Author Topic: Mistborn as a Video Game  (Read 42398 times)

Morinar

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Things that are...well...way messed up
Mistborn as a Video Game
« on: March 28, 2007, 05:03:22 AM »
Okay,  there's already a topic visualizing the book as movie, but I think we're missing the real boat.  I'm a software developer and serious video game fan, and this book has ALL the makings of a solid video game.

Basically, I'm envisioning something along the lines of Oblivion, a first person roleplaying game.  The magic system lends itself very strongly to the first person.  You could have a metal view mode where you see all the lines.  It'd be awesome.  Metal pushing and pulling could propel you all around the world spider-manish style.   It could also have a solid multiplayer mode, even a hazekiller vs. mistborn mode.  Also, Soothing and Rioting are classic dialog type skills, and the game could have tons of dialog choices.  There is just a ton of potential here.  Imagine a first person shooter with atium! Atium in multiplayer!  It really would be great.

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.  What do you all think?

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Mistborn as a Video Game
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:06:00 AM »
I actually pitched Mistborn as a VG to a local company.  Since they tended to do things smaller scale (X-Box Live Arcade) I pitched it as a side scroller Metroid/Castlvania style game.  Thought I had a really good argument, but the problem was that the property just wasn't a big enough deal yet to get them interested. 

However, I think it would be awesome as a game--particularly one like you just described.  That'd be a great way to use all of the powers. 
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

candylion

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:14:29 AM »
-dies-

I think it would be awesome as an mmorpg. Maybe that's just me and my irrational love for those. I could never get it out of my system. It could be like...WoW...but...different.

I make no sense.

-dies again-
IS TAKING COMMISSIONS!...I <3 any art so click on and send me a message. I'll probably draw it.

Morinar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:22:39 AM »
I think it would be awesome as an mmorpg. Maybe that's just me and my irrational love for those. I could never get it out of my system. It could be like...WoW...but...different.

I definitely see where you are going with that, but I really think that to pull the game off as an MMO, you'd really have to compromise the magic system.  Or make it different some how.  You can't have everyone using full magic all the time, and anything less makes the player feel like a pathetic skaa.

The only way to fully empower the player would be in a either a single player RPG or a first person shooter.  Or maybe some sort of hybrid of the two. 

That's what I think anyway.

vadia

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 05:53:54 AM »
I never thought that these type of games got the feel right.  Though I think that EUOL will be able to take more of the world through his undead hoards if it were made a computer game -- I fear that it is inevitable that the game will be as maloderous as 7 month old fish.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
I think that Mistborn, especially with the Mistings who each have their own little specialty, is ideal for a team-based tactical RPG--think of something along the lines of the Commandos series, where it's half action and half puzzle solving, and then toss in a stronger RPG element with a lot of dialogue options. That could be rad.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 04:55:32 PM »
That's how I see it too Fell, but EUOL hates tactical RPGs so that kills that version, hates MMOs too so that's dead as well.  Now if it was a Diablo clone we'd be in business.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 04:58:54 PM »
If EUOL gets money from video games sales, why would he care if it is a tactical RPG or a MMO?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 06:09:10 PM »
He wouldn't but that's probably never going to happen, he's got a better chance for a Mistborn movie, the video game industry doesn't care much for books as source.  He's going to have to bankroll at lest a portion of any game made.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

pengwenn

• Level 4
  • Is this my reality or yours?
    • View Profile
    • Life of a Gamer Girl
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:15:48 PM »
Ohhh . . . I can just image combat, not with swords and bows, but with coins being thrown about, bodies flying all around and mist and ash swirling in the air. 

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:29:32 PM »
If it is ever made into a game, I would go with the 1st person RPG, but I would love a two player co-op, since those are my favorite anyway. Either Halo style, or LEGO Starwars drop in/drop out play, or a combination of the two; Drop in/drop out where you didn't have to stay so close together. The physics engine that would require would be tricky, and the flying would be insanely hard without a really well thought out interface.

I want to help design it! (even though that would likely be a long time from now)

Phaz

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 07:01:57 PM »
I think a Knights of the old Republic mixed with God of War would be a fun.  KotR has some great ways to incorporate RPG elements, and the sweet action scenes in Mistborn would pair well with a God of War style I think.

The Jedi Knight series also had a great way of incorporating close range combat (light sabers) with 'magical powers.'  There was even a push/pull force power that could move objects.  I think the way they did it turned out quite good.

Regardless of what kind of game it was, I'm sure I'd buy a copy.

Morinar

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 04:37:16 AM »
I definitely think first person would be the key to making the game great, whether it's more shooter oriented or rpg oriented.

The only chance of seeing any sort of game come along soon would have to be a mod for a previous game.  While Oblivion would seem to be an obvious choice, I don't think it's physics engine is robust enough for all that's involved.  Some sort of Half-Life 2/Source mod would work better I think.  Pushing/Pulling has gravity gun mod written all over it.

That's actually a project I think it would be way cool to be a part of.  I have programming skills although I possess no creative abilities otherwise.  I wonder if it would actually be possible to get together a team of people.  Hmm...let's not even mention the problems that always arise from mods based on IP's not owned by the people creating them.

Oh well.  I suppose I'll just keep dreaming in the meantime.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »
If Mistborn were to be made into a game, I'd personally like to see it done just like "Fable." The ability to scroll through and assign different magic powers to the buttons could be done with the allomantic powers.  In "Fable" you have to get your reknown higher and higher by doing missions and helping people. Say, if the Mistborn game was from Kelsier's point of view, a large portion of the game would be to keep doing missions and helping people until he had a large enough following with the skaa. He would have to build his reputation within the skaa community in order to inspire them or something. I'm not a game developer, I lack certain skills. Just my opinion, albeit a crappy one. Have a good day.
-JoeC

bittersweet010102

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 09:34:51 PM »
woah video games...o_O. i actually havent read the book mistborn but i have it right now. it looks soo good! :-)