Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42423 times)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »
Actaully, I kinda like the 4-button metal control idea, with a toggle to switch metal groups. BUT I don't think there's a good reason to allow anyone to be mistborn. I think that setting the game in the Mistborn 2.0 world would work better for those who like parties. Personally, I hate parties, but some games manage to be enjoyable despite them. With a party of allomancers, you can access multiple metals without the problem of having those overpowered mistborn dudes running around.

As an RPG, MMO or otherwise, hemalurgy or Lerasium could be used at level up to grant new metal usages and attributes. For example, if you start as a normal person, once you have enough X (money, xp, alignment points, quests, etc), you can get 1) a bead of Lerasium that adds the ability to burn a single metal or increases your power with a metal, 2) a hemalurgic spike to grant physical, mental, temporal, or sensory prowess (as the super-Inquisitors had), or 3) a hemalurgic spike to grant additional feruchemical or allomantic abilities. Then again, these could be handled outside the leveling system as permanent (lerasium, unremovable spikes) and temporary (non-harmful hemalurgic spikes) bonuses via an inventory screen.

The biggest disadvantage I see to this is that hemalurgy requires killing people. Killing people to level up, while an accepted method in video games, would make the character evil, period. And I really hate it when I can't play neutral.

What was that game that showed character hands and feet from first person and the acrobatic female main character? Is would remember, but I never played it. :P I haven't gotten around to Mass Effect or Bioshock yet either, but they're just after the Knights of the Old Republic games on my list, and I just got them. Yeah, I'm a little behind the times.

Anyway, as Brandon has said, it's not the abilities of a magic system that make it exciting, but the limitations and what clever things the character can do with them. A mistborn who breaks into an impregnable allomancer-guarded fortress? Totally normal. Someone who can do it with nothing but nicrosil? Bad. Ass.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2010, 12:55:10 AM »
What was that game that showed character hands and feet from first person and the acrobatic female main character? Is would remember, but I never played it. :P I haven't gotten around to Mass Effect or Bioshock yet either, but they're just after the Knights of the Old Republic games on my list, and I just got them. Yeah, I'm a little behind the times.

You're thinking of Mirror's edge. I hadn't thought of it, but comboing it with steel and iron would be fantastic. i wouldn't even need another metal as long as i could jump on people.

Twim'c

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2010, 05:57:15 AM »
I think anyone who has read Mistborn and plays video games has thought about this. However,  I do not think you could do it properly.

I think you would have the best chance at making a passable game if you played as a misting, but a full mistborn? There is just so much a mistborn can do that any attempt would kill either playability or the nature of actually being one.  Nearly everyone agrees that steel and iron would not work like it should. It would also be hard to keep track of yourself as you are flying about using coins, window latches, etc. as anchors. Or what if you are thrown backwards by a coinshot? Or when your movements are much faster with pewter (maybe not much of an issue)? Some solutions have been offered, but it seems that they all take control from the player, which does not capture the freedom of allomancy/mistborn.

Besides, a game could not really capture the spirit of Mistborn. I remember listening to Writing Excuses, and Sanderson talked about how early drafts of the fight scenes almost sounded like a game so he made it more fluid. Going back would not be as satisfying as it is in the books.

Still, if you theoretically made a Mistborn game... that would be incredible.
[color=808080]To whom is may concern...[/color]

Lord of 13

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2010, 08:15:18 PM »
Heh... I do program video games, but mostly open source stuff, since I'm just starting. I would love to try and experiment with this stuff in 2D XNA Game Studios because it would be pretty decent. Even if EA games doesn't want to do it, we could do a free opensource version with just fans.