Author Topic: review: Doppelganger  (Read 2727 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Doppelganger
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:21:10 PM by Spriggan »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: review: Doppelganger
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:00:28 PM »
Great review, Fish. EUOL's been telling me to read this one for weeks, but apparently the copy at his house is yours. Do you mind if I borrow it?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08:48 PM »
Nessa, please use the new syntax for linking to articles on TWG as mentioned in this thread.
http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5296.0

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 08:24:35 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:02:30 PM »
Great review, Fish. EUOL's been telling me to read this one for weeks, but apparently the copy at his house is yours. Do you mind if I borrow it?

Go for it.  I've been telling EUOL you should read it.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 01:55:10 AM »
Okay, Fish, enough's enough. I've read several books because of your reviews, and have enjoyed them all. This leads me to read more books that you've reviewed, and I just don't have the time to keep doing that. I already know that I'm gonna find a copy of Doppelganger and read it, using time I should be spending on homework or a social life. So, clearly, you need to stop reviewing books, or start having really bad taste in them. I need my time back!
;D
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 05:47:53 AM »
Lol.  Glad you're enjoying them.  Um, I mean, sorry for impinging on your time. 

Oh wait.  No I'm not.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:12:29 AM »
Well, at least let me know whether this is part of a series. I recently finished Kitty Takes a Holiday and The Ghost Brigades, and am axiously awaiting their sequels. I want to know ahead of time whether I'll be waiting to see how events unfold at the end of this one.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 05:11:56 PM »
It's a stand alone.  It could potentially have sequels, but I doubt it will.

It makes me SO happy that you're reading the Kitty books.  YAY!  I just read Kitty Takes a Holiday, and need to write a review of it soon.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:52:04 PM »
I still need to read Kitty goes to Washington.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 12:06:07 AM »
Yes. Yes, you do.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 03:37:48 PM »
I read Doppelganger yesterday. I liked it for the most part, but it really started to fall apart toward the end--the characterizations started to unravel, and it eventually became obvious that the plot wasn't going anywhere. It's a fascinating idea, though, and the early stuff was really good.