26:17 PM »
I just posted a sample of a reading a man named Lance Meibos did of Elantris.  Thoughts?

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/drafts/warbreaker/Elantris--lance.meibos.sample.mp3
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Elantris Audio Sample
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:31:34 PM »
we should probably add a flash based player for this to the site so people don't have to download it if they don't want it and could just stream it instead.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »
It streams for me when I click the link.  It goes into quicktime.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:01:35 PM »
I refuse to allow quicktime to do that same with WMP, I don't like things from the web being loaded on click like that.  My set up only allows for it to be downloaded when you click.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:04:09 AM »
I like the audio a lot; I'm a fan of audio books...but most likely this is because I am a fan of long car rides...

In my extreme oddness, I followed along  and laughed when he switched Raoden's eye and hair color (or maybe my copy misprinted it?)
Knowing the mysterious, the imaginary, seems to me as vital as breathing, for without it, how can we further our society?

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 05:38:40 AM »
I am sorry, but I really couldn't listen to more than the first couple of minutes. :( I don't know if it is because I am so used to the fella who does the HP books that I was expecting something else, or if it was because I felt the reader had over dramatized the first part that I heard, or something else entirely. But, I just wasn't able to give him the chance he deserved, I suppose, to win me over.

And he may be totally to someone else's liking, just not to mine.  I will try again a little later, and now that the shock of it is past, maybe I will be able to give him more of a chance and listen to the whole sample and perhaps have a more informed opinion. Give me a day or so, I will come back with another thought or two.

Lightningfall

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 07:11:55 AM »
I find that when I listen to a new reader for the first time that they never seem quite the way I thought they would.  They do, however, usually grow on me.  The thing that hit me right off was his pronunciation of Elantris.  Now, I'm not saying that the way I say it to myself is right its just different and that kind of throws me and will continue to until I get used it.  Just my two cents.

Drerio

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:57:29 PM »
I, too, am a fan of audiobooks, and so I have listened to a lot of books that I have already read.  Each reader has their own style, it does take me a while to get used to them.  But, I also agree with dawncawley.  I liked this guy's reading, but it was a bit over-dramatic with his reading.  If he could tone it down a bit, I think he would be great.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 06:44:50 PM »
I listened to it all the way through this time. And I stand by my previous statement, with a minor change. I don't think it is his voice I dislike, but the way he reads the book. I understand that the person narrating an audiobook needs to show the emotion of the story, but I feel that while his voice seems to have grown on me, the rest of it has become more glaringly bad.

That sounds awful. Let me see if  I can clarify a bit. Enthusiasm and emotion are a good thing for a narrator to have, but at the appropriate time, in appropriate measure. I think that, for my taste, Lance is a bit too enthusiastic in his portrayal of emotion. And somewhat off in what goes where. Maybe it is because I read it and see it a certain way in my own head and this is different, and more somehow, than my own imagination makes it.

As I said before, his voice seems to have grown on me and I think with a bit of polish on the style, I hope that is the right word, of his reading that it could be really good.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:18:49 PM »
I finally got a chance to listen to that, and I have to agree that he seems to emphases things I don't think I would.  Still, I really like the idea of an audio book, since I love to listen to them as I work.  I agree with what someone on the blog said, and making it so that there's a diffrent person for each of the main povs.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Soryn

• Level 3
  • hey hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 10:04:49 PM »
I listened to a bit of it, and I also agree with Dawncawley. His voice is good, but something about the enthusiasm sort of turns me off to what he's saying.  :-\