Author Topic: Y.A.S.P... (Also known as Scribbler)  (Read 26519 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Y.A.S.P... (Also known as Scribbler)
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2007, 05:31:49 PM »
You know EUOL, you really need to start charging a surcharge for people to read this stuff like $2 or something.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2007, 05:06:16 AM »
Alright Brandon, I got the email with Scribbler in it. Hopefully I'll have read it and sent you comments by the middle of next week or so, but who knows.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

first

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2007, 02:24:21 AM »
hey i just read the first chapter in the free chapters for warbreaker and i thot it was the most interesting beginning compared to warbreaker, elantris, and mistborn. is there a way i can read some more of it?

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2007, 04:33:44 PM »
I read the 1st chapter of Sribbler which is on bs.com....and its very interesting.
Would like to read more, if possible.  ;)

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »
The sample chapters at the end of Warbreaker are for Mistborn, Elantris, and Alcatraz. Not Scribbler.

U-Boat

• Level 2
    • View Profile

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2007, 10:49:51 PM »
Well. That is an interesting beginning. Can they do this form of magic in anything besides chalk? Etchings in stone or metal, ink drawings, or such like that? I know not the chaklings (maybe in ink), but some of the basic defenses or something like that?

ideadude

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2007, 09:56:47 PM »
He may be crazy, but the books are crazy good.  I want to play the scribbler video game which could be based on this program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df8wAla57PI

Here is the game I was thinking of when reading the first chapter of Scibbler:
http://shedletsky.com/euclideancrisis/media.html

The game is still in development. The students at Stanford behind the game were finalists at the Independent Games Festival. (http://shedletsky.com/euclideancrisis/)

first

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2007, 03:31:18 AM »
he put another chapter out too at the warbreaker page. Its pretty cool but the way the people talk sounds a bit too much like today sometimes. He should put something like how the warbreaker people always swear saying colors so that it sounds more different. Hope he keeps putting some more chapters up though or the book comes out so i can buy it

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2007, 07:15:12 PM »
I was never clear on what century Scribbler takes place in.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2007, 08:49:43 PM »
I got the impression that it was sort of an alternate history where the technology went a different direction (i.e. springwork rather than steam and then oil), although I think that could be clarified.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007, 09:05:08 PM »
I'm still trying to hammer out the setting on this one, so comments like First made are very helpful to me.  I'm not sure if I want to leave the 'sexy' comment in there or not.  That's one of the big offenders. 

My original idea for it was, actually, something more along the lines of Lemony Snicket or His Dark Materials.  They aren't alternate histories, but something else--where the book doesn't really define which century it's taking place in, and where some things are modern and some are not.  However, my books tend to be more 'hard' than theirs, so I don't know if I can get away with it or not.

As for those who asked to read the book, I have to be very careful whom I send this to, as it isn't sold yet and so if it gets posted on the internet, it could really foul up my chances of finding a publisher.  That said, I will be looking for some readers when I do the next draft, so if you still want to read it, PM me and when I do the rewrite in a month or so, I'll pick a few and send out copies for review. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
I want to read "Lemony Snicket and His Dark Materials."
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

first

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2007, 02:24:24 AM »
if its going to be like sort of modern like you said, i would say to put something more than just the way they talk. Just like having somebody use a sink could help--although depending on how modern you want it to be, that particular way of doing it might be less helpful and more just confusing. I dont know if you did in anything like that in the later chapters , but other than their speech everything seemed pretty medieval to me. It might just be because that's when most of the books that i've read and had magic in them were set, though.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2007, 09:04:45 PM »
Late 19th century or early 20th century seems most likely, unless that universe's version of the Civil War happens at some other time.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!