Author Topic: Y.A.S.P... (Also known as Scribbler)  (Read 26516 times)

first

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Y.A.S.P... (Also known as Scribbler)
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2007, 11:26:59 PM »
is there a civil war going on? i only got to read the first two chapters, cuz thats all he put on his site, so i have no idea.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2007, 12:33:19 AM »
It's eventually mentioned that it's some years (several decades, I assume) after a war that threatened to break the United Isles apart.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Drerio

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2007, 12:06:35 AM »
I have enjoyed the first three chapters of Scribbler that you have put on your website, but there are a couple of things that strike me.  First, is there a connection between the number of Rhithmatic schools (eight) and the age at which an individual is chosen to become a Rhithmatist (eight)?  Second, the Master seems somewhat reminiscent of the Lord Ruler, at least in that they both remember/ choose their favorites.  I remark on this because I find that it makes a much better story when one book by an author does not remind me of another they wrote in a different universe.  So far, I think you have done a remarkable job of keeping the worlds seperate!  Thanks!

first

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2007, 04:54:24 AM »
one other thing i noticed was that sometimes it sounds like its really simple and you either are a rithmatist or you're not, but other times they talk about its "eight years too late for that" and it sounds like he had a chance to become a rithmatist but he missed it

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2007, 08:46:12 AM »
What it seems to me then, is that being a Rithmatist is not a question of "you have the gift or not" but more like "you've been chosen to do this or not." Joel has abilities, except he somehow missed his chance. Like something should have been given to him when he was 8 (at inception?) but it didn't happen. He wasn't good enough, or maybe it coincided with his father's death. Still, and this is from three chapters, I think he gets the ability somehow. The tutoring or the knowledge of that one secret that keeps him from bringing his work to life. Maybe the villain is the Scribbler, but maybe he is one as well. Interjected speculation with no real basis in fact.

Something... It's late.

first

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2007, 12:02:06 AM »
yeah from the first chapter ive really hoped he finds a way to do it because it would really be a waste of his talent and a major let down, at least for me, if he couldnt bring his drawings to life. But i think he'll almost definitely become a rithmatist because brandon really set it up so it seems like he deserves it--the only thing is that it might happen just at the very end of the book. That would be fine but it would be a bit too much like Elantris, and almost the same thing happened with the God King in Warbreaker too.

zarepath

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2009, 09:30:27 PM »
Is there any way to still get in on reading a copy of this thing?  I randomly found the three sample chapters and I'm intrigued. 

I imagine EUOL's working on TOM and WoK, but hey, if there's any chance I can read about people dueling each other with lines on a chalkboard, I am taking it.

Also, twenty psycho-fan points to whoever reenacts a Rithmatics duel on one of those drawing java programs.  Wait, scratch that.  A hundred.  I'm willing to reach into the coffers.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2009, 10:31:23 PM »

It's actually done on the ground around you usually.  Chalk boards are used really only for demonstrations.

I think it would be a fun game for the NDSi.  It would already have a place where you could draw and it would be rather. . . interesting.  =]  Plus the second screen would give you the ability to see what your opponent was doing and give space between you.  I think that would be more fun than a Java based program, because unless you have a tablet, drawing on a computer sucks.

EDIT: Unless you meant that M.I.T. smart board thing.  That would be pretty cool.  Especially if you could like, make one big enough to stand on.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:36:46 PM by May-A-Be it's Kwanzaa »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 11:25:24 PM »
Dude, Chris, we totally have to do this at the WoK release!!!  You and I will study up, and get someone else to ref for us, and we'll make rules to account for the fact that the lines don't move.  It would be so much fun!  And there's room out on the square too... plus, you'll be dress properly already.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »

Yeah, with the Duster Jacket my grandma is making me!

=D

I'm totally going to flare it up and use the Taylor.  Just FYI. xD  Sadly, we'd have to have someone there who knows how the system works.  Maybe we could Talk EUOL or Ook into reffing for us.  Also, we should record it and put it on YouTube for all these guys to see. ha ha.

EDIT::  Gosh, I need to practice drawing circles.  0.0
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:24:37 AM by May-A-Be it's Kwanzaa »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 05:30:09 AM »
No freaking joke.

And as for a mod, Kendra could as long as she makes sure to come down.  I doubt that Peter or EUOL will have time.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 05:40:35 AM »

She read it?  Coolness.  I'll have to offer to drive her as long as she makes it to Poky I'll bring her the rest of the way.

Seriously, stupid monkey in the phone booth is killing me.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I would be very willing to referee the competition. Should we just keep the system as it is at the beginning?
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2009, 10:08:19 PM »
Zaz!  I forgot you live around here (I know, bad of me, eh?)  As for the system, I think we should all get in an IM convo and figure out the exact point system.  Obviously we can't have the chalkings and lines of vigor killing everything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2009, 05:31:54 AM »

Yeah, chalkings and lines of vigor will be the hardest part to judge. 

Do you have AIM Zas?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。