Author Topic: Unbelievable (SPOILERS)  (Read 4456 times)

JoeC

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Unbelievable (SPOILERS)
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:28:31 PM »
Yes, this is another post from someone who loved Mistborn. Sorry, I've just never felt so compelled to compliment a book before in my life.

To Brandon,
       All I can think of is THANK YOU. I have never been so blown away from reading a book (and I've read a LOT of books.) You have truly renewed my love of reading and inspired me to go back to the typewriter myself. The characters, plot, pacing, etc.... were all perfect to me. Absolutely blown away. It's rare for me to show excitement or glee from watching a movie, nevermind a book! But the scene where Kelsier finally decides to take the Inquisitor on by himself was incredible! I couldn't stay seated. I literally had to read it standing up with a massive smile on my face. To provoke such a reaction from just words on a page is the greatest compliment (at least I think so) an author could receive. I absolutely think you deserve that compliment from me, and I hope you feel proud. You should.
       In about September or October of last year I had just finished Lord of the Rings and another good fantasy book before that and I was in the mood for another one. I usually bounce around genres but I was on a "fantasy roll" for lack of a better phrase. I just didn't want another political thriller or horror story. So I went to Barnes & Noble and bought two books, one of them Mistborn. At the time the description on the inside cover made it seem half-interesting. A month and a half later when I finished the first book I picked up Mistborn and re-read the inside jacket. I decided that I had wasted my money  and let the book sit in my closet for another three or four months (sorry Brandon I didn't know then what I know now! Don't take offense.) Last month I figured I'd read it anyway because I had paid for it and it was just sitting collecting dust.  I was immediately hooked after Kelsier somehow killed Lord Tresting and destroyed his home. I needed to know how he did it. Long story short, for the next couple weeks it was hard to put the book down. I read it sparingly because I didn't want to blow through it in a day! There was too much to enjoy and I liked to reflect on certain chapters after I'd read them. You've truly done an amazing job with this book. I am definitely your fan now.
       I eagerly await book two of the Mistborn trilogy. I'm glad it isn't that far down the road.Again, it's unreal the emotions I got out of that book. When Kelsier died I was so depressed! I understand it was for a purpose that couldn't be achieved while he was still alive, but I don't care.....haha. I liked him so much. He was so cool.
      In closing I'd like to again say thank you for this book and congrats on a job well done. I'll try to keep my future posts shorter and more to the point. I just had so much to say after reading Mistborn. This post is actually short and to the point compared with how I truly feel. A more frank letter would be a rambling mesh of compliments sprinkled with a lot of excited expletives. "Holy ****!" or  "God****!" would be used many times...LOL. I understand I can't do that here , so I restrained myself and waited a few days to gather my thoughts before I posted. I'll enjoy being a member of your fanclub and look forward to participating in other discussions.
    You have a good day.
-Joe C

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Unbelievable (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »
Well, make sure to check out Elantris. :)
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 02:52:07 AM »
Getting my hands on Elantris is definately in the top five "need to do" things in my life right now.
Thanks for the reply.
-Joe C

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 10:26:40 PM »
Tage, for some reason your post got to me and I went out and bought Elantris. I am presently 80 pages into it and enjoying every word. Thanks.
-Joe C

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:09:44 PM »
Wow, Tage--I didn't know your Jedi mind tricks worked over the internet now.  I'd better be careful about what comments I read of yours . . .

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 12:12:06 AM »
Also, you want offer me beautiful women who are single and attracted to somewhat nerdy guys.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »
Error: No such target.

(ooo... that one's going to get me into some trouble)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 03:58:29 PM »
It's because the beautiful women attracted to somewhat nerdy guys are already married.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »
I'd still get in trouble if I said that. Trust me.

Tage

• Level 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »
Actually, my experience is that Sigyn is generally right.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 08:56:05 PM »
I landed one.  Granted, she's attracted to VERY nerdy guys (points at self) but that's beside the point.

I appreciate the compliments, JoeC.  They mean a lot to me.  I'm glad that you liked Mistborn so much!  Don't judge Elantris too harshly compared to it; they're very different books, and I think I learned some things between writing it and Mistborn.  Still, I think Elantris is a very good book with a lot to recommend it.

It's good to have you on the boards. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:08 PM »
I'd still get in trouble if I said that. Trust me.

I was going to say it but didn't for the same reason.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 10:06:38 PM »
WOW. Thanks for the response Brandon. I recognize the difference between the two books, and am currently enjoying Elantris thoroughly. I let you know what I think when I finish it. Glad to be a part of the boards and I'll talk to you later. Have a good day.
-Joe C

P.S. I think Sigyn is correct. If you want a beautiful girl who's attracted to somewhat nerdy guys, then chances are you'll have to steal her away from whatever geek she is currently with. Peace.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
I'm just waiting for the single girls to come smash us all to oblivion.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 05:16:33 PM »
The "get them before they're already married to some other nerd" thing is why Tage hangs out with so many underage girls.

P.S.: I cannot foresee a future in which making fun of Tage will ever get old.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net