Author Topic: TwiggyCon 2  (Read 6064 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
TwiggyCon 2
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:33 PM »
It's time to get real serious about this folks. Everyone who is near the east coast or will be this summer, we want your opinion. We'd like to incorporate as many of you as possible.

We need to answer the essential W's

Who?
What?
When?
Where?
Why?

How is pretty much your own problem.

Who is easy. Anyone who can make it. Specifically TWG regulars on the east coast or nearby. but anybody.

What sounds easy. Like last october, an informal gathering for games, touring, food, and friendship. But I want to be more specific.
Activities from the last one included:
roleplaying (Jeffe led us in creating characters for Nine Worlds)
boardgaming (Attack, which didn't turn out as fun as it could be, and Settlers). I know there won't be much argument with another game of Settlers, but I want to propose the board game version of Age of Mythology too. It's a lot of fun.
videogaming. Mostly we played XBox, Lego Star Wars, a car game (i forgot, we crashed a lot), and DOA 3. I have acquired an xbox controller for the PC however, and own Lego Star Wars for the pc, so we won't *have* to have an XBox to play that two player. We won't argue with anyone who brings a console, however, even if it's old school.
Touring: The Old Post Office, the National Aquarium, a sculpture garden, the outside of the capital building. There's hella more to do in the DC area
Dining: Jeffe cooked us an excellent meal. I'm not going to volunteer him again, but won't mind if he volunteers himself. He's good. However, if we have more people, it might be hard on him. We also went to Five Guys, which I'm going to nominate as a regular part of Twiggycon. Pizza as well.  There are lots of restaurants in the area, so eating out isn't a problem.
Movies: We watched Hulk (Shrain fell asleep) and Some Kind of Wonderful (I think, or was it Pretty in Pink?).

Other possible activities: Pirates, Magic: the Gathering, other rpgs, writing workshopping, the park for picnics or frisbee golf. Or other stuff you guys can think of.

Keep in mind that if there are enough people, we could easily support two activities at once.

I would like to have more of a rough schedule though.

When: This summer. But let's get specific. I nominated August, but Shrain whines about going to London then. June is hard because the Ehlers family reunion is in the last week of it (I think) -- other parts of June would be ok, I guess. When are you guys available? I'm thinking something like 3 or 4 days. More than that makes my wife grumpy that I'm gone so much.

Where: The DC area, I'm assuming. I don't know if I can host the whole thing again, so it would be nice if people had ideas for the logistics of this. Esp if we have more than 4 people. Then I *know* I can't host you all.

Why:  Because it's fun to chill.

Please, please, please post your opinions and ideas, folks.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: TwiggyCon 2
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:11:23 PM »
I will be in D.C. the weekend of... June 23-26. I'll be very busy with ALA, but I do want to take one evening to gather with TWG people. And to have Jeffe do a podcast interview of Tiffany Trent.

Activities? I'd love to tour, because I haven't ever seen D.C. I'd rather tour than play games, if I had to choose due to limited time.

Where--I'll be in a hotel near the convention.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:21:17 PM »
Who: Me. After all, I have to "represent" for the women. /me wonders if she will be the only gal yet again...

What: I would like to see the International Spy Museum. Yeah, I know it costs money but I've heard it's teh awesome to miss. I'd like to see the American Indian museum (for the first time) and Air & Space (again).
Games like Settlers and the mythology thing would be cool. I loved the nanofictionary too. I definitely want another crack at Lego Star Wars (it was such a bummer when the disc got messed up last time).
Homemade dinner would be scrumdidleyumptious.

When: As SE mentioned, I *may* be in London in August. I will be taking an intense summer class in late June to the end of July or thereabouts. So it looks like late May or early June or even early Sept. (We don't start
But really I am not sure I can afford to go to London. So August may be okay. I've gotta talk to my friend again and see what's what.

Where: I figure we'll probably need to maybe get a cheapie hotel if there are lots of people. I feel really bad that Kierstin (sp?) had to put up with us all tromping around. SE's parents were awesome to let me stay at their place, but if there's more than one gal, that would be a bit awkward.

Why: Because everyone wants to watch me put dear ol' Gemm through the de-viralizing machine so that he won't infect anyone. (Much blood-letting and many unpleasantly dull instruments are involved). bwahahahaha I shall have my reeeeevenge!

Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »
Who: Me. After all, I have to "represent" for the women. /me wonders if she will be the only gal yet again...

What am I, chopped liver?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 01:51:32 AM »
Who: Don't even ask me to make you guess. It is I.

When: I'd be up for the last week of July, if that's cool? I'd like to spend a few extra days down there too. Just to hang out with Jeffe and SE a bit more.

Why: Because October was fun. This will be too.

Where: Well, whatever is decided upon I will make myself a necessary arrangement.

What: When everything starts to happen I enjoy just flowing with the wind and floating down the river. I mean, if Jeffe isn't up for cooking, I'm sure I can come up with some simple solution to food problems. (Remember the "poor-man's" lunch pizza I showed you guys. And which you then added your own touch to.) Games that you guys have will be cool. I may decide to bring my xbox again. I've got Gears of War and Call of Duty 3 now. Plus I may be getting another game or two before then.

I look forward to this, and would like to have more TWGers attend!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »
My family reunion is officially Jun 27 - Jul 1. I guess that means it works with Stacy's schedule, if just barely.

So, the 22-25th of June? I still have to clear that with my wife, but if I have a set of dates it'll be much easier.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 04:26:49 PM »
That's fine with me, but if more people say some other time, don't plan around me--we can still get together and have a local night with whoever's near.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 10:06:56 PM »
That works for me.
                William S. Burroughs

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 03:39:42 PM »
Ok, we need more people speaking up on this. C'mon everyone, what's doing?
                William S. Burroughs

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 06:42:35 PM »

What am I, chopped liver?
Eep. No, no, it was a posting error. You posted while I was working on my post, then posted right before I did. I just didn't notice a new reply. :P Come on, you know we need all the girl power we can get! ;)

June 22-25th sounds okay. I should be able to get off work w/ no problem. I think I start school on the 25th, though, so I'll probably have to leave early enough on Monday to get back for that night class.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 06:47:43 PM by Shrain »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 09:01:48 PM »
If there are enough folks I will do some leg work and see about a "con" space. The idea might encompass a place w/ a hot tub or pool at a discounted rate or something. Just throwing that out.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:42:55 AM »
FYI:  I may be floating around the East Coast (even potentially DC area) the last week of August.  Sounds like it wont be then, but if it is I'll try to make it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 03:57:15 AM »
Just to emphasize, though, I won't participate in much, even when I'm in town. One night is probably all I'll be able to afford to get away from the business end of things.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »
So noted, Stacy.

Jade, right now dates are not set in stone, they're just what works so far. I'm still hoping to hear from a couple people, so things *might* be revised. We just have tos ee.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 01:45:52 AM »
So, I have several games to Demo, and a few of them use the same mechanics...

In my Bag of tricks

Inspecters (Think about a cross between Buffy and the Real World)

Lacuna Second Attempt (spies in the Brain)

Octane (Trash america- Grindhouse meets Six String Samurai)

Agon- 300!

Spirit of the Century- Pulp

and maybe more.....
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!