Author Topic: Huckleberry Finn Presentation  (Read 2144 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Huckleberry Finn Presentation
« on: May 03, 2007, 05:52:59 PM »
Hi all.  I just figured I might as well shamelessly plug a presentation I'm giving tonight.  It's on Huckleberry Finn film adaptations--the topic I wrote my Masters Thesis on.  If you're interested in adaptation, Huck Finn or me speaking in public, come on down tonight (Thursday May 3rd) to Orem Public Library at 7pm.  It's going to last for about an hour, and I'm bringing along some of the rare adaptations I've accumulated.  Clips will be shown, fun will be had, an audience will (hopefully) be present.  Wish me luck.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Huckleberry Finn Presentation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:31:22 PM »
Sounds awesome, Parker. I'll try to be there, but I make no promises; If I can't be there, sing a few bars of Big River for me.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »
Very cool, Parker. So you're going for your MA in American lit, like I did, eh? Isn't it wonderful to have your master's thesis DONE?? Just be careful you don't get sucked into another master's program like I did. Wow, I am poor.

I love Twain by the way. I'm reminded of some preview chapters from Scalzi's new book, The Last Colony. (SCALZI!!!!) I read the first of the series, and so when I got Tor's monthly newsletter, I clicked on over to the chapter excerpts. It's hilarious, largely because of how he slips Twain into this story about some far-off alien planet that's been conquered and colonized. Just thought you'd enjoy it...

http://www.tor-forge.com/Excerpt.aspx?isbn=9780765316974
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:55:13 PM »
Actually Shrain, this is the thesis I did back in 2003 for my BYU MA in English.  And like you, I went on to get a second masters--in Library Science.  That's over now, though, so technically I guess I'm a Master Master.  It's sort of like Little Ceasar's Pizza Pizza, just more expensive.  ;-)

And it'd be awesome if you came, Fell, although isn't Thursday night RPG night?

I'll sing a few bars of Big River if you come, but if you don't show, then I ain't singin' anything.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:28:19 PM »
Actually Shrain, this is the thesis I did back in 2003 for my BYU MA in English.  And like you, I went on to get a second masters--in Library Science.  That's over now, though, so technically I guess I'm a Master Master.  It's sort of like Little Ceasar's Pizza Pizza, just more expensive.  ;-)
ROTFL. Ohhh, boy. I like that idea for a title. I'm going to have to use that to introduce myself once in a while.  Master Master Bylund. Sounds good. ;)  I don't remember hearing that you were a double threat in the degree department. But I sure hope I, too, can call myself a Master Master someday soon. (December, I hope!)

So how did the presentation go? Did Fell make it? How was the response??

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 06:33:33 PM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Parker

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 07:44:13 PM »
The presentation went very well.  No TWG representatives, but I had about 24 high school students show--that was the target audience.  It lasted an hour and I feel like I did a good job.  No big blunders, and I got quite a few laughs, which is always nice.  And my supervisors seemed pleased, which is also a very good thing.  If I do this again, I'll be sure to give people I know a bigger heads up in advance.

(Oh--and my English MA was in 2005.  I've always been bad with dates.)